HOT! Novint Falcon Bundle for $100 (Normally 200)

It's about damn time the price on these things went down. Maybe now people will actually pick them up and try them out with the source games that support them.

Got mine for Christmas, with the pistol grip. Awesome controller.

I'm curious, what's really the point of this controller?

Can't you just use a mouse.

:D

I'm curious, what's really the point of this controller?

Can't you just use a mouse.

:D

Unlike a mouse, the Falcon has a really complex and "realistic" feedback system. It even comes with demo applications that display floating spheres of different substances that you use the Falcon to interact with, and can feel the different viscosity of each substance. I think most of the games that use Valve's Source Engine now support it with feedback and extensive interactivity options like opening doors or melee attacks. It seems a unique experience worth checking out but it is less precise than a mouse when it comes to aiming.

The main problem is this controller is so unique in what it does, that if a game was suppose to use the controller to the maximum usage of the controller, the game would be quite weird with normal mouse.

i would love to test one first. i like playing trackmania so i borrowed one of my friends force feedback wheels and i spent hours trying to tweak it so i would like it but never did.

would hate to buy this and not like it. seems pretty cool. i think i would have to make a custom mount for it on my desk too.

Purchased one at Fry's when they were on sale for $100 and returned it shortly after. Major problem is the support in that the selection is limited and most require additional patches for it to function. Out of the list they had some AAA titles, but it fails to mention downloading these patches (novint specific) per game are required get the product to work period. Which may cause an issue if further updates are released for the game. Really wished they would implement something similar to the logitech applet that would would enable the function based on installed games, vs having to find and install patches manually.

Also most of the supported games were not using Punkbuster. I was unsure how compatible this would be with anti-cheat systems due to the novint patches altering game files (not just configs). As simply unplugging the device was not an option for going back to the keyboard and mouse as that patch was a necessity for it to function. Obviously not an issue that have the game released with support.

When it worked, tried it with BF2 and Crysis, it was interesting but the support was the most glaring problem as if Novint dissapears so does the functionality of the product. Similar to other interface devices over the years, like the orb with freespace if anyone remembers that;)

I was very interested in using for orange box (specifically portal), but at the time only certain portions were compatible and required signing up for beta programs within steam that would then limit multiplayer games to people running that version.

Obviously favoring the mouse/keyboard for online multiplayer, I never really considered this to replace that interface for multiplayer gaming and was looking for something to add to the single player experience. However, just the concern for support on future releases was a major problem for me after using it, finding out what was required, and will be required to keep it functional.

Don't get me wrong, it had the wow factor and the force feedback was quite good. Just don't expect it to work with every game.

Purchased one at Fry's when they were on sale for $100 and returned it shortly after. Major problem is the support in that the selection is limited and most require additional patches for it to function. Out of the list they had some AAA titles, but it fails to mention downloading these patches (novint specific) per game are required get the product to work period. Which may cause an issue if further updates are released for the game. Really wished they would implement something similar to the logitech applet that would would enable the function based on installed games, vs having to find and install patches manually.

Also most of the supported games were not using Punkbuster. I was unsure how compatible this would be with anti-cheat systems due to the novint patches altering game files (not just configs). As simply unplugging the device was not an option for going back to the keyboard and mouse as that patch was a necessity for it to function. Obviously not an issue that have the game released with support.

When it worked, tried it with BF2 and Crysis, it was interesting but the support was the most glaring problem as if Novint dissapears so does the functionality of the product. Similar to other interface devices over the years, like the orb with freespace if anyone remembers that;)

I was very interested in using for orange box (specifically portal), but at the time only certain portions were compatible and required signing up for beta programs within steam that would then limit multiplayer games to people running that version.

Obviously favoring the mouse/keyboard for online multiplayer, I never really considered this to replace that interface for multiplayer gaming and was looking for something to add to the single player experience. However, just the concern for support on future releases was a major problem for me after using it, finding out what was required, and will be required to keep it functional.

Don't get me wrong, it had the wow factor and the force feedback was quite good. Just don't expect it to work with every game.
Ah that's a shame. If it worked without extra patches I'd buy it in a minute.

Ah that's a shame. If it worked without extra patches I'd buy it in a minute.

half-life 2 does not require extra patches.

other games however are usually mod addons for that game.

They are making a new driver type thing that they hope will be a wrapper for all games but most likely this way won't be as great as normal mod and engine changes.

Back