How can I know if this eVGA 7900GTX SC is bad ?

Juic3

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi,

A friend says his 7900GTX is bad from the factory, he says after playing NFS MW for a while(1+ hrs) the game freezes for 5-10 seconds without loosing image and then comes back(in all this time he CAN alt+tab though), also on FEAR, after the intro when Fettel hits you and you just take the hit and fall down, he says it stays there, black screen for 10 or more seconds.

His specs
x2 4800+
MSI Diamond Plus
Powerstream 520w
2GB OCZ Plat
ASUS Vento Case
7900GTX SC

Now I have this one in my rig, testing it out, to me it seems perfectly fine, I tried FEAR and that part had no problems at all, NFS for 30 mins(still have to the the 1+ hour test), and 3DMark 2006 gets 6300 pts, 3DMark 2005 gets 11300... those sound perfectly fine to me, right ? My rig is the one in the sig btw. Temps are 40C idle and 65C load.

One thing I did find weird was a couple of things 3Dmark 2006 in the boat scene, if you guys have the time to check out this bmp:
http://home.galileo.edu/~rodrigo007/pics/3dmark2006.bmp

Im seeing white dots in the lower right corner coming from the water, thing is they are showing up at stock (650/800) settings too, I dont remember if those are always there and cant see cause I sold my X1800XL :p

Also ran rthdribl for 15+ mins and no problems, Quake 4 Ultra settings no problems, these were only quick tests though, I got home from work at like 11pm :( Ill give it more testing at night or the weekend :D

Any pointers ? Could it be some setting in the Diamond board ? The white dots on 3DMark2006 worry me though.

white dots=bad (overheating or too high clock frequency etc...)

3D mark 2006 uses alot more of the GPU than anything else.

kleox64 said:
white dots=bad (overheating or too high clock frequency etc...)

Did you see them on the .bmp ?
:(

Theyre still there at 650/800 too.

at least try the card in a different PC, there should be NO WHITE DOTS in any games.

Usually when you experience lock ups for a few seconds, its due to high clock speeds. I've experienced problems like this back in the geforce3 days when I would oc the card too high. Back it down and retest. I'm quite positive that your friends problem would cease after doing so.

Is it possible that your friend's CPU is throttling? This sounds like it could be a heat issue. One way to find out would be to install the card in your friend's computer again and run Prime 95 and RTHDRIBL simultaneously over several hours, monitoring the temperatures and stability periodically.

If the card is running fine in your computer then it sounds like there may be something going on with your friend's rig. So yeah, check the CPU.

BTW I think those white dots are just a pixel shading effect on the water... I remember seeing those when I ran 3DMark06 a couple of months ago. The image you posted doesn't really show very well though. I think it's fine.

Ok, just tried Most Wanted for an hour+, it locks up and comes back and booom artifactown, this ones going back.

bad7900gtx5jy.jpg

Oh if anyone has time and bandwidth to waste:
http://home.galileo.edu/~rodrigo007/videos/

Theres the video of the forest and boat scene from 3dmark 06, theres some weird things in both, the white dots on the boat scene like I mentioned are there, lower right corner in the water.

yes i had the same problem but instead of white dots mine were blue dots. i just did an RMA for my card, returned it to them and in 3 days eVGA sent me a new card! i finally have a good 7900gtx and i love it to death. worth every penny i paid for it.

Back