Hot: Lenovo Multimedia Remote with Keyboard Optical Ball $35.99 New V2 Model

Not sure it beats the Dinovo Mini, but for the price...definitely.

I've seen a few reviews on youtube and they love it. Basically, you can text a hellva lot faster than you can type on a keyboard. I have the Logitech Revue and that thing has a very sweet keyboard, but this thing is 10x faster still. The optical tracking ball doesn't actually move but tracks very fast / well. Has lighted keys and they did away with the gloss finish. Also, a host of other improvements. Has a wireless nano adaptor that fits in the palm of the device. This is also great for your PC in your bedroom if you have a large monitor as you can use Windows 7 Media Center feature to pick among your movies etc. For $36 this is a sweet deal.

nice find op. i bit! also free shipping to hawaii :) cant pass on that

nice find op. i bit! also free shipping to hawaii :) cant pass on that

hawaii w00t! yeah this on the $40+FS to hawaii a few months ago pretty soon after it came out. i LOVE it. definitely an awesome HTPC remote, and the backlight is a much-needed improvement over the original.

I just bought a full size keyboard and mouse from costco for twice the price, this thing any better? I can probably return this stuff to costco but I'm not sure.

I just bought a full size keyboard and mouse from costco for twice the price, this thing any better? I can probably return this stuff to costco but I'm not sure.

depends what you want. if you want a fast, accurate mouse and a keyboard you can type more than a few words on with easy to find function and punctuation keys, keep what you have. if you want a super compact, well-featured remote that doesnt take up space on your coffee table and doesnt need a mouse pad then definitely get this. basically for htpc uses its perfect. for normal computer use its pretty limiting. :)

I got one of these the last time it went on sale. There's a lot to like about it but I preferred the trackball on the old one. On mine the mouse censor is a little too recessed so you have to pay attention to where your thumb is whereas on the trackball that wasn't an issue. I do like being able to left-click with the sensor though.

Was going to pick this up last night, but I found a sweet phone app that can control my media center called unified remote.

I have the previous generation and it is truly incredible. The signal sometimes becomes unresponsive, but that only last but a few milliseconds. My only gripe was that it wasn't back-lit. Since this one is I might have to jump on it.

Until they put "trigger style" mouse buttons on this thing on the underside, I'll not be buying it. I love the way these things feel in my hand when mousing, but to drag/select requires two hands, and its not really built for two hands when using the mouse. Putting trigger style mouse buttons on the underside would fix that, and make this thing SO much easier to use.

The fact that its not lighted is a big minus, too.

I like this Rii much better, and its also 35 bux.

Yes, you still need two hands, but its not nearly as awkward to do so, and its backlit.

BB

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Until they put "trigger style" mouse buttons on this thing on the underside, I'll not be buying it. I love the way these things feel in my hand when mousing, but to drag/select requires two hands, and its not really built for two hands when using the mouse. Putting trigger style mouse buttons on the underside would fix that, and make this thing SO much easier to use.

Yes, you still need two hands, but its not nearly as awkward to do so, and its backlit.

BB

It is backlit...That was the biggest improvement from v1 to v2 (I never had a problem with the trackball, so having the touchpad is a wash).
Black-light keyboard with on/off switch to save battery life

BB

Spot on with the dragging/select issue. But this new version is back lit

Basically, you can text a hellva lot faster than you can type on a keyboard.

Absolutely not true...for me, anyway. I've been using the DiNovo Mini for a few years now and have used the keyboard to make posts, and even after all that time it is still not even close to being as fast as a normal keyboard. This is simply because you are only using your thumbs to hit keys, so your speed goes from using 10 fingers to two. It's not awful but I definitely prefer a normal keyboard.

Recently I set up an HTPC system for my GF's dad, and ended up getting a Logitech K400 for him. I actually really like it other than the fact that it's not backlit. I'd consider using it over the DiNovo Mini if it had that feature.

The DiNovo Mini is better as a small HTPC remote type thing, but sometimes I want to type on a real keyboard when sitting on the couch. Those tiny "text" keyboards just make that frustrating to me.

Absolutely not true...for me, anyway. I've been using the DiNovo Mini for a few years now and have used the keyboard to make posts, and even after all that time it is still not even close to being as fast as a normal keyboard. This is simply because you are only using your thumbs to hit keys, so your speed goes from using 10 fingers to two. It's not awful but I definitely prefer a normal keyboard.

Recently I set up an HTPC system for my GF's dad, and ended up getting a Logitech K400 for him. I actually really like it other than the fact that it's not backlit. I'd consider using it over the DiNovo Mini if it had that feature.

The DiNovo Mini is better as a small HTPC remote type thing, but sometimes I want to type on a real keyboard when sitting on the couch. Those tiny "text" keyboards just make that frustrating to me.

Yeah, there really is no comparison. I just ordered this v2, but I also have a wireless mechanical keyboard for actual typing and a harmony one for regular tv browsing. Each serves a very distinct purpose and audience (I think I'll use the keyboard/mouse while the gf uses the lenovo keyboard).

In for one, sounds like it's good to keep my wireless keyboard for the HTPC too though. So now I just need a wireless keyboard, wireless mouse, this Lenovo gadget, and MCE remote and I should be good I think?

In for one, sounds like it's good to keep my wireless keyboard for the HTPC too though. So now I just need a wireless keyboard, wireless mouse, this Lenovo gadget, and MCE remote and I should be good I think?

well if you have all of those you dont really need this. i feel like its more of a single device that does everything adequately, but nothing great. its best use is to simplify your HTPC setup by being your one device that controls all of your htpc functions in one tiny package. it doesnt type as well as a keyboard, it doesnt mouse as well as a mouse, it doesnt remote as well as a harmony 1 or MCE remote or whatever. but it does do everything you need to do on your htpc adequately and in a single, small device. i would either go with the keyboard AND mouse AND remote, OR this one device depending on whether you want the most functions and ease of use possible, or just a clean, simple, single interfacing tool.

