Hope at last: DFI to make mATX crossfire/SLI boards

are there any official reps from any of the mobo companies that come on this forum? kind of like how teamgroup, abit, gskill, and corsair reps hang out at xtremesystems?
Solicitation is probably banned like the more reputable sites do. XS lets companies distort the truth by letting the manufacturer's get involved and people buy into the hype.

I like to believe most manufacturers have at least one paid scout to lurk the internet and identify current trends. OCZ built a company out of it. At the very least, WOM spreads, so the source doesn't necessarily matter as long as there are enough people asking for something.

Solicitation is probably banned like the more reputable sites do. XS lets companies distort the truth by letting the manufacturer's get involved and people buy into the hype.

I like to believe most manufacturers have at least one paid scout to lurk the internet and identify current trends. OCZ built a company out of it. At the very least, WOM spreads, so the source doesn't necessarily matter as long as there are enough people asking for something.

bwahaha. true. true. it'd all go downhill once someone starts soliciting stuff on the forums. becomes a selling site instead with fan boys hollaring net profanities at each other..

but once again i'm here to re-iterate on how much i hate the manufacturers for not coming out with an matx sli board yet. i don't even care if it's 4x, just let me play dammit! slap a 650i/750i on a 710i matx board, add a 4x slot, and boom! sli! punks... does it really cost that much more to subtract a 1x pcie and add a 4x or a 16x pcie slot? i know it's not as simple as that, but i'm pretty damm sure that the chipsets can handle it.

hell, i paid $140 for my damm g33m-ds2r precisely because of the fact that it can do crossfire. even though it's handicapped at 4x... no worries though, just as long as it does it. not like the video cards use all that 8x/16x bandwidth on the fully fledged version anyways.

I would hope DFI wouldnt make the mistake of SLI at 4x. Might as well not even bother to make a SLI mobo if they were to do that. However I do expect them to make it 8x or full 16x. My guess is that other companies havent bothered in the past due to the belief there isnt much of a demand or market for mATX SLI mobos. They wont know though till they give it a good try. DFI seems to think there is a market even if its a small one. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

anyone have sales numbers on evga sli matx boards? were they so bad no one else wants a try at matx sli?

I would hope DFI wouldnt make the mistake of SLI at 4x. Might as well not even bother to make a SLI mobo if they were to do that. However I do expect them to make it 8x or full 16x. My guess is that other companies havent bothered in the past due to the belief there isnt much of a demand or market for mATX SLI mobos. They wont know though till they give it a good try. DFI seems to think there is a market even if its a small one. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

yah, if it has sli slapped on the box i'm sure it'd be at least 8x. they don't have crossfire on the boxes for the matx crossfire capable mobos, but they don't support the full 8 lanes i guess...

you can already buy a shuttle on newegg with a x38 chipset and crossfire but it costs a fortune,

i do hope DFi come up with the goods because im loving my full size atx board by them at the moment
CF on the SX38P2 is useless; you can only put in two single-slot DAAMiT cards; the best of which is the 3870; why get two of those when you could get an x2 instead?

Only way I could see a dual-VGA solution being remotely worthwhile is by them making a 780i version and getting two of those single-slot BFG 8800gtx cards with the DD waterblocks.

bwahaha. true. true. it'd all go downhill once someone starts soliciting stuff on the forums. becomes a selling site instead with fan boys hollaring net profanities at each other..

but once again i'm here to re-iterate on how much i hate the manufacturers for not coming out with an matx sli board yet. i don't even care if it's 4x, just let me play dammit! slap a 650i/750i on a 710i matx board, add a 4x slot, and boom! sli! punks... does it really cost that much more to subtract a 1x pcie and add a 4x or a 16x pcie slot? i know it's not as simple as that, but i'm pretty damm sure that the chipsets can handle it.

hell, i paid $140 for my damm g33m-ds2r precisely because of the fact that it can do crossfire. even though it's handicapped at 4x... no worries though, just as long as it does it. not like the video cards use all that 8x/16x bandwidth on the fully fledged version anyways.
You know I was actually thinking of going Crossfire when I first saw the x4 slot on the Gigabyte board... but apparently that x4 slot is a fairly big handicapper. THG has shockingly been coming out with some decent articles lately and I read this today.

Nothing yet. Info other than the original announcement has been scarce. :(

oh yeah, my next rig will be a DFI board, 32nm quad core, a home made mATX case, and two of the latest geforces:D

Its not really a SFF case but I think the Mountain Mods H2gO case would do an excellent job of holding and cooling any SLI/CF set up. Pricey though. I've heard that the SG03 would work as well but I havent seen any proof of it. It'll be interesting to see what the SFF case manufacturers do in response to a new dual card mATX mobo. :D

Edit: Last night I went surfing the net to see if I could find any more info about these mobos. DFI didnt have anything on their website about it. DFI is known to be pretty tight lipped about their products though until they want people to know about it. I even went over to Angry_Gamer's personal website (he used to run/host DFI-Street which is no longer) and didnt find any info there either. We'll just have to wait for DFI or some professional reviewer to leak the info when its ready.

