How do you eliminate the constant asking to run crap on Vista?

jordan12

[H]F Junkie
It seems that regardless of what I wish to run, it comes up and asks me if I want to run it..

Even if it is like the device manager.

Can you get it to quit asking?

1) Click the Start button

2) Type "gpedit.msc" and press enter

3) In the left tree hierarchy, navigate to Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options

4) Near the bottom, find "User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin Approval Mode"

5) Double click on this and change it to "Elevate without prompting"

You can also go to Control Panel, User Accounts, and turn it on or off there.

At first I was ready to pounce all over rolo for his suggestion because...

gpedit.msc isn't a workable option in Home or Home Premium. It's in Business, Ultimate, and Enterprise only. But, since he is correct in what he said (now that I fired up an image of Ultimate to test it out), it's actually the best way I can see to eliminate the need to get the "Ok, you need to be an Admin to do this, click here" crap that we're all getting pretty sick of seeing and...

It doesn't require you to disable UAC totally. That's the beauty of this tip: UAC is still fully functional but almost all of the "Needs Admin rights" popups no longer appear.

Disabling UAC totally is a bad bad bad idea. If you're going to run Vista and simply turn UAC off, you might as well keep running XP. YMMV, however.

So, to rolo, I apologize for almost jumping on your shit before doing the necessary research, and I thank you for bringing this valuable tip to my attention - and many others as well.

:D

Not to threadjack, but is there a way to disable UAC for one particular app/script? I have a logon script that runs (batch file) on my domain at work, and it gets annoying having to allow it each and every time.

While I'm not a certified expert on this, I distinctly remember that not being a possibility based on how UAC is designed to work. I mention this because one of those "Power Together" webcasts that I chose to get Vista Business for free was - tada - the one specifically about UAC and how it works.

And when I just read that question, I remembered that instance where one person participating in the webcast asked that question, almost word for word about disabling UAC behavior for specific apps or tasks, and the Microsoft person responsible for the webcast content flat out said "No, it's not possible. You can set policies and create groups that have specific levels of priviledge using GPO/GPE (like the example rolo provided in this thread, actually), but such control based on scripts" and the reviewer even said batch files - "will not work."

I'll try to get that webcast again and watch it for the relevant part and any information to see if there was any form of follow up.

But then again... I could be wrong... :)

www.powertogether.com <<<--- Go here, click Watch, on the Develop for Windows Vista tab, second link from the top, "How To: Use Vista's UAC Feature To Avoid Always Requiring Admin Rights" might be exactly what you're looking for, djnes...

Interesting stuff, regardless... and perhaps that original webcast just didn't want to get into it because another webcast was in production, who knows.

Hope this helps...

also not meaning to threadhijack... this is giving me problems too... on mIRC files that get dcc to me will not save unless i run mIRC as admin... there has to be a fix to that? other then always running as admin

Change the location the files are being saved to, or... move the mIRC directory to someplace else. That should be just one solution to those issues. I keep my mIRC/ircN directory outside of Program Files because if it's in there, under Vista, it just creates a ton of hassles I simply don't need.

Hope this helps...

rolo said:
1) Click the Start button

2) Type "gpedit.msc" and press enter

3) In the left tree hierarchy, navigate to Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options

4) Near the bottom, find "User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin Approval Mode"

5) Double click on this and change it to "Elevate without prompting"

6) When your system is invaded by virii and other malware, have a tantrum and curse Microsoft for "not making an OS as secure as Apple"

Disabling the security features is a *bad* idea. I realize it's a little annoying. Ask yourself what's MORE annoying: having to wipe your machine and start from scratch due to malware, or occasionally having to click a prompt when some unknown software decides to run?

DragonMasterAlex said:
6) When your system is invaded by virii and other malware, have a tantrum and curse Microsoft for "not making an OS as secure as Apple"

Sorry, but the reason OSX is "secure" is not because of Apple, not at all. It's "secure" because it's built on other people's work, namely BSD, because Apple could not have created a full blown ready to roll OS fast enough when Motorola said "Sorry, you're gonna have to get your CPUs from somebody else..."

I've been using Windows operating systems since 1.0; the only time I've ever had a virus was 4 years ago using Symantec AV which is crap, always has been crap, always will be crap - and their retail product, Norton AV, is even worse. I don't get spyware, or adware, or "malware" as the case is.

You can't blame Microsoft for all the screwballs and no-life lamers that have nothing better to do with their time than attack possible security issues in Windows. If no one went looking for them, and no one found them and decided "Hey, I can exploit this and stick it to The Man," does that mean it's any less secure?

Just because those same screwballs and no-life lamers haven't decided to focus their efforts on OSX or Linux yet doesn't mean at some point they won't. Heaven help OSX and Linux if they do, because the possibilities for exploits surely exist just like they do in Windows... if you're so inclined.

DragonMasterAlex said:

Disabling the security features is a *bad* idea. I realize it's a little annoying. Ask yourself what's MORE annoying: having to wipe your machine and start from scratch due to malware, or occasionally having to click a prompt when some unknown software decides to run?
The guy asked, and I gave him the #2 best option, which is to keep UAC enabled but have the dialogs not appear and auto-allow. Everything still runs as non-admin by default. #1 best option is leaving it on of course. Worst option is disabling it completely and having everything run as admin.

gpedit.msc isn't in Home? Hmm, I didn't know that. I'll have to look into that. I'm sure there's a .reg file someone could cook up to do the exact same thing, I doubt the gpedit control panel does much more than that.

Back