How are the G.Skill 4GB kits overclocking?

winston856

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm thinking of building an intel system and my RAM of choice was this stuff
or maybe this kit
How does that look? DDR2-800, that's what I require. Is there any other 2x2GB kits that I should be considering or does this one look good?

How much over stock rating do 4GB kits overclock? I know that 2GB DDR2-800 kits will overclock to DDR2-900 Speeds or so.

So I've done some reading around and it seems like the 4GB kits don't overclock that well.

Plus DDR-3 is going to be coming out in a year give or take so it would be foolish to get the 4GB kit for futureproofing.

I've read that 4 1GB stick would be better for overclocking and run almost the same price as the 4GB kit, plus you get better timings as well.

Can anybody concur with this?

yeah, you're basically right. the 2x2gb kits are still somewhat immature. if you're looking for oc'ing headroom, give it a month or two for the micron based kits to appear :D

but ask yourself this: when ddr3 comes out, will you immediately upgrade? ;)

yeah, you're basically right. the 2x2gb kits are still somewhat immature. if you're looking for oc'ing headroom, give it a month or two for the micron based kits to appear :D

but ask yourself this: when ddr3 comes out, will you immediately upgrade? ;)

I probably won't immediately upgrade no :p

I like to see what's what first...

Plus DDR-3 is going to be coming out in a year give or take so it would be foolish to get the 4GB kit for futureproofing.

There really isn't a thing such as futureproofing with computers. 1 year is an incredible amount of time in the computing world.

Also, just FYI, DDR3 boards will be backwards compatible with DDR2 and there are very little difrences between the two.

I'm just looking at 2x2GB vs. 4x1GB.

If I had the 2GB sticks I get pretty relaxed timings and not great overclock ability. It appears, if I purchased 4x1GB sticks then I would get tighter timings as well as the ability to overclock further.

At the moment 4x1GB sticks seems like the way to go, but we'll see if that scenario remains the same by the time I actually buy this rig.

Edit - Thanks for that info Ockie, nice to know my DDR-2 RAM won't be obsolete so quickly. I also agree with your blurb on futureproofing, I don't know why I even said it :p

Also, just FYI, DDR3 boards will be backwards compatible with DDR2 and there are very little difrences between the two.

incorrect. the number of pins is the same, but the key is in a different location, and they are not pin compatible afaik, even if you could physically put a ddr2 stick in a ddr3 slot :p

I'm just looking at 2x2GB vs. 4x1GB.

If I had the 2GB sticks I get pretty relaxed timings and not great overclock ability. It appears, if I purchased 4x1GB sticks then I would get tighter timings as well as the ability to overclock further.

At the moment 4x1GB sticks seems like the way to go, but we'll see if that scenario remains the same by the time I actually buy this rig.

Edit - Thanks for that info Ockie, nice to know my DDR-2 RAM won't be obsolete so quickly. I also agree with your blurb on futureproofing, I don't know why I even said it :p

Don't you have to run 4 x 1GB at 2T, instead of 1T?

incorrect. the number of pins is the same, but the key is in a different location, and they are not pin compatible afaik, even if you could physically put a ddr2 stick in a ddr3 slot :p

Dang it eclipse, you just had to come along and ruin my dream didn't you :( :p

Don't you have to run 4 x 1GB at 2T, instead of 1T?

I remember hearing that about A64 systems but I'm not sure on Intel systems.

So you really think that RAM's good eclipse? I would think that it would be more expensive than those $150 G.Skill kit I was looking at here How do those compare to the crucial's you recommended.

I know you're the RAM guru around here so I don't want to sound like a jack-hole questioning you, but that crucial is cheap and better? Am I just that lucky? lol

Edit - Sorry I didn't realize that you might have no idea what I was talking about when I asked you to compare the link I just gave you. I was referring to this thread when you told the OP to get that Crucial kit.

