How is the Computer Science major?

Back to the OP: Does your school have anything about an Information Systems degree, or Information Technology?

I went into college as a CS Major thinking that it'd be fun to "work with computers all day", and found out that CS has little to do with computers, other than the underlying code to run aps. I have a great number of friends who can do this, but it's not how I'm wired. CE is similar, but from the hardware side - you're designing systems, but still not working with the machines themselves.

My college offers an MIS degree: Management Information Systems (I've heard other colleges have CIT - Computer Information Technology). For us, it was part of the business college and I think it might be more your slant. Databases, Networking, Systems, Infrastructure, and Security were all technical classes we had to take and what I would expect IT to be. However, as it was a business major, we also got Project Management, Risk Analysis, Business Communication, Corporate Structures, Finance, and other business aspects that help me greatly from the Management side of IT. In my current position as an IT admin for a small company, I'm using all these things and I love my job!

The CS experience has given me insight to code, and I still use some of what I learned for scripting - but MIS is more my style.

Good Luck! Don't ever settle for something that you're unhappy with! :D IT is an extremely broad field with lots of different roles - if computers interest you, there's somewhere where you can fit.

Last edited:
Back to the OP: Does your school have anything about an Information Systems degree, or Information Technology?

I went into college as a CS Major thinking that it'd be fun to "work with computers all day", and found out that CS has little to do with computers, other than the underlying code to run aps. I have a great number of friends who can do this, but it's not how I'm wired. CE is similar, but from the hardware side - you're designing systems, but still not working with the machines themselves.

My college offers an MIS degree: Management Information Systems (I've heard other colleges have CIT - Computer Information Technology). For us, it was part of the business college and I think it might be more your slant. Databases, Networking, Systems, Infrastructure, and Security were all technical classes we had to take and what I would expect IT to be. However, as it was a business major, we also got Project Management, Risk Analysis, Business Communication, Corporate Structures, Finance, and other business aspects that help me greatly from the Management side of IT. In my current position as an IT admin for a small company, I'm using all these things and I love my job!

The CS experience has given me insight to code, and I still use some of what I learned for scripting - but MIS is more my style.

Good Luck! Don't ever settle for something that you're unhappy with! :D IT is an extremely broad field with lots of different roles - if computers interest you, there's somewhere where you can fit.
Thanks for posting this. I don't want to derail this thread and I will post my questions in the networking forum.

Last edited:
Back