How are the G.Skill 4GB kits overclocking?

I'll probably just get that patriot kit if it's still the fastest near the end of April.

I've been doing some reading around and it appears that some people think that 5-5-5 timings are really bad for these kits.

It's 4GB's of ram, come on. The timings can't be that tight. Right?

If you haven't seen the new 4GB kits on Mushkin's website (announced last month) or been searching Newegg today, you'll see a couple of new 4GB Mushkin kits with VERY nice timings.

Currently out of stock on Newegg:

Mushkin 2x2GB 4-3-3-10 DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) 996561 $469.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146690

Mushkin 2x2GB 5-4-4-12 DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) 996562 $549.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146688

They're about $100 more on the Mushkin site. So... someone grab the Mushkin guy and lets hold him hostage for discounts ;)

If you haven't seen the new 4GB kits on Mushkin's website (announced last month) or been searching Newegg today, you'll see a couple of new 4GB Mushkin kits with VERY nice timings.

Currently out of stock on Newegg:

Mushkin 2x2GB 4-3-3-10 DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) 996561 $469.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146690

Mushkin 2x2GB 5-4-4-12 DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) 996562 $549.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146688

They're about $100 more on the Mushkin site. So... someone grab the Mushkin guy and lets hold him hostage for discounts ;)

Yowza! That's a lot more than I plan to spend on RAM thank you very much ;)

Thanks for bringing those up though, they do look real nice :)

only problem is that 4x1gb would be cheaper and faster :(

Egg Prices say it's about the same, actually.

Faster, I'm not so sure about on these. The 8500 4GB kits are actually a higher bin then the 8500 2GB kits. You'd probably get these up around 1200 with 2.4v in them, while the 2GB 8500s are probably going to really struggle above 1120.

These are just the observations from PD and binning, but any individuals results may vary.

So are there any downsides of getting 4 x 1GB over 2 x 2GB (with a 680i motherboard)?

Well apparently 680i's have trouble when all four RAM slots are occupied. RAM has to run at 667Mhz possibly with 2T command rate.

BUT

Now with these DFI boards coming out, the Infinity P965-S and the Lanparty 680i LT, they are proving to be great overclockers with the Infinity showing itself about on par with 975X boards.

Anywho, I suppose if the DFI lanparty board uses nVidia's chipset, it will probably still suffer that same problem when all four RAM slots are occupied. Hopefully not but it's pretty likely.

Some people have managed to use 4 x 1GB running at 1T and an awful lot higher than 667Mhz, but i'm wondering what the chances are of pulling this off. I don't want to add 2 x 1GB to an existing set and have to run them all at 667Mhz and 2T command rate- if so i'd rather just go with the more expensive 2 x 2GB in the first place.

no, winston thought ddr2 and ddr3 were interchangable. i said no. all you did was prove that upcoming products will have both ddr2 and ddr3 memory controllers in them, not that they are compatible with each other. ;)

Ahh okay, yes only new boards would be able to do this.

From the very article you quoted

Which means in order to protect people from themselves the two have to be keyed differently. So they will not work in the same slot. Motherboard manufacturer's will have to choose whether to have 4 DDR2 slot, 4 DDR3 slot, or misture of the two slots (sort of like a lot of VIA based boards).

Yes, but from research I have reason to believe that the slots would accommodate both of the same memory types in the same physical slot and the board would just adapt to that type of memory, but you can't use the same two in the same machine. From the pictures of the bearlakes, the boards slots are all identical.

I was wondering if they weren't going to do a 2+2 slot situation but from one or actually a couple of the articles it mentions being able to use 4 sticks of ram and having the function to stick to ddr2. Perhaps it's pins are different to notify the board of the different type of memory.

Right now I can't say for sure so I would just stay course in assuming it would be a logical step if they did that. The articles are also a little conflicting, but they all mention back wards compatibility. Usually back wards compatibility such as physical addition of slots are not known to be "back wards compatible".... just more or less of a feature that the mobo vendor tossed in (like the c2d's boards in which you can find normal ddr memory).

I guess we'll wait and come back to this post when the product is actually out so you or I can say "told you so" ;)

When you say "new", does that include the 680i boards as well?

*That Mushkin PC-6400 looks really impressive. Unless something else comes along, I'm leaning in that direction when I pick my next mobo / video card (Tired of waiting for the R600 vs. 8x00 products).

Still waiting on Corsair's response to this... :)

Back