Hot swap for 3.5" in a 5.25" bay

#1Filipino

Weaksauce
I am looking for a Hot swap that fits in a single 5.25" bay that can hold a single 3.5" Hard drive. Also it should be able to handle the speed of the new WD 640gb 16mb Cache Sata drive.

I found this one, but I don't know if it can use the full speed of that HD. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817122108

If it can, is the fan replaceable with this one:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5...ic_Bearings_IXP-11-14.html?tl=g36c15s70#blank

I found this one: I would like to get this one, but can i still connect it to the motherboard without a 64 din connecter?
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=212&products_id=20766

http://www.startech.com/item/DRW115...with-Shock-Absorbers-Professional-Series.aspx

I bought that one when i was looking for a removable drive bay. I have a problem with it though, when you pull the drive out, theres no support in the front to keep the sides from bending in if they have pressure on them. My cases uses snap in rails, so i can't really pull the drive out like i wanted to.

The 64pin din your link mentions is most likely the way the drive carrier connects to the bay, not what you use to plugin from the motherboard to the bay. The model i have is the way way. Some use the connectors on the drives themselves - which you don't want. The produce extra wear and pressure on the drive connectors which arent that rugged.

I dont think you will be able to replace the fan, they're usually custom tiny noisy fans. On my drive bay, if i turn the lock to unlocked it kills power to the drive and the fan.

Those would all work for you, but I would suggest this:
Kingwin KF-1000
It's a similar idea - removable bay for a hard drive, but it doesn't use a tray system - you just open the door and slide the bare drive in. Much more convenient, and more importantly, because there's no caddy, it doesn't take up as much depth, which can be important in a smaller case - I've run into problems with the larger drives (some are deeper than DVD drives) interfering with mobos, etc.

There's also a 3in2 and 4in3 version if you look around for KF-3000 and KF-4000 (not sure if newegg has them or not).

Also, all SATA drive bays should have no impact on performance. Unlike IDE ones, there's no extra circuitry required, they just use a direct connection, so speeds should be unaffected.

Basically anything would work for you, those drives aren't that bad in terms of heat and performance vibrations. Get something with good reviews and you should be a happy camper.

Kingwin KF-1000
It's a similar idea - removable bay for a hard drive, but it doesn't use a tray system - you just open the door and slide the bare drive in. Much more convenient, and more importantly, because there's no caddy, it doesn't take up as much depth, which can be important in a smaller case - I've run into problems with the larger drives (some are deeper than DVD drives) interfering with mobos, etc.

I 2nd this one. I have one of these and it worked great. The only downside is that it is fanless, if one considers that a problem. It is an open frame, which helps in circulating air thru the drive. I replaced it with 4in3, as I needed more hot-swap bays. The new one also has active cooling, which I felt was necessary due to the higher drive density.

I 2nd this one. I have one of these and it worked great. The only downside is that it is fanless, if one considers that a problem. It is an open frame, which helps in circulating air thru the drive. I replaced it with 4in3, as I needed more hot-swap bays. The new one also has active cooling, which I felt was necessary due to the higher drive density.

+1 for this too! I have this in my Server and it runs like a champ! only downside (if you can call it that) is that the rails are a little flimsy when installing it, other then that its a great device.

Kingwin KF-1000
It's a similar idea - removable bay for a hard drive, but it doesn't use a tray system - you just open the door and slide the bare drive in.

If you're going to be pulling the drive in and out a lot - I'd reccomend one of the tray/caddy systems instead, so you aren't putting wear directly onto the drive's sata interface.

Back