How is this OCZ powersupply?

I was just looking at the Watts... do I need an expensive PSU for a highend (non SLI or crossfire) system?

miochza said:
I was just looking at the Watts...

Lots of people make that mistake.

The total watts don't mean squat since it's only the sum of all of the individual rail's capability combined.

That and the 600W has two 12V rails while the 520W has just one big one.

The combined 12 V's on the 600W is 35A or 420W. Only 20A of that is used for things other than the CPU. Since the CPU is likely not going to need the remaining 15A on 12V2, you've got a lot of unusable power there.

The 12V on the 520 is 33A, but that's 33A you can use for anything. That's actually a little more usable power for less money.

Speaking of lower price... These guys are cheaper. No rebate to deal with:

http://www.xpcgear.com/ocz520adjsli.html

And if you question XPCGear's customer service, get this: I ordered something from them I KNEW wasn't in stock and they charged my credit card. They cancelled the charge on the CC and called me that night to confirm that I actually wanted the order! I told them I did. Not until a week later when the part was in stock did they charge my CC! That's crazy good customer service! I have to admit, when I worked at TCWO, we didn't hold the CC charge until the ship date when we had a back ordered item! A person would have had to cancelled the order. These guys rock!

jonnyGURU said:
Lots of people make that mistake.

The total watts don't mean squat since it's only the sum of all of the individual rail's capability combined.

That and the 600W has two 12V rails while the 520W has just one big one.

I agree, for the money I would get a more stable psu, either the 520's or take a look at this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817128002

Notice the amps on the 12v rails....

The Hyper isn't all that good, it's an overrated Andyson unit.

The Powerstream 520W puts out 33A on the +12V, not 30A. That's the 420W unit.

Anemone said:
Jonny doesn't this price range also cover the Gamex 600?

Just a thought.

$109? I think the GameXstream is a little more.

Besides, I KNOW the OCZ520ADJSLI is a good power supply. The verdict is still out for me with the GameXstream. Either I need to get my RMA replacement back from OCZ or I'll test this Epsilon 600W I just got this weekend to see if my o-scope readings are consistant with what I found on the OCZ last week (since they're based on the same platform.)

_Korruption_ said:
The Hyper isn't all that good, it's an overrated Andyson unit.

It's Hiper. And that's correct. The Hiper is decent, but unless you were looking for a blingy modular PSU, I'd still suggest the OCZ Powerstream.

_Korruption_ said:
The Powerstream 520W puts out 33A on the +12V, not 30A. That's the 420W unit.

Oops. I was flying on auto pilot again. Fixed.

I agree, I have an OCZ as well and would never switch brands again, I have a friend that has a Hiper and he loves it. Just passing along some insight.

Go test already. Yer makin me itch on the "return" button on this GX700 I just got :(

Back