How can I get IE to save without using temp files?

mustang_steve

c[H]ewbacca
Yeah this is an odd one.

I was wondering if there was a way to not have IE use temp files for saving stuff off the internet.

For example, right now if I was to save blah.avi. It would save it as some strange name in /documentsandsettings/irtehsuck/localsettings/temp/ , and then after it's done with teh download would copy it to a new folders as the proper name (in this case on my desktop as blah.avi).

Now why the hell is it not just doing a basic rename/move operation....it's doing a COPY, which is the most hardware intensive way to do this.

I'd rather not have to deal with that mess, since it gets really annoying once the files are 1GB or larger.

I never did find a way around that... I just started using Opera (which is a better browser anyway IMO), which doesn't have that problem. Where you save things is directly where they go... no temp spot *then* moved / copied.

That's cool. Thianks for the info. And I thought Opera was only good for being able to be installed on company PCs, with overly restrictive user privs :p

Back