680i chipsets have a big problem with populating all 4 sockets with memory. I have 4x1 gig DDR2 Corsair rated at 800 and I have to run them at 667. Lots of 680i owners will tell you to stay away from populating all 4 if you are going to use this chipset.

Dang it, this isn't working out. Now I have to pick another motherboard?

Balls....

Do you have a link confirming or denying this claim?

680i chipsets have a big problem with populating all 4 sockets with memory. I have 4x1 gig DDR2 Corsair rated at 800 and I have to run them at 667. Lots of 680i owners will tell you to stay away from populating all 4 if you are going to use this chipset.

This was what i was afraid of. So, if you want to run 4GB on a 680i board, they have to be run at DDR2-667 speeds, right? What about if i got faster RAM, like PC2-8000 (or whatever it is), would i still have to drop it down to DDR2-667 speeds if i have 4 x 1GB sticks?

Do you have a link confirming or denying this claim?

i would like to know the same thing cause i haven't heard this either.

also, how did this thread go from 2x2gb to 2x1gb? the crucial i linked in another thread MAY be awesome, since it's crucial, there is a chance of it being D9GMH or something like that. i bought a set yesterday, i'll let you know how it does when it gets in.

Eclipse the reviews on newegg for the evga 680i a1 mobo have a few people complaining about 4GB, especially with SLi, you cant have all four ram slots filled up.. which sucks if you ask me.

Eclipse the reviews on newegg for the evga 680i a1 mobo have a few people complaining about 4GB, especially with SLi, you cant have all four ram slots filled up.. which sucks if you ask me.

What's preventing the use of all 4 RAM slots, though?

Well I don't have SLi, all I'm concerned about is performance. If I have to drop the RAM speed down to 667 because all the slots are full, then I'll have to look else ware for a board.

I'm hoping that this isn't true, I don't want the motherboard being the limiting factor here.

The thread went from 2x2GB to 2x1GB because I heard that the 2x2GB kits don't overclock worth beans. So if this is true then I'm going to need to buy 4x1GB sticks and if the 680i mobos can't handle all the slots full resulting in a performance hit, then I'll need to get another board.

Question: If your getting a 4(2x2GB) set at DDR 800, and a 6600.. can't you safely overclock to about 3.5 , 3.6 before its overclocking the memory the set divider? (Still learning, be gentle.. :) )

Question: If your getting a 4(2x2GB) set at DDR 800, and a 6600.. can't you safely overclock to about 3.5 , 3.6 before its overclocking the memory the set divider? (Still learning, be gentle.. :) )

Well yeah, basically..................

Wait a minute.....What am I thinking? I should just get the 2x2GB kit because if I even hit 3.6GHz on the E4300, the ram would be at 400(800)MHz... It wouldn't matter if the RAM could overclock or not because I'm not going to be running it over stock speeds...

DUH LoL, Thanks Hyper :D

No Problem.. I had asked a similar question earlier with regards to these kits, and I was told this by BillParish.

Have to give him a thanks for this as well. :) Hence, I'll be making a purchase of these (More than likely the SuperTalent or Patriot). I've heard / read really good things about these kits.

Let me know how things turn out. Your results may influence what I do. :)

Christopher

Well I'm currently looking at the 2x2GB kits on the 'egg. There's one patriot kit and a G.Skill kit that both are CL5 and $350 at the moment but it seems like the price drops some every week.

There is also a supertalent kit or two on there but I don't know anything about them so I just skipped over them.

I was looking originally at that G.Skill kit for $320 but it's CL6, I wanted to try for CL5 but I don't know if that's worth the extra money?

Most of the CL5 kits are 5-5-5-12 or 5-5-5-15. The CL6 G.Skill kit is 6-6-6-16. These are all PC2-6400 btw.

Go for the tighter timings. Eclipse would be a far better person with regards to the significance of that, but if you go with the tighter of the set, you can always loosen them up to support your OC.

