How do I index a mapped server drive the right way in XP (file server is win2003 web)

t0mmyr

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a feeling I'm doing something wrong here, I just deployed a new file server at an offsite location, it's running a fresh install of Windows Server 2003 Web Edition, I removed IIS from it and pretty much only have it serving home drives and a shared network folder for 5 users at that location. After leaving the location the first day the server froze about 5 times, the following day I took another server chassis of the same model and specs and swapped the entire chassis retaining only the mirrored hard drives, it booted up fine and all went well, one of the employees noted the server room was really hot yesterday so this led me to think it was just heat failure, there's really not much in this tiny room but a very empty rack with a bosch video camera system, a switch, and now the new server, the room has a shared a/c vents with the office and the 5 guys in the office dont use the a/c, only when its really hot, we had shut the door so thats why it got hot the first day, the 2nd day we left the door open and heat was not an issue. All 5 client's pc's are running xp 32bit with windows desktop search 4.0 installed, I decided to uncheck indexing the mapped network share through windows search 4.0 on each of the desktops, went back to corporate and monitored the server throughout the day, everything went swell, no lock ups. Later on that night I remoted back into all the desktops at the location and turned on indexing of the mapped network share on all 5 systems, went home....then this morning I get an email from a client at that location saying the folder was inaccessible and they had to manually restart the server to get back into their files.

I have a feeling its something to do with all 5 systems trying to index a network shared mapped drive at the same time, I think I saw somewhere that I can have the server index itself instead and I'm sure I have things set up wrong, what's the proper way to do this so that each desktop can search an index really fast?

I have a feeling I'm doing something wrong here, I just deployed a new file server at an offsite location, it's running a fresh install of Windows Server 2003 Web Edition,

Windows Web Server was never designed to be a file server.

Reformat and install with Windows Server (2003 or 2008) Standard Edition.

give me a $600 for a license then please, we have spare oem web servers just sitting here

give me a $600 for a license then please, we have spare oem web servers just sitting here

As I like to tell people there is doing it cheap and there is doing it right and usually after you do it cheap you usually end up having to do it right.

But in all reality there should be no reason why you can't do it like that. I don't index any of my file servers from the client. Searches might take a few seconds longer but most people won't notice

You asked what could be wrong and I told you what it could be. If you don't like it then tough, you should have done your research and testing before putting it in production.

As I like to tell people there is doing it cheap and there is doing it right and usually after you do it cheap you usually end up having to do it right.

For every project in life there are 3 options: Cheap, Fast and Reliable. Reality dictates that you can only ever have 2 out the 3.

Seriously. I think your only option is to leave the indexing turned off... The Web version just wasn't designed to do what you want.

what if i enable indexing on the server only, would i be able to point my xp systems to that index somehow???

For every project in life there are 3 options: Cheap, Fast and Reliable. Reality dictates that you can only ever have 2 out the 3.

Seriously. I think your only option is to leave the indexing turned off... The Web version just wasn't designed to do what you want.

I work for the Government :p its either reliable or cheap there is no fast and I question reliable most days.

But I agree I have never like indexing anything I just leave it off. I have Terabytes of data here and searching still doesn't take that long. I searched a 500 in less than 2 minutes.

Back