How do I keep my roomies out of my shares?

darkangel74

Limp Gawd
I'm on a network and sharing files between my two computers but I got a nosy roommate. Anyway to keep him out? I'm using windows xp pro.

Turn your shares off. You can access your drives as an administrative share (so \\computer\D$

You will be prompted for the user name and password. Or you could create a separate network so he doesn't get in :p

Turn your shares off. You can access your drives as an administrative share (so \\computer\D$

You will be prompted for the user name and password. Or you could create a separate network so he doesn't get in :p
punch him? :D

Don't do simple file sharing...
Make sure you have an Administrator password...(should have one anyways, even if not sharing, for anti-malware reasons)..and use old style sharing to accounts. Add matching user accounts on each machine..and on the host machine, have that account in the share....no "everyone" in the NTFS part of the share (the security one...on the main share level can have everyone).

Don't do simple file sharing...
Make sure you have an Administrator password...(should have one anyways, even if not sharing, for anti-malware reasons)..and use old style sharing to accounts. Add matching user accounts on each machine..and on the host machine, have that account in the share....no "everyone" in the NTFS part of the share (the security one...on the main share level can have everyone).

QFT. Keep the share up , just take out the "Everyone" built in group.

Depending on your application, it might make more sense to sync files between the two computers instead... FolderShare (www.foldershare.com) is free and has made my life so much better in this sense.

All the family pictures are sync'd across computers, bookmarks, etc..

Back