It's a bit more difficult to make a set with loose timings tighter. Super Talent has a pretty good rep, as does Patriot. Again, I'm gonna continue to look around to see if there are any reviews over the next few days. I have my fingers crossed.

Well I'm currently looking at the 2x2GB kits on the 'egg. There's one patriot kit and a G.Skill kit that both are CL5 and $350 at the moment but it seems like the price drops some every week.

There is also a supertalent kit or two on there but I don't know anything about them so I just skipped over them.

I was looking originally at that G.Skill kit for $320 but it's CL6, I wanted to try for CL5 but I don't know if that's worth the extra money?

Most of the CL5 kits are 5-5-5-12 or 5-5-5-15. The CL6 G.Skill kit is 6-6-6-16. These are all PC2-6400 btw.

You guys are lucky! A pair of 2GB sticks cost about £350 in the UK, that's just short of $700!

I think i'm going to get these. At some point i'm going to want 4GB of RAM and it seems that buying 2 x 1GB now, then another set later will prevent me from running them at their rated speeds on a 680i board. Urgh... it's just a lot of money to put down on this memory, i really wanted to get 2GB now then 2GB later; if only 4 x 1GB didn't drop down to DDR2-667 speeds.

Go for the tighter timings. Eclipse would be a far better person with regards to the significance of that, but if you go with the tighter of the set, you can always loosen them up to support your OC.

It's a bit more difficult to make a set with loose timings tighter. Super Talent has a pretty good rep, as does Patriot. Again, I'm gonna continue to look around to see if there are any reviews over the next few days. I have my fingers crossed.

Could you please post any good reviews you find here? or PM them to me :) Thanks.

You guys are lucky! A pair of 2GB sticks cost about £350 in the UK, that's just short of $700!

I think i'm going to get these. At some point i'm going to want 4GB of RAM and it seems that buying 2 x 1GB now, then another set later will prevent me from running them at their rated speeds on a 680i board. Urgh... it's just a lot of money to put down on this memory, i really wanted to get 2GB now then 2GB later; if only 4 x 1GB didn't drop down to DDR2-667 speeds.

Wow, I didn't know Kingston made a 4GB kit. I wish they had that at newegg, I'd consider buying it! All the kingston RAM I've had has always overclocked well.

It's sort of the dilemma I'm in at the moment too. Because I'm getting the 680i LT board I need to get the 4GB kit in order for it to run at the rated speed. It's not as big of a problem over here though but buy, some of those prices are sure high :/

Incorrect.

P35, G35, and G33 Bearlake chipsets supports both DDR2 and DDR3.

Quotes from dailytech:
DDR3 sticks maintain the 240-pin DIMM interface of DDR2, allowing DDR3 compatible chipsets to host DDR2 modules (though not both types at once).

The most recent AMD roadmap is also very clear to state AM3 "supports either DDR2 SDRAM or DDR3 SDRAM, but not on the same motherboard."

This is great news for upgraders, as there is a very clear upgrade path: CPU, motherboard, and then memory. This also infers that AM3 CPUs will have both DDR2 and DDR3 support on the integrated memory controller.

Incorrect.

Quotes from dailytech:

i suggest rereading what i said. ;)

for the timings, 5-5-5 and 6-6-6 won't provide too much of a difference, but i suspect the former will be a better overclocker, for obvious reasons :D

Sigh.. U Europeans get all the first hand stuff.. ;) As of this moment, there are 12 4GB (2x2GB) kits on the 'egg. 6 of them are DDR-800, with almost everybody envolved except..... Corsair. Come on guys.. I'm dyin' over here :p

Sigh.. U Europeans get all the first hand stuff.. ;) As of this moment, there are 12 4GB (2x2GB) kits on the 'egg. 6 of them are DDR-800, with almost everybody envolved except..... Corsair. Come on guys.. I'm dyin' over here :p

You have more choice than us, trust me! It's really rare to find 4GB sets over here, in the UK; i guess i was just lucky to find that Kingston set with tight timings- but it comes at a price (the equivilent of around $700 :()

i suggest rereading what i said. ;)

for the timings, 5-5-5 and 6-6-6 won't provide too much of a difference, but i suspect the former will be a better overclocker, for obvious reasons :D

I did and I proved you wrong...

