How fast do parts wear down when overclocked?

Chowder Head

Limp Gawd
I was reading one of the stickies and it mentioned this.

"Overclocking wares down the hardware and the life-expectancy of the entire computer will be lowered if you overclock."

Ny question, is how reduced is the life expectancy? My first build that I'm slowly piecing together will hopefully be overclocked for better performance but I'm worried how much wear and tear it will cause.

Any opinions on life expectancy of certain parts when overclocked?

Thanks guys! :)

Well, from what I've read, CPUs are built to last a good 10 years or so at stock speeds (or at least, modern ones are). Overclocking, as I have also read, would probably halve that at most. Considering most processors get replaced within 5-year periods anyway, it's probably not a big deal. I assume, however, without proper cooling the life expentancy would decrease even more than that, so make sure if you are overclocking you keep the processor at reasonable temperatures in doing so.

I'm no expert on overclocking, so that's the best answer I can give. Others here will be more knowledgable than me on the wear and tear of other components besides the CPU.

Same goes with all other parts, except their life expectancy is a lot shorter than 10 years (except for RAM) like GFX and mobo. You just have to make sure you have good cooling if you're doing a little overclock, better cooling if a more intenst OC, and [H]ardcore cooling if you're doing a [H]ardcore OC. The Apex kit from Swiftech is one of the best kits out there for WC, next to custom kits. Anymore than that would be extreme cooling like dry ice, thermoelectric, refridgerant, etc.. As for air, the XP-120 is really good but if it cant fit in your case or on your board, the XP-90 will. As far as your GFX is concerned, it all depends on your card. I dontk now much about ATI's card, but if you have anything higher than a 6800GT, (like an ultra, or GeForce 7 series), Id recommend a better HSF like the Zalman, AC NV Silenencer, or the stasis thermal icestorm. EVGA allows 3rd party coolers (as of right now, no other manuf. allows that) so a card from them would be nice. DFI is well known for OCing, but Asus is known for stability. I had an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, but couldnt get a nice OC. I went with the DFI board, and im getting my 146 up to 2.8 stable (right now..its still climbing). Just make sure overall, you have nice cooling, either good air or water (or extreme if you know what your doing).

Even with OC'ing modestly you'll see many other parts break or die on you way before the CPU will. But yes it does lower the lifetime of the CPU.

Put it this way, you'll get sick of your system before parts die (IF YOU OVERCLOCK WISELY; I.E. Don't Be an Idiot). Don't worry about it too much, if you take the proper precautions you'll be okay.

It lowers the life expectancy, but aslong as you can keep the chip at healthy temperatures and don't have it clocked too, too high, than you'll be fine. By the time its ready to die you should have a new one.

I dunno but my celleron 300a is still running at 464 mhz! it has to be going on 10 years old.

Sill rock solid at those speeds and I leave it on 24-7, however I'm getting worried my MB etc will die first, and It's not worth replacing that junk...

Alternatively, you may want to consider going against the grain, and underclocking.
Take a flagship processor, cut the clock speed in half, and you've got yourself a subpar processor for 20 years.

OC results in increased heat and stress to electronic components. So if you OC don't get upset if you let the magic smoke out of your components. Sometimes you just get a shitty CPU and you smoke it with a mild OC.

Rule # 1: Never pay more for CPU's than you can afford not to lose.

Rule # 2: When tempted to buy the super CPU that you can barely afford see Rule # 1.

Rule # 3: When you ignore Rule # 1 & 2 then don't cry about spilled milk. ;)

Back