Its not really a SFF case but I think the Mountain Mods H2gO case would do an excellent job of holding and cooling any SLI/CF set up. Pricey though. I've heard that the SG03 would work as well but I havent seen any proof of it. It'll be interesting to see what the SFF case manufacturers do in response to a new dual card mATX mobo. :D

Those H2Go cases are pretty cool. I would rather see a manufacturer make a TRUE mAtx case with the mobo on top and psu/drives below, kinda the reverse of the X-Qpack clones. I'd buy that. And a SLi mAtx mobo to go with it!

nothing at cebit so far. i've been snooping around forums and sites, but no dfi sli matx anywhere. if it's a no show at cebit it's probably a no show this year... why?! why?! WHY!?!!!

i just want dual 16x's to run 4x 1080p displays at once.

return to oldschool soundstorm would be _excellent_ but i dont think anyone has interest in picking up the dolby licenses. its a bloody shame too.

y'all want to see matx sli? i'm gettin the urge to go snooping around forums to try n get the matx sli crowd goin. dont know how well i'll do, but still just thinking about doing it. give me some motivation! you guys up for gettin a little rowdy? all these nice 9600gt's in sli doin better than 8800gtx and stuff has really pushed me into more than just another eh, i'll wait and see guy... anyone start anything already that i can help out with?

What exactly are you proposing, Xkon? If you are talking about just generating talk and what have you then its fine as long as the info keeps to facts. We need to try and avoid the rumor mill as much as possible or all kinds of incorrect info will be posted everywhere and totally confusing people. :D

well. i'm not too sure at the moment. some ideas would be good. petitioning individual manufacturers good at all? post an i want sli/crossfire matx board on every tech forum you know of?

like you guys said, gotta have outstanding onboard audio. get rid of onboard GPU, FDD connection. relocate sata connectors because 2 big video cards are gonna get in the way, and how are they gonna fit the southbridge cooling. I love the idea of a true gaming matx motherboard that has loads of overclocking abilities, but lets see if they can pull it off. I hope they can, I wish them luck.

Seems like with a "Lan Party" brand, hardcore mATX systems would be a no-brainer....

Yeah, it's the new thing to try and make your on-board graphics not totally worthless. In reality it won't be much better but will be a little better.

I'd think that if they get these mATX sli/cf boards out there, these boards will compete with the company's own 'higher end' offerings and can't squeeze the extra dough outta us :p

that aside, i really want to see a mATX sli/cf board! the joys of LAN Parties without breaking my back...I'd want that.

I got this opinion that a SLI/CF mATX mobo wouldnt hurt the higher end ATX versions. The higher end ATX version mobos offers more features and better overclocking. That plus since the mATX sector is much smaller than the ATX sector I dont see it hurting sales on the ATX side except maybe on the low end mobos and probably wouldnt hurt it that much if at all. I could be completely wrong about it though but as I said just an opinion I have so far. Sure would be nice to see if it holds water or not though.:D

I got this opinion that a SLI/CF mATX mobo wouldnt hurt the higher end ATX versions. The higher end ATX version mobos offers more features and better overclocking. That plus since the mATX sector is much smaller than the ATX sector I dont see it hurting sales on the ATX side except maybe on the low end mobos and probably wouldnt hurt it that much if at all. I could be completely wrong about it though but as I said just an opinion I have so far. Sure would be nice to see if it holds water or not though.:D

Same thinking :D

However, if they strip most of the 'unneeded' functions, such as multimedia and excessive 'storage' capacity, then the motherboard should be more than viable.

Imagine if the mobo has the minimum specs...but can run xfire/sli (and has a decent sound solution). That should help lower costs somewhat and still produce a kickass board!

the dual x8 slot limitation is what screwed over the evga board. :(

Same here, the 939 SLI board was nice in concept but failed when OCers & even mild power users tried to beef up the performance. I know I went through 2 boards and I blame Foxconn, not really EVGA, for the motherboard failure. (It is true EVGA did not make boards til this year; they subcontracted Foxconn in the past)

any more news? twiddling my thumbs with an 8800gtx here. might get 2 since it's selling pretty cheap now.

Nope. We're still waiting to see what DFI does. I've always thought summer at the earliest. Supposedly G45 mATX mobos start releasing in June. I've heard rumors of the third week in June so I'm thinking it'll be after that. I got a hunch DFI will use G45 mATX for their platform but its just a wild guess on my part. If so probably July at the earliest. Meanwhile its a waiting game to see what DFI does or doesnt do.

Very much looking forward to some of the new releases. A P45 based mATX combined with the new Nvidia 280 GTX in a SG03 case should make for an awesome gaming box with a very convenient form factor. And if we do get a SLI mobo it will be 2 x 8 lanes because this is all the P45 can manage. However those lanes will be PCIe V2.0 so carrying the same bandwidth as the old 2 x 16 V1.1 motherboards.

Dual 280's in a SFF box makes me dizzy :)

yea....like bringing back DFI Street.

seriously dfi failed letting thoes guys go...

Back