I did and I proved you wrong...

no, winston thought ddr2 and ddr3 were interchangable. i said no. all you did was prove that upcoming products will have both ddr2 and ddr3 memory controllers in them, not that they are compatible with each other. ;)

G.Skill uses Micron HQ die for these and they are just horrible for overclocking. Nanya also has some 128Mx8 chips, and they too are horrible overclockers.

Any idea what the Buffallo and the Patriot sticks are using? I can't seem to find anything to tell me what specific chips those use.

G.Skill uses Micron HQ die for these and they are just horrible for overclocking.
are they really micron? from what i've seen of those micron... they're not bad at all. nothing like B6, but it should do >500mhz with some tweaking
and the micron is EXPENSIVE :eek:

I'd also like to see some links to the 680i and 4 slots problem.

Incorrect.

Quotes from dailytech:

From the very article you quoted

DDR3, like DDR2, has 240-pin, but the two formats are not pin-compatible.

Which means in order to protect people from themselves the two have to be keyed differently. So they will not work in the same slot. Motherboard manufacturer's will have to choose whether to have 4 DDR2 slot, 4 DDR3 slot, or misture of the two slots (sort of like a lot of VIA based boards).

are they really micron? from what i've seen of those micron... they're not bad at all. nothing like B6, but it should do >500mhz with some tweaking
and the micron is EXPENSIVE :eek:

They're probably not more then $6 a chip, which is a lot less then B6 was at about 5 months ago.

There's only one real good overclocking 128Mx8 chip out there right now, and it's the one we at mushkin use in our 4GB kits.

They're probably not more then $6 a chip, which is a lot less then B6 was at about 5 months ago.

There's only one real good overclocking 128Mx8 chip out there right now, and it's the one we at mushkin use in our 4GB kits.

only one eh?
and i take it you're a mushkin rep then? might wanna talk to kyle to get your title fixed ;)

and it has to be a lot more than $6 a chip. otherwise the 2x2gb sticks would be in the $300 range, not $400-500 range. maybe more like $10-$12 as a guess?

Most of them are currently hanging out in the $350 - $380 price range. I'm hoping to see a Corsair varient here soon... .... .... .... ....

However, with a 6600 and a decent PC-6400, you should be able to hit 3.5 to 3.6 with minimal issues (in theory).

With you alleging to be a "Mushkin rep", care to devulge more info with regards to the sticks you use?

Most of them are currently hanging out in the $350 - $380 price range. I'm hoping to see a Corsair varient here soon... .... .... .... ....

However, with a 6600 and a decent PC-800, you should be able to hit 3.5 to 3.6 with minimal issues (in theory).

I'm really not trying to be an ass, just helpful. It's DDR2-800 or PC2-6400, PC-800 has a different meaning entirely (at least to me). I read that and saw PC-800 and thought of an old Intel system with Rambus RIMMs. :)

care to devulge more info with regards to the sticks you use?

I'm under an NDA, so I can't say anything about what we're using in ours.

It's probably be under $6 a chip for the HQ, actually. With build cost and that they wouldn't be making much margin if it was at $6. I also think the Nanya 128Mx8 are around the same cost, we have both of those qual'd for a 6400 5-5-5 part.

Just sort of an update. I'm really eyeballing the Patriot eXtreme Performance 5-5-5-12 kit. It's one of the cheapest ($350) and it has the best timings out of all the PC2-6400 kits. The next best is 5-5-5-15 which is on all but one G.Skill kit.

How is Patriot? I've heard good about them in the past but I'm curious if anyone knows anything about this kit?

I'm going to do some digging around to see what I can find but I'm interested in the replies.

Back