How is your Seagate 7200.11 with CC1H firmware doing?

Has your Seagate 7200.11 with CC1H firmware given you any trouble?

• No, flawless

Votes: 65 79.3%
  • Yes, this sucks (please elaborate below)

Votes: 17 20.7%

• Total voters

EnderW

[H]F Junkie
I'd like to know if the issues with these drives have finally been resolved with the CC1H firmware. So please only vote if your drive has this firmware.
I have 12 of them, all CC1H and no problems yet, but I'm still in the process of getting everything set up.

I had a bad drive a few weeks ago and received the new one today. It is using the CC1H firmware and so far it working great.

EDIT: here is a screen shot of HDTune.

I hate my seagate drive. I bought it thinking that the firmware problem was just based off the firmware and a simple fix would make the HD fine.

After over a month of not having problems, my pc will freeze all the time and sometimes can be almost unusable! I have to buy a new hard drive, and plan on RMAing to Seagate.

Btw, I updated from CC1G to CC1H
I'll never ever buy a seagate drive again

I have 2 CC1H's and both have been performing great for ~1 month so far.

Scratch that, smartd has reported some errors on one of the drives. I'm going to run seatools on it and if that fails I guess its RMA time.

I have two 1.5TB drives and one 1TB all with CC1H firmware (all shipped with that fimware). They're on 24/7 for about 2 months, haven't had any problems.

Awww, crap, there was a firmware update that was supposed to keep this drive from crapping out? I've got a 500GB 7200.11 and it failed last weekend. For a while it was making a loud bumping sound randomly but I have two other drives in the system so I wasn't sure which one it was; I thought about checking my drives but got occupied by something else and forgot about it. I didn't lose anything important or that I couldn't re-obtain but it would have been nice not to lose anything, heh.

I was about to do the warranty stuff just now and I came here because I was going to make a post asking if I waited long enough if I could get a storage upgrade. My guess is that they'll have tons of these drives laying around for a while so it probably wouldn't be worth the wait to file a claim later. I'm thinking I should just go ahead and do the RMA.

I hate my seagate drive. I bought it thinking that the firmware problem was just based off the firmware and a simple fix would make the HD fine.

After over a month of not having problems, my pc will freeze all the time and sometimes can be almost unusable! I have to buy a new hard drive, and plan on RMAing to Seagate.

Btw, I updated from CC1G to CC1H
I'll never ever buy a seagate drive again

Careful with that kind of anger. Considering that every manufacturer of every type of computer hardware has dropped the ball in the past...you will have nobody to buy from.

38 drives here with no updates on any of them... smooth sailing. Most of them will be passing the year mark this week.

I got in on the cheap dell deal and ever since installing it as a storage drive I have had random stuttering from my computer even though its not my OS drive. Not to mention terrible HDtune results which I posted here

38 drives here with no updates on any of them... smooth sailing. Most of them will be passing the year mark this week.

I've been wondering about your setups Ockie, you've always been a long-time Seagate advocate, and a lot of your Galaxy builds used the 7200.11 1TB drives, am I correct?

What firmware revisions are they running at, and what do you think of Seagate so far after this whole firmware debacle? You're running the drives in WHS now rather than the more intensive RAID environment, which has to help with uptime and less problems even if a drive were to fail out of your storage pool, but I'm curious. :)

I'm going to have to go the other way on this thread.

I have 12 Seagate 7200.11 that run 24/7 all are either 1tb or 1.5tb and I have not updated the firmware on any of them.
I have not noticed a single performance or reliability related problem.

I know that supposedly it could just not work anymore, but if it aint broke, dont fix it.

I dont have problems with any of my drives.
Not saying that there are not issues but I just think this whole thing has gotten blown out of proportion.

Careful with that kind of anger. Considering that every manufacturer of every type of computer hardware has dropped the ball in the past...you will have nobody to buy from.
Ain't it the truth. I refused to buy WD drives for a long time after having 5 brick in three different rigs back when 10 Gig was a big drive. What finally brought me back was a Raptor 10 to go in my ThermalTake Armour Jr case. Now I am cringing at the two Seagate 7200.11 1TB drives with SD35 firmware sitting on the shelf waiting to go into a new build.

