How do you say id?

kuyaglen

[H]F Junkie
Do you say "eye dee" or "id" like the ending to the word "stupid"?

I've always said "eye dee" but just now (after looking at the quakecon.org website) I was
reminded that it stands for id from Freud's classification of the human psyche (sp?)...so
now I'm gonna have to remember to pronounce it as "id".

I always say eye-dee, but the official pronunciation is apparently how it looks.

Yeah, id as in "stupid"

The name is probably taken from Freud's theory of the three parts the self: the ego, superego, and the id.

The id is the part of the human subconscious that drives primitive urges like aggression, kind of like what happens when you're fragging people in Quake 3. ;)

BillLeeLee said:
Yeah, id as in "stupid"

The name is probably taken from Freud's theory of the three parts the self: the ego, superego, and the id.

The id is the part of the human subconscious that drives primitive urges like aggression, kind of like what happens when you're fragging people in Quake 3. ;)

I never knew why I wanted to kill people after playing Quake until now...

BillLeeLee said:
Yeah, id as in "stupid"

ID is the short form of "In Design," the Freud thing was just cool.

While we're on the subject of the pronunciations, how do you pronounce Deus-Ex? I heard it was supposed to be like "Dussicks," but i've always heard it as Deuce-ecks.

Deus Ex is Latin .. Deus meaning God and Ex meaning From .. so I'm guessing it's supposed to mean "From God"

if you saw Matrix 3 .. the machine face at the end that Neo plugs into was named Deus Ex Machina .. meaning .. God of the Machine

BillLeeLee said:
Yeah, id as in "stupid"

And my parents told me computers would get me nowhere ;)

Look what I learned today!!!!

NightWolfe said:
Deus Ex is Latin .. Deus meaning God and Ex meaning From .. so I'm guessing it's supposed to mean "From God"

if you saw Matrix 3 .. the machine face at the end that Neo plugs into was named Deus Ex Machina .. meaning .. God of the Machine
More specifically Deus Ex Machina comes from the ancient theater where set builders would make elaborate devices for special effects. Whenever a god would intervene, it would often be accompanied by effects and a flashy entrance thanks to the machines. The gods were used to resolve seemingly unsolvable plots. Therefore, whenever a solution comes out of nowhere it's an act of Deus Ex Machina, or a "god from the machine."

:D @ oqvist.

If you say Deus Ex (day-oos ecks) fast, sounds a lot like "Day of Sex" doesn't it?

And this thread is getting way too edumacational. ;)

kuyaglen said:
Do you say "eye dee" or "id" like the ending to the word "stupid"?

I've always said "eye dee" but just now (after looking at the quakecon.org website) I was
reminded that it stands for id from Freud's classification of the human psyche (sp?)...so
now I'm gonna have to remember to pronounce it as "id".

def say id as in lid...id is part of the psyche....

The pronunciation is a problem in English. Traditional ways of saying Latin would have it something like DEE-us ex, more modern ways of saying Latin would give perhaps DAY-oos ex.

I speak fluent Italian so I go with DAY-oos ex, as do many of the developers who worked on the game.

That Freud stuff is pretty interesting. I'm reading about his personality theory right now, with the concious, subconcious, and preconcious along with the id, superego, and ego. Cool stuff.

I can't believe what I am reading. "id" is pronounced "eye dee" . It is short for identification, and has nothing to do with Frued or Jung.

Holy Christ

hiteak86 said:
I can't believe what I am reading. "id" is pronounced "eye dee" . It is short for identification, and has nothing to do with Frued or Jung.

Holy Christ

wrong, ID is the short form for "In Design"

Its Eye Dee...

Haven't you noobs ever heard John Carmack in a video interview pronounce it?

Big Worm said:
Its Eye Dee...

actually, when watching my dev. interviews on the doom3 preview cd that came with my doom collectors edition, i think i remember people pronouncing it both ways... hmm, i might go back and watch them again...

Big Worm said:
Its Eye Dee...

Shoot, I knew that going outside and stuff was making me miss important things!!!

I've seen carmack say "id" and I've seen carmack say "eye dee". Who the fuck cares, we all type it more than say it anyway :p

Hmmm

I need to find my old Wolfenstein 3D Readme.

Last I remember, it was "id" (not eye dee), and in direct correlation with the Id, Ego, and SuperEgo.

id Software said:
id - Freud's primal part of the human psyche and one of the hottest game shops on Earth - has been rocking the gaming world from Mesquite, Texas since 1991. As a renowned leader in the industry, id Software forged such frenetic titles as Wolfenstein 3D, DOOM, DOOM II, QUAKE and QUAKE II. With intense graphics and mind-blowing action, id's games have helped redefine the modern video game, continually setting industry standards for technology and gameplay. And, in keeping with tradition, id Software has amplified the world of adrenaline pumping 3-D gaming with the release of their latest action titles, QUAKE III Arena, QUAKE III: Team Arena, and Return to Castle Wolfenstein. id's advanced QUAKE III Arena engine is leading the next revolution in 3-D interactive games with both single and multiplayer technology.

You are the slowest group of guys (and gals) that I have ever seen. If a cop pulls you over , he asks for your identification, which would be long for id.

Wow

just wow
:confused: :confused:

hiteak86 said:
You are the slowest group of guys (and gals) that I have ever seen. If a cop pulls you over , he asks for your identification, which would be long for id.

Wow

just wow

I would say wow too. But to you.

We're not talking about identification id, we're talking about a game company "id".

hiteak86 said:

Wow

just wow

You're kind of retarded, aren't you?

Argh. Let me put this to rest. I've worked with John Romero, Tom Hall, Jim Dose and Sandy Peterson. They all pronounce it "id" as in Freud. Everyone in Dallas calls them "id". When I visit their office, they all say "id".

Jay Wilbur had in his finger file: `id: the one of the three divisions of the psyche in psychoanalytic theory that is completely unconscious and is the source of psychic energy derived from instinctual needs and drives.' -Jay Wilbur

For those of you who still doubt, Jay also said around six years ago `It is pronounced "id" as in "DID" without the leading "D". It is not EYE DEE. id has everything to do with Freudian theory.'

Back