How high do you think my w/c'ing setup will take a q6600?

Dutt1113

[H]ard|Gawd
Can my watercooling setup handle a q6600 and how high do you think it can take it?

D-tek Fuzion cpu block
MCP655 pump
swiftech mcr220 rad
47cfm fans

Yes it will, how many blocks do you intend to add on? Keep in mind that the luck of the draw on chips is more decidedly the factor in OC than the type or size of your water cooling circuit.

What stepping? It largely depends on the CPU. I've gone from one E6400 to another with the same cooling and other parts, and the overclock dropped from [email protected] to [email protected]. Granted, that is an extreme case of one horrible core 2 duo vs a pretty good one, you can at least hit 3.0 before you hit your thermal limited. You will probably have the ability to go higher, or you might get stuck at 3.0ghz with high voltage and temperatures to match..

That should be fine for a cpu only loop but you may want to go with a 3x120 rad if you ever plan on adding any other blocks. As far as how high you can take the processor is hard to say. Depends on how well the particular chip you get scales... I hear the G0 stepping is the one to get with the q6600's.

There are folks claiming 3.5 with Quads under water, some extreme radiator configurations and the like, but I would think 3.0 to 3.2 isn't out of the question with the B3 steppings. Most likely a bit higher if you're lucky enough to get one of the new G0 stepping Quads so early.......:D

It really depends on the luck of the draw in addition to quality of your watercooling loop. 3.2Ghz is the average that I see for most watercooling rigs with a few guys pushing 3.6Ghz. There have been quite a few promising ES G0 quads have managed to almost break the 4Ghz barrier. However, we'll have to see if that applies to the retail chips and not just the ES chips.

Word is that the G0 stepping runs much cooler but is also much tighter on the binning.

There are folks claiming 3.5 with Quads under water, some extreme radiator configurations and the like, but I would think 3.0 to 3.2 isn't out of the question with the B3 steppings. Most likely a bit higher if you're lucky enough to get one of the new G0 stepping Quads so early.......:D

uhhh 3.8ghz has been hit with 1.65 vcore with a b3 stepping quad. kkthnx

That should be fine for a cpu only loop but you may want to go with a 3x120 rad if you ever plan on adding any other blocks. As far as how high you can take the processor is hard to say. Depends on how well the particular chip you get scales... I hear the G0 stepping is the one to get with the q6600's.

When you say 3x120 radiator, do you mean like a swiftech mcr320 or something of the black ice variety? What is the best triple radiator besides thermochill because I would have a hard time fitting a thermochill because they are so thick and would hit the capacitors on my evga 680i mobo?

also, as far the quad core steppings go, are there websites that tell what stepping the cpu's are whether you get a B3 or a G0?

with a triple radiator on a q6600, how many other blocks could you add and still have a good overclock on the processor with good to decent temps?

When you say 3x120 radiator, do you mean like a swiftech mcr320 or something of the black ice variety? What is the best triple radiator besides thermochill because I would have a hard time fitting a thermochill because they are so thick and would hit the capacitors on my evga 680i mobo?

If the thermochill won't work than a mcr320 would be the next best choice. Much better with lower speed fans than the BIP rad's...

with a triple radiator on a q6600, how many other blocks could you add and still have a good overclock on the processor with good to decent temps?

You can add your vid card to the loop and still have decent temps although I wouldn't add any other blocks at that point. However lets say you went SLI at some point and wanted to w/c both the cards then I would do a dual loop.

Back