Hope at last: DFI to make mATX crossfire/SLI boards

DFI Website said:
2 PCI Express (Gen 2) x16 slots
- 2-way CrossFire: One slot operating at x8 (8-lane port) or two slots each operating at x8 (8-lane ports) bandwidth

I thought it was supposed to be x16 with one card and split to x8 if you use two cards in Crossfire?

I thought it was supposed to be x16 with one card and split to x8 if you use two cards in Crossfire?

Maybe that would impact the 4870X2 but PCI-e2 8x is probably enough for every other single card and I say the 4870x2 might be affected.

Either someone at DFI put in the wrong specs or DFI managed to implement the P45 chipset in a non-standard way on their motherboard. I'd guess the former.

Either someone at DFI put in the wrong specs or DFI managed to implement the P45 chipset in a non-standard way on their motherboard. I'd guess the former.

so which one is it?

is the 2 x 8x due to the chipset being p45 and not x45? is that why it's 2 x 8x and not 2 x 16x? :(

Yeah, the way they worded it doesnt sound right. I'm guessing its a misprint but we'll have to wait and see.

Yeah, the way they worded it doesnt sound right. I'm guessing its a misprint but we'll have to wait and see.

I get my mb on tuesday, is there anyway to tell if it's @ 8x or 16x? (sorry for the newber question, but I honestly have no idea how to test it :D)

I get my mb on tuesday, is there anyway to tell if it's @ 8x or 16x? (sorry for the newber question, but I honestly have no idea how to test it :D)

Sure, you can use GPU-Z to see how many lanes a card is using.

I actually have my JR P45-T2RS in my hands now, but I'm going to be gone all weekend and won't be able to do anything with it until Sunday, so I can't offer any personal experiences until then.

Sure, you can use GPU-Z to see how many lanes a card is using.

I actually have my JR P45-T2RS in my hands now, but I'm going to be gone all weekend and won't be able to do anything with it until Sunday, so I can't offer any personal experiences until then.

haha sounds like me, since my cousin is here from "aussie land" w/ his friends to party for the weekend, I get to play "host" :(

If the mobo manual says 16X then that would dispute what their website says. I can see them doing 8X when both slots used but 8X for a single setup is just silly in today's world. Especially for a mobo costing over $100.

Wish I had something positive to report, however it appears my DFI LP JR P45-T2RS had a manufacturing defect and has rendered itself a doorstop.

I moved my components to the DFI board, powered up, all was well for about 5 minutes, then there was a strong burning smell, so I powered down immediately. I checked all power cables and fans, made sure everything was connected properly and there were no obstructions, could not find any obvious scorch marks or source of the burning smell, so I tried to power it up, but no boot, the fans spin and the power light is on but the monitor gets no signal. Shut down, transferred all components back into the original motherboard, where everything operates normally. ***sigh***

I'll let you all know how DFI's RMA process is, since it looks like Motherboard Pro doesn't do RMAs at all.

Wish I had something positive to report, however it appears my DFI LP JR P45-T2RS had a manufacturing defect and has rendered itself a doorstop.

I moved my components to the DFI board, powered up, all was well for about 5 minutes, then there was a strong burning smell, so I powered down immediately. I checked all power cables and fans, made sure everything was connected properly and there were no obstructions, could not find any obvious scorch marks or source of the burning smell, so I tried to power it up, but no boot, the fans spin and the power light is on but the monitor gets no signal. Shut down, transferred all components back into the original motherboard, where everything operates normally. ***sigh***

I'll let you all know how DFI's RMA process is, since it looks like Motherboard Pro doesn't do RMAs at all.

Sorry to hear you got a dud. Hopefully it's just a one-off thing and not an indication of the quality of this model.

I'll probably order mine soon, I plan to pair it with a Q6600 and a SUGO-03. Things might get a bit toasty in the small case but I plan to overclock all the same. I probably won't get as good of results as others using this board however.

To anyone with the board. Is it true that the northbridge cooler is partially removable? Leaving an IHS-like plate in place? I recall reading this, but cannot remember if it was for this board or not.

Well, just People's Elbowed my wallet and jumped on a pre-order for the last DFI Jr.

ugh.

They take returns... When did you buy it? Make sure you didn't ground out on something.

MotherboardPro said:
New DFI Motherboards purchased from MotherboardPro.com NOW come with a 30 days DOA (Dead on arrival) warranty and *Return (After 30 days) are to go back to the Manufacturer’s for the standard DFI warranty

New Motherboards

New boards purchased from MotherboardPro.com come with a 15 days DOA (Dead on arrival) warranty and *Return (After 15 days) are to go back to the Manufacturer’s for the standard warranty
An extended warranty period, just for DFI! That's the good old DFI I remember... [Madly crosses fingers]

They take returns... When did you buy it? Make sure you didn't ground out on something.

