HOT! OCZ ProXStream 1000W PSU - $80AR

Devil24

2[H]4U
ZipZoomFly has the OCZ ProXStream 1000W power supply for $140 - $60 rebate = $80 with free shipping.

No idea if it's any good... I've only seen a couple of reviews of it, but nothing utterly technical and detailed as those from the [H].

NewEgg has it in stock also, but at a higher price. Some of the previous buyers reviewing the unit mention that its fan is loud, so keep that in mind.

Very nice, I just bought this thing for $100 AR a few weeks ago and now I might buy another....

I never used it, I sold it for $170 :D

1000w is way overkill for me. If I needed a 1000w PSU I wouldn't let something like a little bit of fan noise stop me from buying this PSU (I use headphones). This is a killer deal on a quality 1000w PSU that actually can output 1000w, I'll probably buy one even tho I don't need it ;)

That is an amazing deal. Loud fan? I thought all of you were [H] enough to swap the fan out with something else?.....I hope I used [H] correctly (my first time :D)

Loud fan? I thought all of you were [H] enough to swap the fan out with something else?....

Some people like to maintain the warranty on their PSUs. Every PSU I've seen has an anti-tampering sticker.

Hm. The [H] review indicates it has zero 8 pin PCI-e connectors. ZZF says it has one 8 pin. I think if I were really going to buy a 1kw unit I'd want two 8 pin connectors.

DON"T ORDER FORM ZIPZOOMFLY they are a teriible retailer!!! I bought this PSU when it was $100.00 and they sent me the PSU without any packaging just the PSU in the box (no packaging, no peanuts nothing at all) then it didn't work because of course it was kicked around and the rails were all screwed up then they charged me a %15 restocking fee for a bad PSU plus I had to ship it back so I lost at least $30.00 stay away from these idiots...

ZZF's resellerrating has been dropping lately. Not a good sign.

However I just ordered two 4870s from them without issue.

Roughly 2 weeks ago, I received this unit from Newegg.

Also left a review that OCZ responded to.

It's efficient, or so it seems, very efficient. It has NO 8 pin PCIe connectors, but (4) 6 pins, which is what I needed.

My review on Newegg is the one that compares it to a 5k btu air conditioner. No, I'm not exaggerating.

If we were to say that 60db is a normal conversation, this is near being that loud.

When I posted on OCZ's website regarding the noise, frankly it seemed that the mods dismiss any feedback that's not puckering up. Mod said he uses the same unit, yet his sig clearly states a different unit, so I don't think he knew what I was referring to by LOUD.

So with this unit powering my box, I have to encourage 1k seekers to either remove your eardrums and buy it, or look elsewhere.

I've got the 850 quatro with an 80mm fan and it's not bad at all. So what do I expect from a quality PSU with an 80mm fan? I expect something loud enough to remind me to turn it off before I go to bed, not turn it off before 8:00pm due to community noise ordinances...

Anyone heard of any mods replacing the fan on this?
That would make me nervous. Firstly you'd void your warranty, but second a quieter 80mm fan would likely push less air, and hence allow the components inside to heat up more.

I suppose we can say this PSU is really for a server like environment (which is why, even though it's probably massively overkill, I'm considering it for my file server)

I think I may try to use a 80mm to 120mm adapter and use a high cfm 120mm fan.

Found a Scythe fan that has 110 cfm.

Also, I think I may put an 80mm fan on the other side of the unit to help force air over the double decker pcb.

The two fans combined will still output less noise than the current fan that's probably near the mid 50s in db.

The company that makes the fan on the unit is Protechnic Electronics. Good luck finding any details on the fans (or the company). Nearest data I could find suggests that that the fan pushes 60+ cfm with 50+db of noise.

With a little [H]-ingenuity this unit may be worth something yet!

Back