Hosts file!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomciob

Limp Gawd
how bout installing spybot?
it has the option to fill your host file with a bunch of blacklisted spyware and ad servers

anybody try this?

Sorry but I was slashdotted on Jan 19th. i have had to remove the unzipped version.
HOSTS.zip
[/B]

Enjoy!!!!!!!

Removed over 2000 dead links.

Added another 1500 new add and adult sites.

Compiled 4 other host files together and removed duplicates.

Fixed wierd issue with Windows update on older windows 9X boxes.

Broken record

If you are running XP (home or pro) DISABLE THE DNS SERVICE!

Before the next update I am going to go through my spam assassin e-mails and add all of the sites that are linked in those wonderful e-mails.

L8r Days & Waves...........

another 1.8 mb hosts file.

have at it

cannonfotter, if you want to integrate this into your hosts file to make the super-ultra-uber-awesome hosts file, by all means. :)

oh, and cannonfotter.. why use 0.0.0.0 instead of 127.0.0.1?

With 127.0.0.1 you pc looks for a web server on your local machine for the missing site/ad/whatever. 0.0.0.0 is an illegal address and is rejected in less than 10ms vs 100-500 + ms.

In other words its just faster.

The new host file is avaible for your enjoyment.

Host file from hell

i can't say i like the new file, it blocks some of my favourite sites, like landover baptist....

the idea is that you edit out what you need. the original took out pobox.com, but someone i know uses that site to host images, so i had to reenable it.

if you need a site, then just re-enable it. after a week or so of surfing, it'll be perfectly customized to you.

This is great thanks. I have fewer worries aboot shady websites, and now I can view the Internet the way that Al Gore originally intended it to be.;)

Originally posted by CannonFotter
With 127.0.0.1 you pc looks for a web server on your local machine for the missing site/ad/whatever. 0.0.0.0 is an illegal address and is rejected in less than 10ms vs 100-500 + ms.

In other words its just faster.

The new host file is avaible for your enjoyment.

Host file from hell

But with this new format,, eDexter nolonger works correctly. On blocked page I used to get SHIMER ME TIMBERS, cos the eDexter kicked in.

Is this happening just because of the format?

this works good, but then it slowed down da internet a little...anything I can do about that?

Damn you guys rock! I got Walleye's list and Greyryder's list. Cannonfotter can you upload your hosts file to your link again? Cause it doesn't work when I click on it. Talk about mad hosts files dudes holy crap!

About DNS, if I disable this, will it interfear with my home network and internet connection sharing? I'm afraid to disable it. I did paste all this stuff into my hosts file though and then i couldn't surf the internet even after I rebooted because it took WAY to long for the web pages to load. If I turn off DNS like you say will that fix that problem? I also am using dial up for now until i move in a couple months. Will this large hosts file have an effect on my slow dial up connection? Should I wait to use this file until I get broadband again?

Thanks dudes.

Originally posted by rive22

About DNS, if I disable this, will it interfear with my home network and internet connection sharing? I'm afraid to disable it. I did paste all this stuff into my hosts file though and then i couldn't surf the internet even after I rebooted because it took WAY to long for the web pages to load. If I turn off DNS like you say will that fix that problem? I also am using dial up for now until i move in a couple months. Will this large hosts file have an effect on my slow dial up connection? Should I wait to use this file until I get broadband again?

Thanks dudes.

DISABLE THAT DNS SERVICES CRAP! Trust meeeee!

I'm running a smal LAN at home and all of my computers have DNS services disable.

One thing to note.

CannonFotter, when you use 0.0.0.0 as the ip address, it doesnt show the error message of things that get cut out.

just a note.

One big problem i've had with it.

Cannonfotter, you need to put the localhost line back in. otherwise it declares the first line as localhost, and leads to massive confusion on my part when netstat -a reads out some obscure russian adds site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back