How an ISP allocates bandwidth

d3fc0n5

Limp Gawd
Seems like a simple question
Why do you see huge download pipes compared to upload
Are they trying to deture you from hosting servers?
or are they saving the upload for the business connections?

I've always wondered.

A large part of it is the available bandwidth in the equipment that the ISP purchases. With DSL a large portion of the equipment you would purchase is made to offer large downloads and smaller uploads. Some of the DSL equipment I have been testing in my lab will do 24Mbps down and 4Mbps up. My company is a Fiber-to-the-Prem provider, we offer syncronous data speeds to all our customers. 1 meg up and 1 meg down, 3 meg up 3 meg down...on and on and on. In many cases companies will offer higher download over upload because that's what customers want/need for the most part. 75%+ of most users download but hardly ever upload except to make http calls to download more things.

That about hits the nail on the head there. We simply offer what our customers want (download). We purchase our bandwidth which comes equal up/down speed from the providers. Incidentally, our input to our core is disproportionate from our output away.

We do offer web-hosting services because its just another revenue maker to use stuff thats going to waste as it is.

Now there is a technical limitation, the equipment at the customer location is limited with the power it can transmit. Aside from the market forces, there are some technical limitations which cause those asynchronous speeds you get.

There really isnt much demand for high upload speeds for home users, but only to a certian point. Comcast now has that speed-boost junk here, which actually isnt as bad as I thought it would have been :

http://www.wolfgame.org/abouttime.jpg

What would normally take me a half hour or so, didnt even take 10 minutes. 12-15Mbps solid for the entire time. Now, this is fine... but it makes for a 50:1 download/upload ratio.

Any time I want to upload things to my website (several gigabytes worth), It takes quite some time, over 300-320Kbps. But you may say, not everyone is uploading a bunch of crap? Fine. Im sure there are many people though, who do own digital cameras. It takes quite a long time to do things like email pictures/homework. I dont expect 15/15Mbps for ~40 a month, but If comcast is willing to give me up to 5x more download bandwidth at no extra cost, I would assume they could give 1.5-2x more upload temporarily/when needed.

DSL providers seem to be better, but the most ive seen is 1.5Mbps for nearly the price of a T1 line. The worst ive seen for cable internet, is 25/1Mbps... Which isnt bad, but the service was very expensive.

Back