Hot? Samsung 24" LCD 1080P - $199.99

Rockstar

Limp Gawd
Last edited:
looks like a good deal to me, the monitor is 300+ on any site i've looked at. hmmmmm tempting i may have to take the plunge.

Any one know costcos dead pixel policy? Or if the deal is in stores too?

looks like a good deal to me, the monitor is 300+ on any site i've looked at. hmmmmm tempting i may have to take the plunge.

Any one know costcos dead pixel policy? Or if the deal is in stores too?

Costco's policy is one of the best. Return for ANY reason before 90 days and they refund you every cent at the store, including shipping. 1 dead pixel and you're fine to return it, can't beat that.

hot?
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11483491&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US#

Im thinking of buying this to set up my pc and xbox 360 with the HDMI port, what do you guys think. Will i notice the 5ms Response time on fast paced games? Will there be any flicker or screen tearing? i dont know much about monitors but this looks pretty decent to me. :)

Edit:
MODEL # 2494HM
Tearing has to do with the video card giving more fps than the refresh rate is capable of (60hz), not the response time. And whether you notice anything or not, there is nothing significantly better in terms of response time, as 2ms GTG (grey to grey) is generally clever marketing for 5ms black to white.

Last edited:
Tearing has to do with the video card giving more fps than the refresh rate is capable of (60hz), not the response time. And whether you notice anything or not, there is nothing significantly better in terms of response time, as 2ms GTG (grey to grey) is generally clever marketing for 5ms black to white.

well on other sites selling this samsung, it says its a 5MS gtg? so if this is a 5ms gray to gray would it be noticable?

Then why is it that I still see tearing in Crysis? It has to do with changing frames while the monitor is refreshing the image. Tearing has nothing to do with your refresh rate.

well on other sites selling this samsung, it says its a 5MS gtg? so if this is a 5ms gray to gray would it be noticable?

No

This is a good deal don't get me wrong. I jumped on a 25" 1920x1080 monitor and regret not spending the extra money on a nice 16:10. The extra hight is nice for general useage, and that fisheye effect is much more noticeable on a 16:9. Also keep in mind 24" is big for a 1920x1080 monitor so aliasing is also much more noticeable. If it's just for your 360 I would definitely jump on this deal, though.

Last edited:
Also keep in mind 24" is big for a 1920x1080 monitor so aliasing is also much more noticeable.

Depends on the person but 24" is about right for a 1920x1080 monitor. I have an Asus that is 23.6" and when sitting straight it is fine. When I am fully reclined though, it is too small (for reading text without strain. Most text is OK but the small fonts become difficult at that distance). That is about about 3.5~4' away. Sitting straight I am about 2.5' back.

and if you think that you are getting a fisheye effect on any LCD monitor, that monitor is messed up or you don't know what a fisheye effect is

Then why is it that I still see tearing in Crysis? It has to do with changing frames while the monitor is refreshing the image. Tearing has nothing to do with your refresh rate.

No

This is a good deal don't get me wrong. I jumped on a 25" 1920x1080 monitor and regret not spending the extra money on a nice 16:10. The extra hight is nice for general useage, and that fisheye effect is much more noticeable on a 16:9. Also keep in mind 24" is big for a 1920x1080 monitor so aliasing is also much more noticeable. If it's just for your 360 I would definitely jump on this deal, though.

well i want to use this for my pc and my xbox, i dont do much gaming on the pc anymore, but i used to play this fps called warrock on an old 5ms acer and it was a really fast paced game, i noticed the delay compared to my old 17 inch dell crt.

but im hoping i wont notice on the 360 because moving around in call of duty isnt that fast.

Depends on the person but 24" is about right for a 1920x1080 monitor. I have an Asus that is 23.6" and when sitting straight it is fine. When I am fully reclined though, it is too small (for reading text without strain. Most text is OK but the small fonts become difficult at that distance). That is about about 3.5~4' away. Sitting straight I am about 2.5' back.

and if you think that you are getting a fisheye effect on any LCD monitor, that monitor is messed up or you don't know what a fisheye effect is

I'm talking about the large pixel size when compared to a 24" 1920x1200. It makes aliasing much more noticeable.

I am sure that you have notied some games where the outside of the screen stretches. I found it very noticeable in the Witcher, Quake 4, and a few others. I never saw that on my 16:10.

Nice find. Been looking for a monitor with these specs for the right price.

I'm talking about the large pixel size when compared to a 24" 1920x1200. It makes aliasing much more noticeable.

I am sure that you have notied some games where the outside of the screen stretches. I found it very noticeable in the Witcher, Quake 4, and a few others. I never saw that on my 16:10.

well, the pixel density will be lower with 1080. 8900 pixels per square inch vs 8428 (using an actual 24"). I doubt that it is "much" more noticeable but that is subjective.

As for the distortion, that would be a software problem. Current games are designed for regular and widescreen. That will always be a problem on certain older games. Widescreengaming forum has examples if you want to know how older games will look like.

hot?
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11483491&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US#

Im thinking of buying this to set up my pc and xbox 360 with the HDMI port, what do you guys think. Will i notice the 5ms Response time on fast paced games? Will there be any flicker or screen tearing? i dont know much about monitors but this looks pretty decent to me. :)

Edit:
MODEL # 2494HM

how is this a hot deal when you can buy the SOYO 24" for $70 less??????????:confused:

how is this a hot deal when you can buy the SOYO 24" for $70 less??????????

Cause that Soyo is a refurb, has a history of having stuck pixel issues, and the company is out of business.

You're not even talking the same game, more or less the same ballpark my friend.

lawl at soyo being compared to a samsung ;)

The first run of Soyo's were better than that Samsung... they were MVA panels..

As long as you didn't have problems with them, mine had no issues with gaming or any stuck/dead pixels... but some weren't as lucky I guess..

I got one of these last night in store. They have the same deal but it is with coupon so ask at the door if you need the latest coupon pack (I had to as we originally set our membership up to opt out of mailings). No dead/stuck pixels on the one I picked up and it looks amazing.

I had purchased an Acer X223WBD from Costco Online for $149 last week that is going back today now that I have this one. The Acer was nice but had a cluster of 5-6 dead pixels right in the middle of the bottom of the screen and the stand was flimsy as hell.

Costco's policy is one of the best. Return for ANY reason before 90 days and they refund you every cent at the store, including shipping. 1 dead pixel and you're fine to return it, can't beat that.

Returns are limited to 90 days only on certain items. Monitors are not one of those items. You can return the monitor at ANY TIME FOR ANY REASON to Costco for a full refund. Don't abuse this too much or they'll throw Monitors on the 90 day returns policy.

See here for the return policy: http://www.costco.com/Service/FeaturePageLeftNav.aspx?ProductNo=11204333
Note that it says "computers" and not "monitors" or "computer accessories".

Last edited:

Funny I have 2 23" 1920x1200's and a single 37" 1920x1080 Westinghouse. I MUCH prefer the westinghouse to my 23's for gaming, browing the net, and well just about everything. I hate the tiny text on the 23's it leaves me with alot more eyestrain than the westy. (Yea for larger pixles :p ), but due to the better color of S-IPS 23" screens I prefer them for photo editing when adjusting colors....(Then again the westy blows up the images more so it has it's advantaes there as well.)...

I just got a new laptop at work, I think it is a 17" that runs 1920x1200, and holy hell theres a point where the higher resolution sucks, I have to put my face right up to it at times to read small text...Yea sure theres tweeks to increase text size, but those only get you so far!

It's pretty much the back light brightness gets brighter or dims and changes the contrast on the fly. I never cared for it as it annoyed me.

Back