How is the sound quality on a mac?

Empty_Quarter

2[H]4U
I'm not sure whether this is the right section to post this, but since it is targetted to mac users, here it is:

I am looking into a mac for my next PC, however this will not happen this year, I do plan on getting a mac, any mac - imac, mac pro, or macbook - to replace my current system early next year.

I really like macs, however, I am curious as to how the sound quality are on these machines.

I currently play my music w/ a razer barracuda sound card on Klipsch Promedia speakers and various entry-level (HD555, DT770/80, ATH-AD700) audiophile headphones. How would the integrated sound of any new mac stack up to my current setup? I am fairly happy with what I've got, and I really wouldn't like to downgrade it.

If it isnt as good, what can I do to improve sound on a mac? Are there PCI soundcards available for the mac pro? Otherwise, is there an external solution if I were to use an imac?

Thanks in advance :)

I'm not sure whether this is the right section to post this, but since it is targetted to mac users, here it is:

I am looking into a mac for my next PC, however this will not happen this year, I do plan on getting a mac, any mac - imac, mac pro, or macbook - to replace my current system early next year.

I really like macs, however, I am curious as to how the sound quality are on these machines.

I currently play my music w/ a razer barracuda sound card on Klipsch Promedia speakers and various entry-level (HD555, DT770/80, ATH-AD700) audiophile headphones. How would the integrated sound of any new mac stack up to my current setup? I am fairly happy with what I've got, and I really wouldn't like to downgrade it.

If it isnt as good, what can I do to improve sound on a mac? Are there PCI soundcards available for the mac pro? Otherwise, is there an external solution if I were to use an imac?

Thanks in advance :)

Integrated sound is good, all the current models also have optical outputs, so you get straight digital sound to a receiver or amp.

Or just buy a soundcard... USB or Expresscard (for macbook pro) or PCI (mac pro) are your options.

I'm surprised at how good (and LOUD!) the sound is on my MacBook Pro. Of course, it's not as good as an external sound card. Still, my MBP sounds far better than any laptop I've ever used.

The integrated RealTek audio circuitry is horrible at best using the 1/8th analog jacks. Use the S/PDIF optical out to a reciever/pre-amp and the audio is great. Bypass the integrated analog circuitry whenever possible. This is all coming from a self proclaimed audiophile so you're experiences might differ. :rolleyes:

I have three macs, an iBook G3, Powermac G4 and a iMac G3. The iMac G3 is the only one I'm not 100% happy with the sound quality, I think it's actually pretty darn good for integrated sound, much better than any Windows machines I've had. The Powermac G4 is hooked up through a Logitech speaker set, and I can turn it almost all the way up, to about 90% and not get any sound distortion or static on a 512kbps MP3. My PC with the same speakers won't let me go above about 50% before I start getting sound distortion. While I won't say I'm an audiophile, music is practically my life, I play the violin and guitar (the latter, more like sort of play) and I almost always have iTunes at least open on my G4, but I won't say that I'm a sound quality freak, I don't sit there and specifically try to hear problems with my speakers or sound card, but I'm quite happy with the sound on my macs. The iMac has a little bit of static above about 30%, but if you took one look at it, you'd wonder how it works at all, being that it's held together with electrical tape. I don't think it's the computer's fault.

The integrated RealTek audio circuitry is horrible at best using the 1/8th analog jacks. Use the S/PDIF optical out to a reciever/pre-amp and the audio is great. Bypass the integrated analog circuitry whenever possible. This is all coming from a self proclaimed audiophile so you're experiences might differ. :rolleyes:

I'll somewhat agree. The onboard 3.5mm jack output is better than *most* laptops and stock motherboard circuitry... But the optical output is leaps and bounds better.

I've always felt the audio quality out from my MBP was pretty darn good... It got a lot better when I got my Apogee Duet though. :)

The quality on my MacBook Pro is great for listening to Music and Movies with whatever speakers and headphones I use. It is by far the best audio i have ever experienced coming from a laptop.

However having said that, it is no dedicated sound card.

If you are a hardcore audio professional, then the choice is clear to buy an external sound card.

Back