HOT! Am3 combo from Micro Center

I picked up a 555 and MSI 785G-E53 the other day. $118 out the door, plus a $20 MIR to send in. CPU unlocked to a try core with the board, and for it being a mid range board has near spot on voltages. 1.45vcore set in BIOS = 1.448 idle / 1.456 load. Great layout, and the board's cooling is pretty good, doesnt go over 27c after replacing TIM on the NB.

Hmm sounds like good stuff. My friend is looking to build an AMD build for cheap. This should certainly help.

Indeed it is. Nice board for the price.

I picked up a 555 and MSI 785G-E53 the other day. $118 out the door, plus a $20 MIR to send in. CPU unlocked to a try core with the board, and for it being a mid range board has near spot on voltages. 1.45vcore set in BIOS = 1.448 idle / 1.456 load. Great layout, and the board's cooling is pretty good, doesnt go over 27c after replacing TIM on the NB.

Same, it's a pretty great deal for the price. I haven't tried unlocking it yet, but I am running 3.74ghz on the stock cooler right now and am stress testing sitting at 50C. Wish I woulda picked up the 635 though. (Unless I can get it to unlock.)

Nice price, but biostar has just about the ugliest mobos ever.

how are any of these combos compare to the old intel core 2 quad at 3.0ghz?
how great are the amd in oc these days?

Excellent price! I was considering building an HTPC this will be perfect. Bit of a drive for me, but a 45 min drive to save some $$$ is worth it.

Dang, that a great deal. I just recently ordered a Phenom II X2 555 for $85 from ewiz and a Asus M4A785-M for $65 and thought $150 shipped was a okay price. Of course no microcenter anywhere near where I live anyway. I have a fry's close, but they always seem to bundle the lowest end mobo's.

if anyone is interested in these, send me a PM, and I can pick em up and ship em to you.

My MC has a bunch of these. (with the nice MSI board)

This is a VERY tempting deal, considering I'm still in s939 age with my 9800gtx+

P.S. Someone needs to find some cheap DDR3...

this deal has been going on for months but still a good deal. Cranked my 635 up to 4ghz no problem with a mugen II I had laying around.

The free mobo I got with mine was not the proper chip set for unlocking cores so i passed on the 555. I'll take the guaranteed quad.

they only had 1 board left in stock in my town so i snagged it, picked the 635. I'll do research and see if it's worth it over the 555, can always change that out when I go pick it up.

This is the third time in recent memory they've done this. And I've bought one each time haha.

this deal has been going on for months but still a good deal. Cranked my 635 up to 4ghz no problem with a mugen II I had laying around.

The free mobo I got with mine was not the proper chip set for unlocking cores so i passed on the 555. I'll take the guaranteed quad.
Which mobo are you talking about, cause as far as I remember they only have done this with 760g and 785g boards, both of which unlock.
they only had 1 board left in stock in my town so i snagged it, picked the 635. I'll do research and see if it's worth it over the 555, can always change that out when I go pick it up.
It depends on what you do. For one the 555 has an unlocked multi which will help with OCing, also its faster clock for clock when not doing multi threaded stuff.

If you ask them to go back and get a CPMW or EPMW batch then you have a better chance at unlocking.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148194

Best deal I can find right off the top for DDR3 to pair with this. 2x1GB Crucial PC3-10600 for $48 +$2 Shipping.

$50 for 2gb of crappy ram is a good deal?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=gskill_eco_1600-_-20-231-321-_-Product
Thats the best set for the money.

If thats too much at least spring for a cheap 1600 2x2 kit like these,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227558

I'm going to rebuild my WHS box, and I'm leaning toward the 635. I do some video encoding sometimes on that machine sometimes just to free up my desktop PC but the 5050e in there just isn't cutting it for me.

Of course, I'd rather just go all out and get the 1055t, but I'm trying to stay reasonable here. :)

You'll want all the cores in your WHS you can get once WHS v2 (aka Vail) comes out. It does on-the-fly video transcoding, which is a demanding process.

Edit: plus, you could join our folding @ home team and put those 6 cores to work! :)

When I got mine I only had to pay $10 for it, guess that deal ended on Friday.

When I got mine I only had to pay $10 for it, guess that deal ended on Friday.

Same, mine was $109.99 + tax out the door with a 20MIR. So, basically they paid me $10 to buy the mobo. lol

(The MSI 785G-E53.)

if anyone is interested in these, send me a PM, and I can pick em up and ship em to you.

My MC has a bunch of these. (with the nice MSI board)

This is a VERY tempting deal, considering I'm still in s939 age with my 9800gtx+

P.S. Someone needs to find some cheap DDR3...

YGPM. I'll take you up on that offer.

They also offer $40 off ANY compatable mobo with just about any AMD CPU, something to think about if you want a thuban and 890 series board.

On the 785G-E53 motherboard, I had a ton of trouble trying to unlock my 555BE. I noticed that just turning on ACC would make my solid 2 cores crash (with the 3.6 bios). I reverted to the 3.2 bios (mine came with 3.4) and I am now happy to report that I am running 3 cores @3.8ghz (stock cooler) solid. I have not tried to do any voltage adjustments to get the 4th up and running yet.

Just some info for those of you who take the chance on the 555.

Edit: FYI, the core I have deactivated to make stable without voltage change is Core #2.

Last edited:
I jumped on this deal last time with the 630 quad and same mobo. It's been running at 3.5ghz 24/7 stock heatsink ever since I got it. :)

Man I kind of want the Phenom II X6 + TA785-A2 ATX. I am not a big fan of matx. Any idea how much better is the X6 compare to my Phenom II x4 940 BE?

Back