How hot does your 9400 get?

MERKMAN

Limp Gawd
I created the thread, because not long after my 9400 has been running, the right side of the system gets pretty warm. Not the case so much, but the right side of the keyboard. I can literally feel the heat coming off the keys, and when I first touch them when I come back from somewhere else... well, they just aren't comfortable.

I bought the Antec Laptop cooler recently, hoping this might help with this issue, but unfortunately I don't think it's honestly changed anything. The all aluminium CoolerMaster widescreen laptop unit looks promising, but is HUGE and would require some serious deskspace to use, besides not being portable for trips.

Anyone else having issues with keyboard heat with this model? Done anything about it?

MERKMAN said:
I created the thread, because not long after my 9400 has been running, the right side of the system gets pretty warm. Not the case so much, but the right side of the keyboard. I can literally feel the heat coming off the keys, and when I first touch them when I come back from somewhere else... well, they just aren't comfortable.

I bought the Antec Laptop cooler recently, hoping this might help with this issue, but unfortunately I don't think it's honestly changed anything. The all aluminium CoolerMaster widescreen laptop unit looks promising, but is HUGE and would require some serious deskspace to use, besides not being portable for trips.

Anyone else having issues with keyboard heat with this model? Done anything about it?

My 9300 puts out a bit of heat. She's Folding@Home. While she's plugged in, I keep her upside down to allow more airflow and keep the heat off the screen.

MERKMAN said:

The keyboard should not have any heat. My 9400 uses the air vents to expel the heat, which makes the hottest part of the laptop the bottom. I don't have any heat at the keyboard. You should ensure none of the air vents are blocked.

yeah, what ludic said.

keep in mind that the hard drive & the video card are both located on the right side of the machine under the keyboard. If you're not using the laptop on a hard flat surface (so air can get under it, and into the intakes), it will warm up. I think the two vents on the top next to the keyboard are intakes as well, but they aren't nearly as large as the ones on the bottom. Dell must have plnned on peope using this on their laps and blocking those bottom intakes.

Back