How do i change active booting OS?

Swordfish45

Limp Gawd
This is my boot INI:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP 3 Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer

I want to change it so "Microsoft Windows XP 3 Edition" is the active default and so that it no longer prompts me on boot. the current default contains no data, and is just a redundant choice.

Im sure its a simple matter, but i want the whole answer, and not just a half-assed attempt at trying to fix it myself

Another question: what is the directory of the Boot.INI? I found it through my computer/properties, it doesn't give me a directory.

The boot.ini file is located on the top root of the C:\ drive. I highly recommend making a backup copy of that file before you edit it.

If you can't see it, it's because Windows hides important stuff like that.

Go to the folder options. Under the View tab, uncheck "Hide system files" or something.

Well this one isnt 2 hard. right click on my computer and select properties or access it through start > control panel > classic view > system
From this point click on the advanced tab > under startup and recovery options settings > UNcheck time to display list of operating systems OR change to a low number like 1 or 2 > click ok > close any open windows and restart.

Thanks guys. :D

and, Six, in my case i wouldn't be able to boot...

How would i cange the default os? it only gives me one choice in the Startup dropdown list

If it's only showing one choice, then you only have one option to boot from.

Six said:
UNcheck time to display list of operating systems OR change to a low number like 1 or 2 > click ok > close any open windows and restart.
You should leave this option to around 5 or so, because anyone who troubleshoots their own computer should have the Recovery Console installed as one of the choices.

so wait, you have 2 operating systems and one is missing from your boot.ini???

Swordfish45 said:
Yea, but there's two up there.

Actually you only have the one choice

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1 )partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP 3 Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer

default= sets what os is loaded from those listed under [operating systems]
You only have the one OS listed. If you look at both lines they both list
"multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1 )partition(1)\WINDOWS"
"timeout=" is the time in seconds that the menu is diplayed. If you let it timeout then the default= is loaded. If you set it to zero (0) seconds you skip the selection menu and default= is loaded. Removing the checkmark for time to display list of operating systems sets it to zero.

That's what was confusing me...I thought it was only giving one choice as well.

I think the OP needs to leave his boot.ini alone to start with ;)

Try Reformatting your OS partition.

You DO have an OS partition, right???

bLaCktIGErs91 said:
I think the OP needs to leave his boot.ini alone to start with ;)

Try Reformatting your OS partition.

You DO have an OS partition, right???

Normally formating the partition with your operating system on it will erase your boot.ini along with windows and all your programs and files. So you are saying not to edit the boot.ini so that timeout=0 and instead reinstall windows and all your programs? :eek:
I don't think so Tim. ;)

alphanumeric said:
Normally formating the partition with your operating system on it will erase your boot.ini along with windows and all your programs and files. So you are saying not to edit the boot.ini so that timeout=0 and instead reinstall windows and all your programs? :eek:
I don't think so Tim. ;)
Nah. I put my OS one it's own partition and reformat it weekly, I keep things Fresh :) I mean yes, he COULD do that, but it seems lik ehe was messing where he shouldn't have in the first place
;)

bLaCktIGErs91 said:
Nah. I put my OS one it's own partition and reformat it weekly, I keep things Fresh :) I mean yes, he COULD do that, but it seems lik ehe was messing where he shouldn't have in the first place
;)
I hope you're employing a drive imaging program, if you reformat once a week.

Why would you go through the time and hassle of installing XP manually, once a week?

djnes said:
Why would you go through the time of installing XP manually, once a week?
I dont, manually. Do you know how to set it up to install unattended? All i do is pop in the CD and floppy, and let it go.

Yes, I do know how to do that. But it takes longer than a drive imaging program. The point your missing is WHY? Do you change the tires on your car after every mile?

djnes said:
Yes, I do know how to do that. But it takes longer than a drive imaging program. The point your missing is WHY? Do you change the tires on your car after every mile?
Why? Because I'm not the only one to use the PC. Everyone else here decides that they can install whatever the hell they want :/. Well. They Do. I can have so much syware that you wouldnt know what to do (IE: It will take me 15 Minutes to load FF :/). Unfortunately, we cant afford 2 PC's and this is just.....well the only option. Within days. I guess i COULD try a Drive imaging program, but I really havent looked into it.

