How do I change work unit?

oneils

Limp Gawd
I'm sure this has been asked before, but can't find it in any FAQs.

I was assigned a WU. Display indicates that it will end on May 7th. Project Summary says that it expires in 53 days...which is about 5 weeks before May 7th.

Folding@Home FAQ indicates that expired WUs are less usefull. So, why do they assign my machine a WU that will expire?

Any help you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.

I would give it a day to run. The WU should level out its finish date after a few frames done. Be patient. As long as this isn't a P3 or even a P2 class system, it should finish on time.

Cool, thanks. Didin't think of that.

By the way, how many frames does a project usually have? This one has 5000.

edit, just checked the progress of my work unit. WU End already changed to Wednesday Feb. 7 - lol!

Frames vary from project to project. Usually best way to see your performance is time between percentages. For example, my SMP P-D 805 processor takes about 14 minutes to go from one percent complete to two percent complete. Over the course of the entire work unit it will vary slightly, but will be mostly arround 14 minutes. This equates out to a PPD (points per day) formula that is widely used and tells performance information by each processor. It sounds like your using the graphical client? Do you have any preference on staying with that client, or would a switch be possible? The graphical client has been known to have issues when runing multiple cores and it is traditionally slower than the command line client.

Hey ICE_9, I only have a single core cpu (A64 2800+, s754), so no worries for that part. But, when this WU is done, I'll give the console version a go to see what its like.

Yeah, the console client is favored around here also because it can run as a service--it's in the background, invisible. The preferred method of monitoring the progress is by using Electron Microscope, which can be downloaded for free. If you have multiple machines, EM can monitor them all at once.

Back