I am in for one,thanks op. It said est ship date was 12/20/2011 so it will be a bit of a wait.

Mine just came in. Its pretty nice,posting with it now. Glad it didn't take as long as they said.

yeah that date was a lie. ups shows tomorrow for me.

edit: now it shows out for delivery :)

Got mine, the backlight is very uneven but it does work, seems like a breat buy I jsut wish they would have been on sale earlier!. Not sure if I should take back the wireless keyboard and mouse I purchased, but it seems silly to have this device MCE remote AND a keyboard AND a mouse, just to use the HTPC? Am I over thinking this? What does everyone else plan on doing? Or is this typical to have all of these devices on your living room coffee table?

well if you have all of those you dont really need this. i feel like its more of a single device that does everything adequately, but nothing great. its best use is to simplify your HTPC setup by being your one device that controls all of your htpc functions in one tiny package. it doesnt type as well as a keyboard, it doesnt mouse as well as a mouse, it doesnt remote as well as a harmony 1 or MCE remote or whatever. but it does do everything you need to do on your htpc adequately and in a single, small device. i would either go with the keyboard AND mouse AND remote, OR this one device depending on whether you want the most functions and ease of use possible, or just a clean, simple, single interfacing tool.

Got mine, the backlight is very uneven but it does work, seems like a breat buy I jsut wish they would have been on sale earlier!. Not sure if I should take back the wireless keyboard and mouse I purchased, but it seems silly to have this device MCE remote AND a keyboard AND a mouse, just to use the HTPC? Am I over thinking this? What does everyone else plan on doing? Or is this typical to have all of these devices on your living room coffee table?

missed this?

missed this?

Yea lol. I think I will return the keyboard and mouse to costco.

The MCE remote does not do everything because I need to type a password when I reboot the HTPC. I'd love to disable the password, but then I can't RDP into the computer....

Yea lol. I think I will return the keyboard and mouse to costco.

The MCE remote does not do everything because I need to type a password when I reboot the HTPC. I'd love to disable the password, but then I can't RDP into the computer....

haha i have the same problem. gotta have RDP. my password is a single space bar. :)youre sure there isnt any character you can make it that the remote can do like numbers maybe? ive never used an MCE. the lenovo can do all the pause/play/search/whatever when watching video, but not very well. only has minimal function keys, and theyre hard to get to so i usually just end up using the mouse anyway. i would say the MCE remote and lenovo device together would be a good pair. and unless youre writing long emails or something, i think the mouse and keyboard would be redundant.

Last edited:

You can have a password for RDP and have windows to automatically log on when rebooting. I have it that way and works ok.
It will only log on automatically on startup (boot or reboot). But it will still ask you for a password if you lock the computer or try to access the RDP server.
For windows Vista and 7, type in the search box "netplwiz" (if that doesn't work type "userpasswords2" instead.) and uncheck “Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer”. They will ask you for the user/password to Automatically log on.

Taking it one step further, I have two users (Admin_User and HTPC_User ) I usually access RDP to Admin_User to configure things without disturbing HTPC_User. For this I use a tweak in windows 7/Vista to have two active users at the same time (concurrent sessions)
This link gives you the instructions for W7 SP1
http://www.missingremote.com/guide/how-enable-concurrent-sessions-windows-7-service-pack-1-rtm

In summary the PC automatically boot into HTPC_user, and I can RDP to the Admin_User without disturbing people using the Home Theater. I can also RDP to the HTPC_user, but on the TV directly attached to the computer it will show the login screen.

Hopes it helps!

Back on Topic. My lenovo keyboard just arrived today!

I'd be all over this if it had OSX support. I've seen videos of people using it with OSX but they don't tell how.

I'd be all over this if it had OSX support. I've seen videos of people using it with OSX but they don't tell how.

thats because it should work right out of the box. its recognized as any other usb keyboard and usb mouse. you dont need special drivers or software or anything. what makes you think it wouldnt work?

thats because it should work right out of the box. its recognized as any other usb keyboard and usb mouse. you dont need special drivers or software or anything. what makes you think it wouldnt work?

He is a mac user, that pretty much explains it :p

Basically, you can text a hellva lot faster than you can type on a keyboard.

Are you serious? The keyboard on this thing is not fast. Maybe if you don't know how to type with all of your fingers and you're conditioned to do it with your thumbs. I can type ~80-100 words per minute and could probably do 20-30 on this thing if I'm lucky. I feel like it's not really ergonomic that it doesn't let my thumbs move about freely, because balancing it in my hand isn't automatic...if that makes any sense. I like the keyboard on my phone better than this.

The mouse is a little touchy. Maybe I'm not getting a good signal with the receiver, but sometimes it takes 5 seconds to wake up the connection and get the mouse moving. It's a little tricky to position it over small buttons, or seek a small distance in a video.

That said, it's perfect for couch and home theater use. It's small, pretty nice looking and the price is right for what it does. It's ok for home theater, google searching, maybe something like status updates, but if you wanted to type any more that, it would be good to have a full size keyboard available. It's kind of a luxury. If I had to choose between only a standard size wireless keyboard and this, I'd rather have the large one. There is no way I would have gone through the trouble typing something like this reply on the Lenovo remote. Having both is nice because I stash the large keyboard in a cabinet under the television most of the time, and this is nice enough that it doesn't clutter as much as a standard keyboard and mouse.

Back