Why not give everyone else limited user accounts, since they clearly are unable to handle the responsibility of maintaining a PC, and then allow only yourself as an admin?

djnes said:
Why not give everyone else limited user accounts, since they clearly are unable to handle the responsibility of maintaining a PC, and then allow only yourself as an admin?
Tried it :/

I'm trying to get the cash to get my own, I'll let theirs go to hell. Hell, I even tried loading up SuSe, thinking there'd be NO way they could mess that up. I was SOO wrong. I'd make me admin, but it's not my pc and my dad won't let me. So they get the run of the PC.

I guess, if you're that young, and don't have your own computer, you are mostly powerless. However, I would start putting my foot down, and refusing the fix the problems, if they persist. You have to get to a point where you have to say no and force people to learn. If not, they suffer from not having a well-functioning computer.

djnes said:
I guess, if you're that young, and don't have your own computer, you are mostly powerless. However, I would start putting my foot down, and refusing the fix the problems, if they persist. You have to get to a point where you have to say no and force people to learn. If not, they suffer from not having a well-functioning computer.
Yea. I need this PC for my CAD work and stuff though. If I let it go too long, I'll be F'ed. Here in about a month Ill have gotten enough for a decent PC. So 'Sall good.

/Thread Hijack

Good. Then you can wash your hands of that mess, and have a big neon sign saying "I told you so".

bLaCktIGErs91 said:
/Thread Hijack

Thank you.

Now, let me explain a little. I was installing 2 new partitions on a new harddrive using the XP install disk. Upon making a partion i accidentaly started a new xp install. I canceled, but it still got through the process or canging the mbr to display the root to OS #2 and named it WINDOWS on the os selection screen after POST. the real one is labled
"Microsoft Windows XP 3 Edition"

Im wondering, for someone familiar to the boot ini, how to change it so that WINDOWS no longer apperars in the selection.

If i have to fool around with the partiton, thats fine.

God damn it, you could hijack air force one with that shit... ;)

bLaCktIGErs91 said:
;)

True enough, but if he does it the way SIX quoted "under startup and recovery options" it's safe enough. If you go in and manually edit the boot.ini and mess it up then you have problems. In this case it's a simple edit to change the timeout=30 to timeout=0.

Even if your OS is on its own partition don't you still have to re-install all you apps to be able to use them again? I would think that would be a lot of wear and tear on the hard drive too. :(

Swordfish45 said:
Thank you.

Now, let me explain a little. I was installing 2 new partitions on a new harddrive using the XP install disk. Upon making a partion i accidentaly started a new xp install. I canceled, but it still got through the process or canging the mbr to display the root to OS #2 and named it WINDOWS on the os selection screen after POST. the real one is labled
"Microsoft Windows XP 3 Edition"

Im wondering, for someone familiar to the boot ini, how to change it so that WINDOWS no longer apperars in the selection.

If i have to fool around with the partiton, thats fine.

God damn it, you could hijack air force one with that shit... ;)

When your PC boots up do you actually get have more than one OS displayed on the selection screen? If your boot.ini is as you posted you should only get one option.
Microsoft Windows XP 3 Edition
"WINDOWS in the line "default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS" refers to the "WINDOWS" directory.
What is between the quotation marks in the line
In this case "Microsoft Windows XP 3" is what is displayed on the selection screen.
One thing I did notice is the the rdisk value is different between the two lines, it shouldn't be. Did you edit anything? rdisk(0) is the primary hard drive and rdisk(1) is the slave drive.
partition(1) is the primary partition.
Here is my boot.ini
[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows NT Workstation" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /bootlogo /noguiboot

I have windows installed to the primary partition of the master drive on my primary IDE controller. The directory is C:\WINDOWS and it would display "Microsoft Windows NT Workstation" If I set it up to display the menu.

so are you able to still boot into windows, what you did to your computer and your current status is a little confusing, especially whith all this jibber in the middle of the posts

Well so you know, i fixed it.
The rdisk(#) value in line 1 is supposed to match the opperating system you want to boot with. so i changed it to rdisk(0)

/thread

Back