I purchased 3 of them a while back, one was failing seatools test out of the box, so i RMA'd to Newegg. since then the 2 original and the one replaced one have been running since around Christmas.

in all of my experience of millions of drives, ive had no problems out of WD or Seagate, I love Seagate for the 5 yr warranty, I have always stayed away from Maxtor though..... funny that seagate owns maxtor now.... maybe thats the reason why all the failures, maxtors cheap parts or manufacturing plants

I just installed a drive I bought from Dell about a month ago 1.5tb cc1g. Drive powered up fine with no noises and was recognized by Vista 32bit.....

I am going to run HD tune and stress tests and post the results.

Passed the seatools test.. Crossing my fingers. :eek:

my.php

I just bought 3 more. They came in yesterday from newegg, pressed against the side of the box. but they were packed in foam and bubble wrap. I stacked 3 of them in my computer w/ 2 80mm fans blowing on 5 hdds. Ran Seatools on the 3 of them for the past 12 hours and every single one passed, temps only got to 41 deg C. About to head back home and format them and move about 500gb of data back and forth amongst them before they get dropped into my WHS.

Since the 7200.11 firmware issue is triggered sometime when the drive is power cycled, I imagine that people using them in 24/7 setups will see a lot fewer problems (or it will take the problems a lot longer to manifest if the drives are rarely powered off).

Mine just started clicking away, and quite loud at this with random pauses freezing up the OS :( . I already had all my drives on my WHS 90+% full, getting 2 WD Green drives to move the data over. Seagate RMA here I come .

Since the 7200.11 firmware issue is triggered sometime when the drive is power cycled, I imagine that people using them in 24/7 setups will see a lot fewer problems (or it will take the problems a lot longer to manifest if the drives are rarely powered off).

the link i posted is a firmware fix to prevent the failed power cycle issue.

Well I took all 3 new drives, formatted them all, tested them all w/ seatools, then added them to my WHS pool and proceeded to fill them to the brim over the past 3 days. Everything is working well, no obscene clicking noises, and just working on keeping them plenty of cool while still trying to keep the noise down.

3x ST31500341AS 1.5tb drives shipped with CC1H firmware all working great for 2+ months with nonstop torrents/etc. No errors reported in Seatools, drives are going in the WHS box today :)

I ordered a 2 1TB 7200.12s

What came in the boxes even though they were all marked as 7200.12s ?

Yup you guessed it 2 spanking new 7200.11s 1TB and as soon as I saw it I nearly cried, I know the problems surrounding these drives and I really really need some storage space because one of my big drives died on me not long ago and I really really need that space back and I am now in a quandry asto whether to keep them or return for the proper 7200.12s that i was supposed to get in the first place.

I feel really uneasy about putting these into a working rig that has alot of important info on it, I would take a shit if I was to keep em for them to suddenly not work one day on power up...

I ordered a 2 1TB 7200.12s

What came in the boxes even though they were all marked as 7200.12s ?

Yup you guessed it 2 spanking new 7200.11s 1TB and as soon as I saw it I nearly cried, I know the problems surrounding these drives and I really really need some storage space because one of my big drives died on me not long ago and I really really need that space back and I am now in a quandry asto whether to keep them or return for the proper 7200.12s that i was supposed to get in the first place.

I feel really uneasy about putting these into a working rig that has alot of important info on it, I would take a shit if I was to keep em for them to suddenly not work one day on power up...
I've had four 7200.11 1.5TB drives for months and haven't had any problems. I just ordered 4 more and I'm going to use them in RAID 6. not worried about them failing.
however I would not be too happy if I ordered .12s and got .11s

Well to report my experience, I got 2 7200.11s instead of 2 7200.12s

I decided to send one back and keep the other because I needed the space bad, I got the drives yesterday and today whilst checking the drive, the new 1TB CCH1 drive fails SMART on spin retry count which is supposed to mean that their is a looming mechanical fault or failure coming up.

That would be inline with what I have read about these drives, suddenly not spinning up when booting up, so after only 1 day this drive that I shouldnt of even got in the first place is basically telling me its fuked or gunna fuk up due to having problems spinning up.

Ahwell, atleast I am still in the refund period, I will get cash and get drives from somewhere else.

Wish I'd checked on these drives earlier...

