How does this receiver/bookshelf setup look?

Raxxath

Limp Gawd
My M-Audio AV40s are apparently dying, and I've been looking for a replacement. I want to go the bookshelf speakers and receiver route because that would allow me to get rid of my soundcards and would hopefully end the low buzzing noise I always get from powered speakers. Today I got an email from newegg with a bunch of Pioneer audio equipment deals, namely these:

Speakers

Receiver

Subwoofer

1. Would any of these be better replaced by something else for a similar price? Are these much better than the Pioneers?

2. Do I even need a sub? I feel like I get enough bass out of my AV40s, would I get much less from bookshelves?

3. Is this too much power for a small room?

You will need the sub, But don't worry you can adjust the gain to your level of comfort, I noticed your sub doesn't have a lfe input nor do many subs on newegg. I am unaware of how it will connect to your receiver.

You will need the sub, But don't worry you can adjust the gain to your level of comfort, I noticed your sub doesn't have a lfe input nor do many subs on newegg. I am unaware of how it will connect to your receiver.

Sub out. RCA Y splitter.

Run MCACC with the sub gain at around 10 oclock.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Sure, it can be wired differently and work fine,
(work better)
wiring in parallel on high level inputs is the way that REL reccomends for 2ch setups and they are one of the best subwoofer makers out there.
unless its getting the discrete LFE signal from a multichannel source, or your using a really nice bass management device, this is the preferred audiophile way...

but he is also looking to shed his soundcard, so a receiver will provide him a quality DAC as well.

Dacs better than the pioneer cost like $30-40.
example:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000J0IIEQ

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It would be hard to beat those prices with the current deals that are going on right now.

Those Pioneer bookshelves are pretty good from what I've heard, and that receiver would do the job fine if you're wanting to add a center channel and a couple more bookshelves down the line for 5.1 sound.

The sub on the other hand might not be enough for you but at that price you can just grab a second one. :p

There are the Dayton 10-12" subs that are around $80-120, I've seen them mentioned a lot for budget systems. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-635

Thanks for the replies everyone. I should mention that I'm going to be hooking up at least two computers to this right away, and probably some consoles at some point, so a receiver makes more sense to me than a standalone DAC or whatever.

I read that the fact the speakers are rated at 6 Ohms could cause some problems with some receivers... Is there anything to this?

edit: Oh, and this setup should be a decent upgrade over the AV40s, right?

Thanks for the replies everyone. I should mention that I'm going to be hooking up at least two computers to this right away, and probably some consoles at some point, so a receiver makes more sense to me than a standalone DAC or whatever.

I read that the fact the speakers are rated at 6 Ohms could cause some problems with some receivers... Is there anything to this?

edit: Oh, and this setup should be a decent upgrade over the AV40s, right?

6ohms is fine.

That receiver should have no problems with running 6ohm speakers.
I'd advise you to google around and do some reading yourself on amplifiers, speakers and their ratings as we could be here all night. :p

Well, I ordered the receiver, sub, and speakers for $310.

I'll need speaker wire, optical cables, and the RCA Y-cable... Is there anything else?

I'm not seeing a male to male RCA Y-cable at Monoprice.

you dont need a Y splitter if your using 2ch sound and have 2ch pre outs for the on your reciever which you do. in this case you would only need 2 RCA cables.

in addition, your reciever has an LFE pre out. just connect the LFE on the reciever to the Left channel on the sub.

most people use Y splitters in the reverse method, where there is ONLY an LFE but your reciever doesnt have an LFE, it only has L/R.

and i highly reccomend connecting the sub like this:
http://i.imgur.com/Z8FMJ.png

you need optical cable, speaker cable, and 1 RCA cable for the subwoofer should you choose to wire it that way.

Last edited:
in addition, your reciever has an LFE pre out.

but your reciever doesnt have an LFE, it only has L/R.

This confuses me. :( And the Pioneer sub doesn't have the "Hi level out," so I don't know how to wire it like in your picture.

I'll just go with the RCA cable from the receiver to the left RCA on the sub like you said, as long as there's nothing wrong with that.

that should say, "but THEIR reciever" to be more clear. i was giving an example of someone who might use the Y cable in reverse.

if it doesnt have a high level output, just wire it in parallel on the back of the reciever, but yeah, you can just go from the LFE out on the reciever to the left channel on the Sub,

Back