How do you guys pack/ship parts?

Patrick Bateman

Limp Gawd
Ok so I want to sell some of the stuff in my sig but am unsure how to ship some of the parts. I don't have the boxes for any anymore.

For the motherboard, would putting it in an antistatic bag, wrapping it in bubble wrap, and placing it in a box of packing peanuts be sufficient?

I'm guessing that a heatsink and fan can simply be placed in a box of packing peanuts. What about the PSU and CPU?

Just making sure that the parts can't shift around in the package eliminates most of the risks during shipping. Any damaged goods I've received were because something was able to move freely in its package (aside from one package flattened by FedEx, that is).

Antistatic bags and peanuts are a good start, separate boxes inside a larger package are also a good idea. I might consider shipping the CPU still in the socket on the mobo, if I couldn't find a more appropriate package.

Every electronic component should have some kind of ESD protection at a minimum. If you don't have bags, locally owned computer stores are usually good places to go. If your CPU's have pins you need to take precautions to make sure they won't be bent if it gets shifted around in the box.

There are lots of good threads dealing with this type of thing already. Try a few searches if you're looking for specific part advice.

Last edited:
Put any circuit boards in their respective antistatic bags - always. Beyond that, just add packing peanuts. Same goes for hard drives, but make sure they're packed in packaging acceptable to the buyer. Some are fine with bubblewrap+peanuts, others want only manufacturer-approved HDD packaging. Package CPUs the same way they came to you from where you originally bought them, with proper protection for pins, etc.

Also, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS get delivery confirmation or some form of tracking, or your mail has from my experience an over 50% chance of ending up late by about 2 weeks, and causing a buyer to post a thread with your name on it in this forum, and everyone lots of stress. PayPal offers you free delivery confirmation if you ship through them.

I really try to always keep my original retail packaging, so pack motherboard or graphics card or whatever in the original box, pack that in a bigger box with lots of peanuts and send it priority mail with delivery confirmation. If no original packaging, anti static bags and peanuts.

I really try to always keep my original retail packaging, so pack motherboard or graphics card or whatever in the original box, pack that in a bigger box with lots of peanuts and send it priority mail with delivery confirmation. If no original packaging, anti static bags and peanuts.

make sure to add a few bricks also so that little bugger doesn't slide all over the place, sure the added weight will make it cost more to ship, but you just can't be too careful these days, slamming into cardboard is hell on delicate computer parts...

most people here wont mind peanuts and newspaper, just remember to "over" pack the box, just enough so that the flaps close tightly and if you shake it, nothing moves. like was said a million times, anti static is your friend. Just think, how would you want it to come to you in? I'm paranoid, everything I do is anti static>water tight bag>paper>peanuts>air bags>box> every seal and edge is taped.

make sure to add a few bricks also so that little bugger doesn't slide all over the place, sure the added weight will make it cost more to ship, but you just can't be too careful these days, slamming into cardboard is hell on delicate computer parts...

real bricks? lol. i do not recommend ;)

now some foam bricks that would work :)

real bricks? lol. i do not recommend ;)

now some foam bricks that would work :)

of course real bricks, one on each side and a bigger, heavier one on top, then put all that in a static bag and you're good to go, no need for peanuts, that puppy ain't movin' nowhere anytime soon, no matter how many times it gets tossed around during shipping...

;)

I just shipped a CPU in its own clamshell and that was inside a 6.25" x 6.25" x 6.25" box that was so filled with bubble wrap I could barely tape the thing shut @_@

I once got a video card in a box that had me going "Did I order a PC case? wtf?" opened it up and there was an HD 4870 in it with like 6" of space on each side that was filled with peanuts, newspaper and bubble wrap.

bubble wrap the part, put in box with peanuts. I pack so tight that when u shake the box, nothing moves inside. I pack better than anything I have recieved from anyone/place

bubble wrap the part, put in box with peanuts. I pack so tight that when u shake the box, nothing moves inside. I pack better than anything I have recieved from anyone/place

Lies, I pack better than you! :p hehe

No seriously, RyDawg said it the simplest... make sure things don't move inside, and, as already mentioned, use Anti-Static bags for everything that originally came in one (brand new).

Lies, I pack better than you! :p hehe

No seriously, RyDawg said it the simplest... make sure things don't move inside, and, as already mentioned, use Anti-Static bags for everything that originally came in one (brand new).

my wife (in 2 days!) gets annoyed I keep all my boxes. She just doesn't understand! I did throw away a good amount of GPU/CPU and such boxes a month ago to free up some garage space, though I dont think i will ever toss all my Case boxes. It's hard enough shipping a case, without the box it's super annoying

my wife (in 2 days!) gets annoyed I keep all my boxes. She just doesn't understand! I did throw away a good amount of GPU/CPU and such boxes a month ago to free up some garage space, though I dont think i will ever toss all my Case boxes. It's hard enough shipping a case, without the box it's super annoying

LOL, I have a storage full of empty boxes. :eek: I need to empty it out before the end of the year, since I don't think I can afford the rent much longer. :( I'd move them to my garage, but my garage is already full of crap, and I need to empty that out, too, so I can park my damn car in there! lol.

For motherboards, I just put it in an ESD bag, and then wrap that bag with bubble wrap, or packing foam. Then in the box, its surrounded by peanuts. Same with hard drives, DVD drives, and video cards.

RAM, I just put it in a RAM case, which gets wrapped in foam, and then put in a box with peanuts (but that box goes in the shipping box). Same with CPU's

Back