How do I get vanilla Android?

scrawnypaleguy

Limp Gawd
So I've got a Droid Incredible (recently got the OTA update to 2.2) and I was wondering if it was possible to root and install just regular, plain jane, official Google-sponsored Android 2.2. I'm tired of the whole "Sense UI" thing as it doesn't really add anything to the experience and is just ugly. I know there are a ton of ROMs out there, but I just don't like the idea of installing third-party software with a bunch of hacks and questionable stability and oftentimes incomplete functionality all supported by some dude (or dudes) that I don't know.

So is it possible to just find a ROM of vanilla Android 2.2 out there, or does that basically not exist for anyone without a Nexus One or Motorola Droid?

xda-developers is where you want to go. This isn't the forum for that.

So I've got a Droid Incredible (recently got the OTA update to 2.2) and I was wondering if it was possible to root and install just regular, plain jane, official Google-sponsored Android 2.2. I'm tired of the whole "Sense UI" thing as it doesn't really add anything to the experience and is just ugly. I know there are a ton of ROMs out there, but I just don't like the idea of installing third-party software with a bunch of hacks and questionable stability and oftentimes incomplete functionality all supported by some dude (or dudes) that I don't know.

So is it possible to just find a ROM of vanilla Android 2.2 out there, or does that basically not exist for anyone without a Nexus One or Motorola Droid?

CyanogenMod 6.x is what you want.

http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/5630-cyanogenmod-6-for-the-htc-incredible-whatota-v601-08292010/

I suspect that it doesn't exist, since the only official ROMs for that phone are the ones provided by HTC with Sense. Handset makers are responsible for building in drivers and other hardware support, so custom builds are required for the phone to work at all.

I'm sure there are some mostly stock ROMs available for the phone though (made by evil hackers :p, and will require rooting), and of course you always have the option of just downloading a different launcher and not using the Sense apps. Cyanogen is good, I use it on my N1 and it's faster and gets considerably better battery life than the stock 2.2 ROM. Plus wifi works properly (but I think this was an isolated N1 problem).

You've got it completely wrong bud, its the rom's from the OEM's that are bloated, lacking features, and buggy. I second the suggestion from Vermillion! I've been running Cyanogen's ROM's for a year now and he is by far the best coder for Android. He adds a LOT of features that are not present in the vanilla roms, also you have the option to keep 99% of the vanilla stuff should you want it.

You will need to first root your phone, then you can grab rom manager and do to town. :)

You will need to first root your phone, then you can grab rom manager and do to town. :)

Go this route and never look back. Get the paid ROM Manager version as it has more builds to download. It literally takes all the headaches out of swapping out ROMs. You can get each rom set up exactly how you want it back it up and switch between them whenever you get bored with your current set up.

Recommend checking this out as an easy one touch root option.

Oh okay, thanks for the advice guys. I guess I'll start looking into Cyanogenmod 6 and maybe root and install it this weekend. Wish me luck!

You've got it completely wrong bud, its the rom's from the OEM's that are bloated, lacking features, and buggy. I second the suggestion from Vermillion! I've been running Cyanogen's ROM's for a year now and he is by far the best coder for Android. He adds a LOT of features that are not present in the vanilla roms, also you have the option to keep 99% of the vanilla stuff should you want it.

What additional features do you get? I never got the point of rooting, sure it's nice to wipe all the bloatware from the phone but with the INC theres only about 4 apps that would be considered bloat.

If I had a motorolla phone I would be all over the rooting wagon because I hate their OEM OS. HTC Sense, however, is actually really cool, snappy and I like using it.

Just to make sure, those root options you guys linked to will work on my 2.2 updated Incredible, right? I don't have to revert back to 2.1 first or anything?

What additional features do you get? I never got the point of rooting, sure it's nice to wipe all the bloatware from the phone but with the INC theres only about 4 apps that would be considered bloat.

If I had a motorolla phone I would be all over the rooting wagon because I hate their OEM OS. HTC Sense, however, is actually really cool, snappy and I like using it.

They all have the same OS (android), HTCs just have their own home screen for it which is HTC Sense. Rooting just allows you to run programs that require elevated permissions (admin basically) such as rom manager or setcpu. Plus there are more ways to optimize the OS to run faster besides deleting some useless apps.

Just to make sure, those root options you guys linked to will work on my 2.2 updated Incredible, right? I don't have to revert back to 2.1 first or anything?

You'll have to research that. I rooted back on 2.1 and never applied the official OTA update. I don't know if they've been able to get root on OTA 2.2 Devices yet.

One touch root for 2.2 froyo Incredible Quick google brought that up. For specifics research the crap out of it before you start doing anything.

Over/under clock the processor to increase speed or save on battery life. In the case of the N1, use features that were never used by the stock settings. Change LED colors for notifications etc... Fix the issue of losing wifi connection when the phone sleeps. The ability to move all apps to the sdcard. Doesn't include the stock google aps though. Install custom themes, change the pic on boot up, access and view hulu streams ( i never did get this one to work) Get access to leaked roms.

With gingerbread around the corner you can pretty much gauranty there will be a leaked ROM that will make it to rooted phones faster than the official. Change the radio to help improve signal quality, voice quality.

Only huge downside is most of the time unless you wait for stable builds or use only stable builds. You're a beta tester.

Like everything else though research the crap out of it before you dive in. There are real risks involved in bricking your phone if you flash out of order, use the incorrect radio witht he wrong android build etc...

XDA is a solid place to start browsing on rooting. Here's the Incredible forums link

By rooting itself? Nothing really I guess. One of the big things is the ability to tether without having have to go through verizon or anything like that. Means you won't have to pay additional $$$ for your tethering. Also, you can overclock the CPU, down clock it, change V's to improve battery life, list goes it. I don't know about your bloat apps on incredible, but on Vibrant and My Touch slide, there are like 5-7 bloat apps that constantly run in the background. I had to root my phone, they were driving me nuts!

I couldn't even imaging going back to my stock Evo. Cyanogen has made it actually usable.. not to mention kickass!

Chalk up another vote for rooting and installing CyanogenMod. I have tried a lot of roms on my droid and Cyanogen is my favorite. It is not completely stock Android, but it is very close. The improvements are stable and minor, but also very welcome. Also consider switching your home app to LauncherPro (free and stable).

I couldn't even imaging going back to my stock Evo. Cyanogen has made it actually usable.. not to mention kickass!
When I had the evo, it was pretty laggy stock, specially since I was coming from the nexus one and a custom rom. Rooting it and flashing other roms, even with sense, helped performance quite a bit!

Back