How do I access internal network through an MDU remotely?

theDeviL

Limp Gawd
I recently moved to a new building when the have what called an MDU (Multidwelling Unit).The building has local network that assigns internal IP's to all the apartments. In the past I've been able to access my home network either via RDP of and other programs like couch potato via port forwards. but win this new config its hard to bypass and the only fix would be to pay for a static IP from the provider which cots $20 a month.

I was wondering if the more knowledgeable folks here have a solution around this obstacle. I'l live to continue to access my internal web apps remotely.

TIA!

You can do an IPv6 tunnel as one option.

You'll need to either get a port forward on the MDU or you'll need to get an external IP most likely.

You can do an IPv6 tunnel as one option.

You'll need to either get a port forward on the MDU or you'll need to get an external IP most likely.

Forwarding ports on my router will only reach the building network, which is why they want to charge me $20 for a static IP. I was hoping there was some way or some tool to get pass the the internal IP. I think something like team viewer might work for remoting into my server but I don't know of any way to access my week stuff remotely and even TV is not an ideal solution.

Really depends on how much work you want to put into this, but you could just get an outside VPS and establish an outgoing VPN to it then route ports from the VPS's IP back over your VPN into your home network (a site-to-site VPN essentially). I do something similar for a few services that I run on my home network but don't want accessed directly via my provider's dynamic IP.

I had the same issue at one of my apartments. My solution was to get a UBNT Edgemax light router and a VPS. Then i setup a VPN tunnel between the two and set certain traffic to route out the VPN tunnel. I kept having issues with SSH when i was double natted and the router/firewall/hotspot thing would time the connection out. The best part was the device used to control the internet was a embedded XP machine :/

Back