How Did Audi Make the First Car with Level 3 Autonomy?

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Audi has unveiled its 2017 A8 luxury sedan, and its claim to fame is obvious: the automaker insists that it is the first vehicle to allow for truly hands-off and eyes-off driving. Unlike others, where driver assistance systems such as Active Cruise Control and Lane Departure Warning work together to propel the car, the A8 “drives itself and monitors everything itself.” This Level 3 autonomy appears to be possible in large part due to a laser scanner mounted in the lower grille that enhances the car’s vision.

The laser beams (yes, frickin' lasers, Austin Powers' fans) are reflected back from objects up ahead in less than a millisecond and processed, to provide a picture of the environment in front. The laser scanner is in addition to the essentials used by BMW, Volvo et al. – radar, camera and multiple sensors, to monitor the zone around the car and road markings. Audi also credits an enormous amount of computing power in the “zFAS” control board, which processes the data from all the autonomous systems and decides what the car should do. With all this kit to plumb in, it's no surprise Audi needed a new electronic architecture, so rivals won't be able to catch up overnight.

Laser in the front, a Pontiac had it first.
landscape-1432311981-lot-8-a.jpg

"Sadly the parameters in which you can use this system are extremely specific. Audi calls it Traffic Jam Pilot, which gives a big clue to when and where it can be used: in stop/go motorway congestion, at speeds of up to 60kmh (37mph). The system doesn't have to worry about oncoming traffic as it's on the other side of the Armco."

Only up to 37 MPH?
Try again.
I'd want something I can use on long trips on the open highway at up to 80 MPH (for hours at a time or at night).
I can manage a 20-30 minute drive in rush hour traffic on my own.

Audi claims level 4 will be available to consumers in 2020 for people in states that license autonomous vehicles.

20 years ago I watched videos in Germany where they were already training autonomous vehicles in the mid 1990s... possibly they just started 20 years before USA?

"Sadly the parameters in which you can use this system are extremely specific. Audi calls it Traffic Jam Pilot, which gives a big clue to when and where it can be used: in stop/go motorway congestion, at speeds of up to 60kmh (37mph). The system doesn't have to worry about oncoming traffic as it's on the other side of the Armco."

Only up to 37 MPH?
Try again.
I'd want something I can use on long trips on the open highway at up to 80 MPH (for hours at a time or at night).
Sweet I want teleportation that tells me winning lottery numbers.

lol

Only up to 37 MPH?
Try again.

I was wondering what the 'very specific circumstances' mentioned in the article were.

Even though Tesla's are rated at Level 2, don't they already excel flawlessly under this scenario? I guess the only difference is that it would be the car's fault (Audi's?) if something went wrong with this system.

Only up to 37 MPH?
Try again.

From what I've been told, that's not going to happen for 4 or 5 years. I suspect the key is get something like this out, get it tested in the real world then go a bit faster until you eventually get to highway speeds.
Also, given that most accidents occur within 5 miles of your home, that auto driving in traffic is probably a good thing. I know I'd be pretty happy to not have to deal with stop and go traffic. Just pull out my phone play a game or whatever while the car drive me home.

The Germans already can't make an automotive electrical system worth a damn. Now this?

Mechanic's best friends are what these are.

Given the limitations I'm not sure what this really offers over what many cars do already, the tech is good but the application is poor. The Distronic with lane keep in newer Mercedes gives pretty much the same outcome in heavy traffic except it nags you to put your hand on the wheel. Tesla is the same.

I'm sure they're doing it as the thin end of the wedge, to give greater latitude when the regulations and liabilities are sorted but still, underwhelmed.

Plus an A8 is really a car to be driven in, who gives a shit :)

I wonder how often those things have to be calibrated and/or cleaned. The bumpers are usually the first thing that gets screwed up on a car. Jackass drives over a curb, clips the parking stopper, minor rear endings, or just good old fashion pot holes + vibration. Not to mention dirt and grime on the sensors.

The robots have it coming to them, there's going to be so many more humans conceived in cars now.

I wonder how often those things have to be calibrated and/or cleaned. The bumpers are usually the first thing that gets screwed up on a car. Jackass drives over a curb, clips the parking stopper, minor rear endings, or just good old fashion pot holes + vibration. Not to mention dirt and grime on the sensors.

Most people who can afford an A8 aren't going to be driving around with a messed up bumper.

Yeah. Its a "getting there" story and not a "let the car drive" story. When someone makes a car that can drive itself anywhere in manhattan during rush hour, then a car that can drive itself has been made.

Taking your hands off the steering wheel on straight highway miles is an automation but not as impressive as the media makes it.

Take a corner, coast, accelerate, stop at the red light then make a u-turn because the driver forget his wallet - thats automation :)

and impressive.....

It's all fine and dandy for that one or two $70K Audi spread out on the road but I really wonder how they plan to deal with the endgame where every single car is pumping out more laser, radar, ultrasonic, and RF than an EA-6B Prowler?

Only up to 37 MPH?
Try again.

Lol I've been able to do this for nearly two years now, even with the first Tesla autopilot release. So much for Level 3 autonomy. I also won't expect any OTA updates from Audi to lift a few restrictions; those will be in next year's model.

What happens at level 5?
It's referred to as "wheel optional." It's considered complete autonomy, where the car can handle every driving situation a human can, so no babysitting or intervention is required at all. BMW claims it will be there in less than 5 years.

Why is Audi trying to brag about some shit system that operates in stop n go traffic and nothing else? What am I missing here? How does this compete with Tesla?

Why is Audi trying to brag about some shit system that operates in stop n go traffic and nothing else? What am I missing here? How does this compete with Tesla?

It doesn't compete with Tesla and Volvo yet if it's really limited to 37 mph. I'd rather just have to keep a hand on the wheel and have my vehicle eat up the miles at 80 mph then be able to remove it from the wheel only when I"m stuck in heavy traffic.

Autonomous vehicles should be used for public transportation only, with a licensed operator on-board. The public mass shouldn't have access to these things.

Back