Bought the 1.5tb recently and this is my HDtune ( RIGHT - the left is from a review ) - awful. Have tried reinstalls with different OSs. It's a new drive with the latest firmware. The drive still cranks away even when the PC is idle. If anyone has a fix...

drive.JPG

Last edited:
I just sent one of mine back for this same reason. Seems to randomly seek across the drive at sporadic intervals which causes the entire system to hang for a couple seconds.

Edit: My three other 1.5 CC1H's don't have this problem.

Thats a fuked up picture on the right, even the one I had that failed smart out of the box was more like the picture on the left but with a higher minimum, roughly 65mb and a very slightly higher maximum of around the 125mb mark but the average was slightly lower than the 100 shown in the review picture.

Do you have your OS on that drive ? and is it vista ? because I have noticed on my OS drive that the hdd light always seems to be seeking for no reason, but thats one of vistas little quircks and if you are running a benchmark when your drive is doing that then you will get the results that your screenshot shows, now if the screenshot is of a storage drive and doesnt have an OS on it then I would be worried about it, but if the screenie is Vista on that drive then I wouldnt be that surprised especially if before you did the benchmark the hdd light was flashing on your pc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Evil, yeah that test was run just as a storage drive (using XP), nothing else running. So I partitioned the drive, chucked Windows 7 on it (thinking it might be XP) and tested it again with the same results. I can hear the drive clicking away even when idle, I even removed all virtual disk setups just to test.

You're right Cre3d, it's like a random and constant seek that slows everything down. And LOUD and annoying. Click chug click... Good to know you have identical drives without this problem.

Gotta be dodgy, it's going back :(

Yea, I actually checked SMART values and ran some seatools diagnostics, nothing ever showed up, nor were any of the values any different than the 3 other identical drives (I bought them all at the same time).

i ordered 20 from frys.com ($109.99 shipped each) with 5 year warranties. so far i haven't had any problems and been using them for 2 weeks.

i'll have all these as raid6 on an arc-1680ix-24 card within a week or two :)

once i get done copying the data from the 1.5's to my other drives (so i can put the 1.5's in a raid), i'll run hd tune on each one and report back here with the results. thus far, hdtune has shown the few i tested as fine.

Last edited:
I snagged two of CC1H (part number ending in 302) 1.5tb 7200.11s from the dell deal for $200.

I put the first one in, did a full format and then ran seatool's 'long self test' which reported no errors. Today, the disk freaked out and Vista actually changed the drive's name to "access denied". No matter what I tried, I couldn't do anything to that disk (including format it from within Vista). I took it out of the first machine and put it in a second. I had copied some data to the drive while it was still working; however the mbr was gone (or corrupt) when I hooked it up to the second machine.

I had one of these early drives, manufactured in Thailand and came with an initial firmware that I flashed with the SD17 firmware and with less than 6 hours of total use the drive failed and I lost all data stored -non-recoverable by any method. I ran the Seagate and other tests and it passed. Hard Disk Sentinel, however reported that it had spin-up problems.

I RMA'd the drive and just received one with the CC1H firmware ran all the same tests and its 100% functional. I really hope I don't have problems with this HD again because I don't want to permanently lose another 800GBs of data.

I got two of them with CC1H firmware from the Dell deal for $200. After about a month of use one had a bad block and failed Seagate short test. Seagate signed for the drive last Wednesday and I should have the replacement this coming Wednesday. I'm hoping the new one will last a long time. At least the RMA turn around is reasonably fast.

Can you let us know if the RMA drive is refurbished or new? I believe I have a drive that will probably require an RMA in the near future.

We built our line of computers for my stores using these .11 drives and since we started using them we have had almost 100 warranty repairs come back to us.

We typically see the 320GB and 500GB models fail, but have had a few 750GB and 1TB fail as well.

Some drives show bad sectors, others stop being detected all together.

We are now replacing all the bad drives with WD Blue drives instead.

It has been a nightmare for my two stores and is giving us a bad rap with customers for Seagate's problem.

Can you let us know if the RMA drive is refurbished or new? I believe I have a drive that will probably require an RMA in the near future.

I'm guessing it will be a refurb, but we'll see. According to their customer warranty statement under 'What Will Seagate Do?' it says "Seagate may replace your product with a product that was previously used, repaired and tested to meet Seagate specifications."

I'll post back after I get the replacement.

Back