Hot glue on Motherboard?

KoZLop

[H]ard|Gawd
The clip for the northbridge heatsink keeps popping off. I put alittle super glue on it and it still manage to pop off. so I was wondering if i could put hot glue on the motherboard itself?

If superglue doesn't hold it I don't think you will get hot glue too. Get some thermal epoxy and mount the heatsink that way.

well i was going to put glue on the motherboard aswell. Just didn't know if i will mess up the circuitry traces.

Hot melt glue is used all the time in the electronics industry to hold wires to the motherboard when making PBC modifications. Wont hurt a thing and can be removed much easier than expoxy which could bond to a trace and cause problems later if ever needed to be removed.

You can do what I did.

AS5 in the middle of the chip, and a TINY bit of Hot glue around the corners...

i use arctic alumina thermal epoxy, and i mix in about 25-33% as5. this way it sticks very good, but its not permanent. the hot glue will not hurt your board, but there isnt much for it to grab onto. it will pop right off the board after a couple hours vibration.

KoZLop said:
well i was going to put glue on the motherboard aswell. Just didn't know if i will mess up the circuitry traces.
We use it all the time on prototype boards, non PC industry...

You can even put it on VRM coils, as this helps get rid of noise sometimes.

Back