how do I get rid of this message at start up?

mjohn1378

Limp Gawd
I have vista home premium and would like to know how to get rid of this message at startup and automatically run the program.

warning.jpg

It is being caused by the soundmax sound software.

Sounds kind of dumb but have you tried unchecking the box that says always ask before opening this file?

lol ^^^^^ +1111111111111

edit: i cant express how hilarious i think that is

lol ^^^^^ +1111111111111

edit: i cant express how hilarious i think that is

Lol i am hoping they already tried that for their sake...they managed to screen shot it and post the pic i would think they would have noticed the check box

i cant imagine why windows would keep doing the popup after unchecking it though.

if thats the case, uncheck it on boot, then go to start/restart. sometimes if u shut it down with the button or reset button the settings dont carry over and need an appropriate reboot.

yes I have tried that.
I should have mentioned that I tried that and it did not work.
Every time I restart I get the message.

I understand there is some way using gpedit.msc to make the message not come up at all for .exe files but I do not have gpedit.msc on vista home prem.

can u go into security center and add the file to allowed programs for the firewall manually?

I am not sure but would disabling UAC work? Although that has its disadvantages...

I am not sure but would disabling UAC work? Although that has its disadvantages...

that would certainly work i would think..

try this:

control panel/security/windows firewall/allow a program through windows firewall/select from list or click add program and fill in the path.

Is the audio driver signed/verified for your hardware and Vista ?

I dont see anything about windows firewall in the pop up..only 'publisher could not be verified...."

Thanks for your help.

I was able to stop the message from coming up but I don't know if my method has any security flaws.

Under HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
I created a key called Associations
In there I created a String Value called ModRiskFileTypes
For the data I entered .exe

Thanks for your help.

I was able to stop the message from coming up but I don't know if my method has any security flaws.

Under HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
I created a key called Associations
In there I created a String Value called ModRiskFileTypes
For the data I entered .exe

You just turned off protection for every single executable that you or something else downloads.

You just turned off protection for every single executable that you or something else downloads
That doesn't sound good.

.exe is originally a high risk file type.
Making it a moderate stopped the warning from popping up but why?
From the info I found about the *riskfiletypes it doesn't seem to make sense to me as to why the warning stopped appearing when I reassigned .exe to moderate risk..

I am going to reassign it back to high risk and see if the warning reappears.

*RiakFileType differences

High Risk
If the attachment is in the list of high risk file types and is from the restricted zone, Windows blocks the user from accessing the file. If the file is from the Internet zone, Windows prompts the user before accessing the file.
Moderate Risk
If the attachment is in the list of moderate risk file types and is from the restricted or Internet zone, Windows prompts the user before accessing the file.
Low Risk
If the attachment is in the list of low risk file types, Windows will not prompt the user before accessing the file, regardless of the file’s zone information.

I disabled UAC and don't get that message.
I really don't want to disable UAC and see the warning about it being disabled 24/7

By the way, no AERO?
Fresh os install and I have not updated my windows score since installing the video card drivers so I have a score of 1.0 and no Aero.

i never could figure out how to get it to work either i had a CTHelper that always asks this on my HTPC, its not part of UAC since it never asks for admin access..

I dont see anything in the pic about downloading that file from a web site/file server.

I dont see how the 'attachment' options would do anything to fix this.

I would check the website for whoever makes your motherboard and see if they have a newer version of the sound driver, preferably one that's more Vista-compliant.

The Soundmax-equipped PCs I use at work with Vista x64 don't generate any alarms for the sound driver.

I would check the website for whoever makes your motherboard and see if they have a newer version of the sound driver, preferably one that's more Vista-compliant.

The Soundmax-equipped PCs I use at work with Vista x64 don't generate any alarms for the sound driver.

//nods in agreement.

Seems like prior driver installation didn't complete. Just get the latest drivers, and install them.

Sounds kind of dumb but have you tried unchecking the box that says always ask before opening this file?

Yep, it's a security warning for an executable downloaded from the internet. Unchecking the box or clicking the "Unblock" button on the file's properties should get rid of that warning.

//nods in agreement.

Seems like prior driver installation didn't complete. Just get the latest drivers, and install them.

^^^This is most likely your problem.

why use user access control if your the only user, if you are?

It's a security measure that prevents changes to administrative settings and unauthorized files from starting. If the UAC prompt pops up and you didn't do anything that should cause it, you know that something is up.

on a clean install i was getting UAC for everything so i turned it off. i figure if xp doesnt have it and i was safe on that, then i dont need it bugging me in vista. thats just me i guess. GL to OP

on a clean install i was getting UAC for everything so i turned it off. i figure if xp doesnt have it and i was safe on that, then i dont need it bugging me in vista. thats just me i guess. GL to OP
"Everything"?

I can count the number of apps that I have that generate UACs on one hand. Unless someone is spending 10 hours a day clicking on Control Panel and Adminstrative Tools icons, UAC should be a rarity.

Back