How good is it to hook up headphone to PIONEER VSX- 9500S

HaxEJxuK

Gawd
So, I just got to get some interest in better sound for my PC. So far I've bought JVC HA-RX700 and also thinking about HA-RX900. My main plan is to do gaming in Vista and others and heard best think to do for that is to skip sound card and just hook up ZERO or Fiio. I thought about getting it but wasn't sure if I should or not then it hit me. My father bought PIONEER VSX- 9500S I think back around 1990 for $1,000. total $ he spend back then was about $5,000 total. I think the receiver was still sold till late 90's Now, I think receiver and others are been collecting dust for long time. Is it even worth getting PIONEER VSX- 9500S and hook it up to headphone for better sound? or it's really old stuff that ZERO or even Fiio would out do it?:confused:

Just try it out. It will probably be far better than a Fiio. I loved my Pioneer Elite A-35r's HP output.

I would try the Pioneer and see what you think, some receivers have very good headphone output while others can be pretty bad. And just because the receiver is older doesn't mean it isn't good, sometimes they are much better than a lot of new stuff, I still use an Onkyo from 1979 for stereo music listening!

Old receivers FTW! I agree with previous post, older analog gear often sounds warmer and more musical than newer digital receivers. Many people do not use all the unnecessary features for simple music listening. Plus, "vintage" receivers do not inflate specs. I'm using a Pioneer SX-850 circa 1978 that I could not be happier with. Such a full-bodied articulated sound :cool:

hmmm I might stop by my father's house tonight. might just take that home. That thing if I remember correctly is like 20 times bigger than ZERO lol I wonder how thing going to work out if they work out x-fi and Vista. If they do, could I hook up x-fi->receiver->Headphone? or would I loose positional sound by hooking up receiver/sound card is good ehough and not worth hooking it up to receiver?

Absolutely hook up that PIONEER VSX- 9500S if your father is willing to let you take it :D You simply run a mini-stereo to 2 male RCA patch cable (very common and cheap) from your X-Fi to the auxillary input of receiver. From the receiver, your music will sound WAY better if you choose to use headphones or speakers. That's the easy way. Or, if you wanted to use the Zero DAC, you run a digital spdif cable from X-Fi to the Zero DAC, then analog patch from DAC to receiver. That receiver is good quality, so I'm not sure it would be much of an improvement to run digital and have the extra component in your setup. To each his own, people will argue endlessly about digital vs. analog connection. My belief is a high-quality analog connection sounds warmer!

ha ha if he is willing? what's mine is mine and what's his is mine too lol :) Nah pretty much I can't take whatever if he's not using it. I can take even he is using it but that's different story. Guess I'll just pick it up and see how it turns out. I also gotta check what kind of connections it has. I just remember it having so many connections. lot more than most people needs. At least at that time lol.

Back