How beefy of a power supply would I need?

achensherd

Limp Gawd
I'm presently in search of a new power supply, as the one I was using is going to go into another computer. However, I'm a bit at a loss in regards to power supplies in general, and thought maybe some people here might steer me in the right direction specific to my projected computer specs.

What would I need to power the computer in my sig, but was using an A64 X2 6400+ (not OC'd) instead of the 3600+, two 500GB hard drives (possibly in RAID 0, if that matters) instead of the 320GB, and an ATI HD 3870 instead of the integrated video? Also, what about if I went up to an HD3870 X2?

The one requirement I have is that the PSU has to have modular cables, due to the size of my mATX case. As for preference, well, one with 80%+ efficiency would be nice. Cost also matters, so nothing too expensive <$200 for sure, preferably as close to $100 as possible, over or under.

There's a deal at Fry's right now for an Antec Neopower 500W for $60. I pondered a good long while with it in my hands yesterday, but walked away without it, worried about its reliability after reading some above-average but not-spectacular reviews for it (on my cell phone on the spot). I can still go back for it, as the deal's still on until I guess next week, but was I right to leave it behind?

I'm a big fan of the Corsair 620HX it's got great steady power and modular cabling. It's no lightweight though. One thing is you'll probably never get close to pushing it but it has lots of options for cabling which a smaller PSU might not have. You'll need 2 - 3 Sata connector and then PCIexpress power connectors. You will be paying over 120 no matter where you go though.

I'm a big fan of the Corsair 620HX it's got great steady power and modular cabling. It's no lightweight though. One thing is you'll probably never get close to pushing it but it has lots of options for cabling which a smaller PSU might not have. You'll need 2 - 3 Sata connector and then PCIexpress power connectors. You will be paying over 120 no matter where you go though.

I 2nd that!

I have one, and I'd also recommend it. Very quiet and high quality, and the modular cabling is good. It'd provide more power that you need, but I wouldn't want to be running up against the limit anyway.

So the consensus is the 620HX. Thanks everyone :).

One question, though: would the 520HX also be enough for my projected system?

+1 for 620hx

The 520 could handle single 3870 but i would go wtih the 620 if you considering 3870x2

Back