How good is the PS3's web browser?

Headbust

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi guys, Im in a HUGE debate with myself what to get for a blu-ray player and the PS3 does everything i want but the lack of IR is killing it for me, I know i can use a usb adapter for IR for my harmony but thats besides the point.

So my other question is...

How is the web browsing on this thing? If i do get the PS3 I will get the BT keyboard and mouse if they have one, if i do this how much does it resemble a regular PC work station and how easy would it be for me to go to all my sites and such.

The Sony browser is horrible, do not let anyone else convince you otherwise. However if you really want to surf on the PS3, just put Linux on it. Once you do that, then it is a regular PC, and you can do whatever you want with it.

And yeah it has no IR, though I do not see why that would be a good sticking point for you since you know you can get around it, or just get a PS3 remote. Heck, you can even use a PS3 controller, since obviously you are going to have one of those. Once I used the Bluetooth remote, I wished the other remotes were all all that responsive.

works fine for me.

allows me to check my gmail and such between cod4 matches without having to go into the other room.

The Sony browser is horrible, do not let anyone else convince you otherwise. However if you really want to surf on the PS3, just put Linux on it. Once you do that, then it is a regular PC, and you can do whatever you want with it.

And yeah it has no IR, though I do not see why that would be a good sticking point for you since you know you can get around it, or just get a PS3 remote. Heck, you can even use a PS3 controller, since obviously you are going to have one of those. Once I used the Bluetooth remote, I wished the other remotes were all all that responsive.

I wouldnt call it horrible. But it is what it is, a browser on a console. I use a logitech mx3200 laser keyboard/mouse setup on my PS3 and i browse just fine when i need to. Checking email, ordering off amazon, youtube, etc.

Sometimes it is slow to respond when going back a page and stuff of that nature,but overall its definitely passable.

looks crispy on a big TV too.

its no firefox or even IE. but its usable... youtube..checking ur hotmail, gmail. cnn.. Its the BEST console browser. that's not saying much heheheh

its no firefox or even IE. but its usable... youtube..checking ur hotmail, gmail. cnn.. Its the BEST console browser. that's not saying much heheheh

i'll agree with this, but i've never used another browser console

It's pretty bad. While it works and you can go places, some stuff doesn't work/show properly. Also, I just can't stand browsing one browser at a time anymore. I'm running two explorer windows side by side right now and that's just taking a step too far back. The best thing about the PS3 browser is that it works. If you gotta check your mail or a few websites and don't feel like going over to your computer, then you can do so; just finished watching a movie, TV or gaming? Turn on/switch to PS3 and there you go.

I wouldnt call it horrible. But it is what it is, a browser on a console. I use a logitech mx3200 laser keyboard/mouse setup on my PS3 and i browse just fine when i need to. Checking email, ordering off amazon, youtube, etc.

Sorry, however a lot of the sites I normally check completely fail on it. Its great that they have the browsers working with a few of the more common sites, however when not limiting myself to Top 100 sites, my luck has been abyssmal. And for the purposes of web surfing, if you can not bring up sites you want, this makes the browser horrible.

Back