HOT! Sennheiser HD555 Pro Headphones - $88 / Amazon

Reviews seem to be pretty good but I'm not an expert, how do these fair? I'm looking for something for use with a PMP and the open design sounds like a mixed blessing. I don't want to get hit by a car, but I don't want to annoy people on the muni

i use to have em there pretty amazing plus you can mod them

I had a pair which I later sold for an AudioTechnica AD700. IMO the AD700 is better for around the same price.

This is warm you can generally get these for just under $100 good cans though.

I have these and a pair of their discontinued 580s. I actually prefer the 580s, but these aren't bad at all. Wish I remembered how much I paid for my 555's to compare. : /

These are great, wonderful for gaming too as their design works great with simulated surround sound.

I have these and a pair of their discontinued 580s. I actually prefer the 580s, but these aren't bad at all. Wish I remembered how much I paid for my 555's to compare. : /

The HD555 is not comparable to HD580. HD580 is a tier above the HD555 (though a previous gen, but then headphones don't change much).

I have a pair, still use them, but the plastic support is flimsy and has cracked on both sides. probably due to my having a big head, but still...

Had both the Senns 555's and the AT 700's. I paid about the same for both $99 for the Senns and $110 for the ATs, kept the Senns and returned the ATs and got a second pair of the Senns for my son.

I returned the AT 700's only because they didn't fit my dome. They kept sliding off even after modding them a little. If you have a big head get the 700's.

These are open. I own them and love them. Great sound for the price!

Thought so. I prefer the closed. Isolation and to me, it sounds better. Open ones have this echo that's really annoying in games.

My dad has a pair of these as a birthday gift from a couple years back.

They are freaking amazing to me, but to be fair I have nothing else to compare them to except my no longer made HD485's.

didnt they recently release a new line of recreated models upgraded from their most popular models?

I had a pair which I later sold for an AudioTechnica AD700. IMO the AD700 is better for around the same price.

The majority of people resell the HD555's before they fully burn in. It takes longer for the 555. Around 100-200 hours or more. It's a night and day difference after burn in. However, still not enough to beat out a properly amped HD650. ;) Curse the 555's for being the gateway drug of headphones.

after doing a bit of googling, i thought i'd just be lazy and ask here myself :D

are the 558's even for sale yet? how do they compare to the 555's that they are supposed to replace?

reason i'm asking is because i'm in the market for a new set of cans (or headset, will be needing to use a decent mic again soon), to go alongside (or replace) my MDR-V700's.

and i was either considering the 555's (or 558's if circumstances are right), the corsair hs1's, or possibly the siberia v2's.

this is all after considering that i have to get a new sound card too because of the damned driver issues that windows 7 64 bit gives to my audigy 2 zs with the mic.

after doing a bit of googling, i thought i'd just be lazy and ask here myself :D

are the 558's even for sale yet? how do they compare to the 555's that they are supposed to replace?

reason i'm asking is because i'm in the market for a new set of cans (or headset, will be needing to use a decent mic again soon), to go alongside (or replace) my MDR-V700's.

and i was either considering the 555's (or 558's if circumstances are right), the corsair hs1's, or possibly the siberia v2's.

this is all after considering that i have to get a new sound card too because of the damned driver issues that windows 7 64 bit gives to my audigy 2 zs with the mic.
Yes. They're been for sale for a bit now. In fact, there was a used pair for sale on Head-fi. You can read up on the reviews over there.

My only gripe with the HD650's is that it's really picky with the amp you pair it with. If you get it just right, the synergy blows you away. Otherwise, it just blows.

I used to have a pair of HD555 and they are amazing for the price. The only thing I prefered over these were Alessandro MS1's (Modded Grado SR-80's).

Thought so. I prefer the closed. Isolation and to me, it sounds better. Open ones have this echo that's really annoying in games.

Really? I find the exact opposite as open headphones allow the sound to exit. If you like the isolation, don't get these though. I can hear everything that is going on around me perfectly and everyone else can hear what I am listening too as well. Check out head-fi though as they know WAY more about headphones than me. :)

Open have more accurate sound but if you live in a noisy environment it is better to have closed back. Trains, planes, kids, Lan parties whatever can ruin the sound and distract you.

Really? I find the exact opposite as open headphones allow the sound to exit. If you like the isolation, don't get these though. I can hear everything that is going on around me perfectly and everyone else can hear what I am listening too as well. Check out head-fi though as they know WAY more about headphones than me. :)

Both have their benefits. But maybe what I thought I heard which was an open headphone, wasn't. it was some plantronics gamecon set or something. All I remember is everything echoed and sounded terrible to me.

So when I got the JVC RX700's the sound was similar to the Sony's I had, which I liked, they covered my hears and provided good isolation. Sometimes it's nice to hear others but as you said it goes both ways. I don't really want my sound bleeding out.

I've been all over head-fi don't worry, lol. Some of those guys are nuts, but there's a lot of good info there.

Both have their benefits. But maybe what I thought I heard which was an open headphone, wasn't. it was some plantronics gamecon set or something. All I remember is everything echoed and sounded terrible to me.

So when I got the JVC RX700's the sound was similar to the Sony's I had, which I liked, they covered my hears and provided good isolation. Sometimes it's nice to hear others but as you said it goes both ways. I don't really want my sound bleeding out.

I've been all over head-fi don't worry, lol. Some of those guys are nuts, but there's a lot of good info there.

Hahaha. Some are WAYY too into headphones but hey, to each their own. :) I own the HD555s and a pair of Sony MDR-V6 to use at work or when I want quiet (Closed headphones). They are very inexpensive and have good sound, not as good as the ATHs but good enough for me for the train ride and work $60 or so was the limit. I would definitely try a good pair of open headphones before you make your decision though because plantronics aren't even in the same league as Sennheiser.

I have a large head, but my HD-555s are working fine, since Jan 2006. Great headphones.

I don't own the 555's, but I love my 595's. They really do get better with time as the burn in starts to set. I still have a pair of Sony MDR-V6's around, but the comfort level and overall sound quality of the 595's is nothing short of amazing. I would imagine the 555's can't be much different. Probably a great set.

Got mine yesterday morning. Fastest shipping ever with Prime.

They're definitely cheaper looking and feeling than my Denon D2000s, but that was expected. Haven't been able to give them a good listen yet.

The majority of people resell the HD555's before they fully burn in. It takes longer for the 555. Around 100-200 hours or more. It's a night and day difference after burn in. However, still not enough to beat out a properly amped HD650. ;) Curse the 555's for being the gateway drug of headphones.

Lol if 2 years is too short, I don't know what you would be expecting.

I got a pair last year and it was very good but eventually sold it in preference of a closed headphone (Ultrasone Pro 650).

Back