How can I make an exact copy of a user profile?? (Windows XP Pro)

ChingChang

Supreme [H]ardness
Posted here awhile ago. But I realize I was sort of asking the wrong question. If I can duplicate the profile, I can just manually change the SCT settings for each profile I duplicate.

Right now I have set up a Limited Account (GUI, icon arrangement, application data, etc). I need to make a couple more accounts, and I would like them to be the same as the first account.
Basically I am just trying to make an exact copy of a limited account profile (aside from then ame), then I can make minor changes to each instead of having to recreate everything.

I tried just copying the contents of the user folder in Documents and Settings, but that didn't work too well...

The easiest way for this is to create 3 accounts since this action will create 3 profiles. Log in the first profile then configure to suit your needs then get back in the admin account to give proper rights to the first account. When you are done, go to My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced Tab -> User Accounts then use the copy option to copy the first profile into the 2 others. When you are done, go in the other accounts and tweak to suit the specific needs of each account.

maybe I did something wrong... but that didn't make an exact copy of the profile. It was better than nothing, but it did not copy the interface (had to save the theme then load it separately), or certain settings (such as showing My Computer and other icons on desktop, or showing certain icons in Start menu).

I believe some settings is global and others specific to each profile. I believe it's made on purpose to avoid moving private data from 1 profile to another by accident.

Back