hot room, bad case... need suggestion

kidicarus74

Limp Gawd
so, i moved into a new place and my office is right above the garage which means it's crazy hot during the summer. on top of that, my case now is cramped and doesn't have great cooling... here's what i have got:

antec performance 2 case ( 1 fan in front, 1 in side blow hole, 2 in back, all 80mm)
athlon 64 3500+ newcastle
5 hard drive (2 36gb raptors in raid, 2 250gb maxtors for storage, 1 80 gig WD for backups)
2 optical drives
6800 gt
Ultra X-Connect psu

so... the case is cramped, and the temps outrageous (saw my cpu pushin 70c the other day)...

I NEED help

i've looked at a few lian-li's (pc-75, 6077, 1200cb), the stacker, and the Silverstone TJ-06... but reading other peoples threads and reading reviews only go so far... so please, any advice appreciated

External HDs would help with the cramping......btw why do you have so many HDs?

domoMKIV said:
stacker and a window ac unit.
Lmao that was my solution, except I used a portable floor unit, not a window one(it does the same tihng but costs $450 from Maytag).

nobi125 said:
External HDs would help with the cramping......btw why do you have so many HDs?

the real question you should be asking is how the hell did i manage to fill them all? :D

but i digress, the raptors are obviously my systm drive... maybe 2/3 full with windows and games and every adobe product imaginable. then i've got the two 250 gig hard drives. One of them is mass storage. I keep all of my installation files (like all those downloaded apps, drives, game patches, windows mass update like sp2, etc.), it's a holding tank for all of my torrent downloads, plus it holds a backup copy of the 80gigs worth of stuff i have on my xbox. then tho other 250 i have is a media drive, that has all my pics, videos, music, and dvd rips (exercising my right to legal backups of my 200+ dvd which i'm not nearly finished copying over). Then, I've got the final 80 gig drive which has a retrospect differential backup of my system drive in cas of raid failure, plus a backup of all my music and pictures in cas of serious catastrophe.

so yeah... i was thinkin of going with a stacker and drive cages... but now it looks like my psu is kind of flaking out, so we'll have to see what i have to do with it

Yeah, those x-connect psu's are just glorified powmax psu's, aren't they? While they look cool as hell, I wouldn't trust one of them to run all that stuff. You'd do better to get yourself one of those 550w superflower psu's that Directron has on sale from time to time....plus they have like 4 fans on that psu, which should improve your airflow too. :)

Other than that, you don't mention whether you have any stamped fan grills on that case (like so many do nowadays), whether you modded them out of the way, or what sort of fans you're running. I love Vantec Stealth fans, but let's face it......you trade out noise for lower air flow, and have to plan accordingly. Higher flow fans with a fan speed controller (so you can crank it down in speed and noise when it's cooler) might do the trick for you.

So it might be time for a new case, but I'd investigate every possibility for improving the airflow thru your existing case first. Good luck! :)

all grills have gone the way of the dremel... all fans are vantec uv 80mm... frankly even if airflow wasn't a problem, the case is still heavy and not the most attractive thing in the world...

Back