• Windows control only...

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Speaker control only...

Votes: 58 53.2%
  • A combo of both...

Votes: 48 44.0%

• Total voters
jamezzz122 said:
I was just wondering. I usually leave my Windows volume control maxxed and then use the control on my speaker as the main control. What aobut you guys?
same method for me too.

I find that there tend to be two windows volume controls on my box-- one for an overall level, and one for the wave output... I'm not sure if it's all software, or if there's an actual hardware volume control on the soundcard...

Anyhow, I try to keep the volume in WIndows as high as I can without clipping, to get the best SNR out of the dang thing... I gotta laugh when I read creative's specs, talking about 100+ dB signal to noise ratios.... Ya gotta wonder how they measure that, 'cuz I hear every movement of my mouse and every drive access when I turn the volume up.....

I would have to say I end up using just the sound card volume control.

I have a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX sound card which I use with my older model Realistic receiver which is paired up to a pair of Quest 6" 2-way bookshelf speakers (sounds quite nice, but I can't use it like I used to in my parent's house since i'm in an appartment now).

I also use the Audigy 2 NX with my Sennheiser HD 570 headphones and it sounds great.

I love to use the remote with this sound card when i'm in the kitchen and I want to adjust the volume without going over to my computer. Also I tend to use the volume controls provided on my keyboard. When I am in a game I like to use the knob on the Audigy 2 NX it's self to prevent lagging caused by the Logitech I-touch onscreen display). Never used to be a problem in games like SOF2 but Doom3 hates it!

By the way as a testimate to the clipping... If you don't mess with Bass controls etc. then it can get close close to 100% I find. If you turn on the dumb CMSS it gets nasty really quickly, I don't know why they bothered with that feature at all.

So on an Audigy 2 ZS, would you consider both the main volume control and the WAVE volume control as one, and set them both to 50%~80%? Or can they be treated separately?

Back