How do I sleeve SATA cables? [not the power cable]

cruz610

Limp Gawd
PerformancePC offers a mod where they will sleeve your SATA cable. This would be great for me as I hate having the really stiff plastic and would prefer something more flexible. Has anyone done this?

cruz610 said:
PerformancePC offers a mod where they will sleeve your SATA cable. This would be great for me as I hate having the really stiff plastic and would prefer something more flexible. Has anyone done this?
wouldnt this jsut be sleeving ONTOP of the 'really stiff cable'
imho a stiff cable is better because it stays the way you want it to be

I checked out FrozenCPU and they actually sleeve the cable, its not just sleeving over the top of the cable...ahh well, already ordered three

cruz610 said:
WTF are these other posts about?

Over at Genmay, users identify each other by their User ID number. Lower numbers are better since it means you have been posting longer. It's basically another form of noob bashing. I'm a 17k over there since I had to find something to do while the [H] was down for the upgrade for a month.

If you scroll your mouse pointer over the name of a user, at the bottom left of your browser it should say something like www.hardforum.com/member.php?u=55944. That is your UID.

Pyro and Rage, I was just fucking with that guy. I wasn't being serious nor do I think he was.

Back on topic, I managed to sleeve my SATA cable with 3/8" sleeving. I, however, did not remove the original plastic shield on the cable. The cable is still fairly stiff, but at least it looks nice.

Sobek said:
Over at Genmay, users identify each other by their User ID number. Lower numbers are better since it means you have been posting longer. It's basically another form of noob bashing. I'm a 17k over there since I had to find something to do while the [H] was down for the upgrade for a month.

If you scroll your mouse pointer over the name of a user, at the bottom left of your browser it should say something like www.hardforum.com/member.php?u=55944. That is your UID.

Pyro and Rage, I was just fucking with that guy. I wasn't being serious nor do I think he was.
Yes I understand what UIDs are, I just didn't see that that was what they were referencing. Stupid genmayers :-P bringing mayhem into case modding :rolleyes: ;) anyways...back on topic...ordered my cables from FrozenCPU so I will check out how they do it and post back for anyone else who is interested.

For ships and giggles I disected a SATA cable. Hell of alot of sheilding in this thing. Wires are still really stiff even as single wires. I'm going to finish stripping it down then i'll sleeve it up. should be no bigger than a usb wire when it's done.

DSC01399 (Medium).JPG

Now I won't plug this one in since I don't have any junk SATA drives. I really think it will cause a bunch of problems since I pulled off all the sheilding except for the "ground" looking wires. This is rounded in the tradtional manner. Using 1/8" sleeving and 1/2" heatshrink which both work perfectly. I had to shrink around the connector since it won't shrink enough to make a hold on the wire.

DSC01401 (Medium).JPG

Here's a MSI orange SATA cable sleeved up using the same stuff as before. This looks pretty spiffy with the blue and orange. I'll have to use some UV blue on these for my kids case.

DSC01402 (Medium).JPG

Great stuff there Impact9. Quick question for you; is the shielding what makes the wires so damn stiff or is that the outer plastic?

cruz610 said:
Great stuff there Impact9. Quick question for you; is the shielding what makes the wires so damn stiff or is that the outer plastic?

Neither really. The indiviual wires are pretty stiff, almost like the single strand wires exposed. Removing the plastic didn't really add any flexibility along the wider side. The side to side movement was noticeable better. I think if the manufactures stacked the wires it would be more user friendly since you would have a truely round cable.

I'll do up another cable tomorrow and try running some test over the weekend on my second pc. So I'll attempt to compare a stripped/twisted, stacked, and normal cables. I'm hoping someone has already tried this to save me the trouble.

Impact9 said:
For ships and giggles I disected a SATA cable. Hell of alot of sheilding in this thing. Wires are still really stiff even as single wires. I'm going to finish stripping it down then i'll sleeve it up. should be no bigger than a usb wire when it's done.

http://impact9.org/images/DSC01399 (Medium).JPG

Now I won't plug this one in since I don't have any junk SATA drives. I really think it will cause a bunch of problems since I pulled off all the sheilding except for the "ground" looking wires. This is rounded in the tradtional manner. Using 1/8" sleeving and 1/2" heatshrink which both work perfectly. I had to shrink around the connector since it won't shrink enough to make a hold on the wire.

http://impact9.org/images/DSC01401 (Medium).JPG

you know SATA is shielded for a reason ;)

im glad you dont plan on using that cable as personally, i would not :p

yea I was kinda surpised to see that much sheilding in there. After a bit of forum surfing i'm going to strip another cable and leave it sheilded and twist it round. Unless the SATA leaks like a old water hose there shouldn't be much crosstalk to mess up the data. Would be interesting to know if the engineers designed it this way for a sort of "radiated" sheild.

I decided to sleeve one real quick over the plastic and it turned out ok. But yeah...it's the wires that make the cable pretty stiff, which there's pretty much no way around it. I perfer stiff cables anyways that way you can just bend them the way you want and they'll stay put without using any tacky clamps to hold them in place.

sata.jpg

Sobek said:
sounded like u both were

o wells, as long as you say you're not, then all is good

Impact9 said:

DSC01399 (Medium).JPG

Would you mind if I use that for the SATA Cautions thread?
Id host it seperately and credit it

not all SATA cables are sheilded

Qtip42 said:
Hey asshat, this isn't genmay. We dont dick around here, we ask/answer questions. Go fuck around elsewhere.
wow, 1k....

i wonder who has 1..., lol

Got my cables from FrozenCPU and was dismayed to find that they too sleeved over the plastic. Ah well, it looks very nice, black with red peeking through. Im happy as pie...great stuff to eyedol and impact9

Qtip42 said:
Hey asshat, this isn't genmay. We dont dick around here, we ask/answer questions. Go fuck around elsewhere.

hmmm...I missed that the first time
how bold to Flame someone after an Admins post
and your right this isnt genmay, and that crosses the line

^^ pwned.

hehe sorry I couldn't help it.

those cables look awesome, but I wonder why IDEs don't need shielding too... I better not have these sorts of thoughts at 6 am too often...

Munka said:
^^ pwned.

hehe sorry I couldn't help it.

those cables look awesome, but I wonder why IDEs don't need shielding too... I better not have these sorts of thoughts at 6 am too often...
i think some rounded IDE cables may have shielding... i may be totally wrong but i just thought of it and it seems possible, lol

someone correct me on this please, thanks

Ice Czar said:
Would you mind if I use that for the SATA Cautions thread?
Id host it seperately and credit it

not all SATA cables are sheilded

Go ahead and use the pic. I don't mind long as you find a host. Picture wont be there forever.

After reading your post on SATA cables. I guess it would be wise to strip the outer plastic off to verify that it is a sheilded cable. Once stripped you could proceed to sleeve it up in your umber cool color of choice. ;)

Thanx, Ive saved it and likely [H]ardOCP will be hosting assorted permenant FAQ images
that arent hosted by the mods themselves

that caution was written by Hale Landis very early in the SATA rollout
and likely most of those issues have been addressed, but bending, routing ect are obviously still partially applicable

just means its has the same sort of potential problems that PATA has
and SCSI for that matter, ever wonder why some external SCSI cables run in the the low $500? :p

Luckily with just a few data wires SATA is easier to properly sheild and cheaper to make :D

So a person could in fact take a stripped cable, with the sheilding, then twist the bejesus out of it to make it round and it shouldn't effect it. The cable gets a smaller width when twisted. I don't have the resources to run test on a cable done that way. IMO it could provide modders with a even cleaner appearance when cables can't be hidden.

oh btw 10452 here ;)

Back