I received the board on Friday - that's good to see that Motherboard Pro does have a DOA policy, all I could find was their page where they said their warranty for products sold was "as-is". AFAIK, nothing was grounding out. I literally went over every inch of the build with a flashlight, and had taken my time putting it together (about 6 hours of work in the SG02B-F).

Nray,
Sorry to hear about the dud. Hopefully you can get it rectified quickly and painlessly.

doh! sux. was hopin someone on here had some solid results. grrr... any dates on the 790gx?

I was called last Wednesday when I placed mine order that the could send me the board but the box was totally destroyed. I told them I would wait until tuesday (tomorrow) before they get their supply in again from DFI. I guess they deal directly with DFI and everything ships out of DFI's warehouse.

I'm curious was the heatsink pulled off somehow off the power phase IC's? They overheated and burned internally? When I get mine in I'm going to make sure it's contacting everything that's hooked up too the heatsink. If you smelled some burning and their is no sign of burning. Sounds like something under the heatsinks...

doh! sux. was hopin someone on here had some solid results. grrr... any dates on the 790gx?

Message I received from DFI:

The LP JR 790GX-M2RS will be officially launched at the end of Aug. The first shipment will be arrived early Sept. Please search www.newegg.com for availability.
Thanks

DFI San Jose

I contacted Newegg and they said they could not tell me / release that information.
I contacted DirectCanada and they said they have a purchase order placed for them but do not have a firm date for receipt of shipment yet.
I have also contacted a couple other companies but I am still waiting on return emails.

I'm curious was the heatsink pulled off somehow off the power phase IC's? They overheated and burned internally? When I get mine in I'm going to make sure it's contacting everything that's hooked up too the heatsink. If you smelled some burning and their is no sign of burning. Sounds like something under the heatsinks...

The heatsinks seem to be attached very well, and I'm not going to mess with them before I send the board back, however I do think I found what might be the culprit - there is some discoloration across the surface of a PLL IC near the northbridge chip - "ICS 9LPRS918JKLF". I think there's a good chance it's what burned out.

Doh! :eek: Go, go, Newegg...

Well at least I should have mine tomorrow and will try to report results, although don't count on it.

Doh! :eek: Go, go, Newegg...

Well at least I should have mine tomorrow and will try to report results, although don't count on it.

damn me too...i guess paying 30 bucks more and getting it a few days earlier was worth it...:eek: (sigh)

lol. i hope newegg is price gouging right now. that way i can get it even cheaper later. :D

neweggs specifications:
Expansion Slots
PCI Express 2.0 x16 1 x16 or 2 x16 Graphic Slots in 2 x8 lanes by IC switch
PCI Express x1 2
PCI Slots 2

and all that on a matx board :rolleyes:

Well, NE's page says its one 16X or two 8x lanes so that helps clears things up about wether its 16x or 8x. A shame its not 16x in dual setup but thats the way its going to be I guess. Better than nothing I suppose.

Ok, so if we use only one 16x video card and then use a PCIe 1x TV tuner card in the PCIe 1x slot or in the second PCIe 16x slot, will the single 16x video card still get a full 16 lanes?

Ok, so if we use only one 16x video card and then use a PCIe 1x TV tuner card in the PCIe 1x slot or in the second PCIe 16x slot, will the single 16x video card still get a full 16 lanes?

AFAIK as soon as you put PCIe cards in both PCIe x16 slots, they both become x8. You must leave one PCIe x16 slot empty to have x16 lanes in the other. (The PCIe x1 slot is independent of both x16 slots.)

DFI made the excellent mb matx but for dothan: 855GME-MGF
IMG_0011copier.jpg

Now it strikes back with
the DFI Lanparty JR P45 T2RS
IMG_0013copier.jpg

Upcoming test w/ ultra120extreme & e7200/e8600
Stay tuned

pvhk,

Please Make a New Thread Called "The DFI LP Jr P45 T2RS Thread" in this forum and link to it in this thread!

The GA G33 DS2R and P5E VM HDMI have their own, this board deserves its own!

Besides, this thread is 12 pages of speculation and involves more than just one board.

Give birth to the new Aeon dude!

New Thread FTW!

[EDIT] - ROFL!? They give you a floppy!?

Well, NE's page says its one 16X or two 8x lanes so that helps clears things up about wether its 16x or 8x. A shame its not 16x in dual setup but thats the way its going to be I guess. Better than nothing I suppose.

I'd guess the reason for this is because dual x16 would require more PCB levels and DFI didn't want this thing to be more expensive than anyone can afford.

Either that or some sort of chipset limitation.

Back