How long did it take you guys to beat Portal, HL2, HL2Ep1,HL2Ep2??

KPark

Limp Gawd
How long did it take you guys to beat portal, half life 2, half life 2 ep 1, and half life 2 ep 2?

I just purchased the orange box and I was wondering how much play time I would get out of these games.

thanks

Portal was 2 to 2 1/2 hours, 2nd playthrough was probably an hour and a half. (Which was totally worth it.)

Half Life 2 was probably around 7 or 8 hours, I dont remember. I remember purchasing it the day it came out, and every moment that I wasnt at class or eating, I was playing it. I played it the day it came out, the next day, and then the following morning within a couple of minutes I beat it. I was also playing on Hard, but it kinda sucks since Hard mode just makes enemies stronger and doesnt really add any real challenge.

Ep 1 and Ep 2 probably took me 3 hours each.

If you're purchasing Orange Box, you'll probably get infinite playtime out of TF2.

HL2 = About 10 hours
HL2 EP1 = About 5 hours
HL2 EP2 = About 8 hours
Portal = About 4 hours

All of them were played on hard mode.

depends. are you interested in playing them, or just beating them. im always exploring and poking into corners and such.

depends. are you interested in playing them, or just beating them. im always exploring and poking into corners and such.

Same here, probably took me alot longer to beat them then other people. I examine everything everywhere I go, because there are always subtle clues about the story/current events.

How long did it take you guys to beat portal, half life 2, half life 2 ep 1, and half life 2 ep 2?

I just purchased the orange box and I was wondering how much play time I would get out of these games.

thanks

First run through, approximations

HL2 ~ 12 hours (slow for me)
HL2 Ep1 ~ 5 hours
HL2 Ep2 ~ 5 hours

Portal was about 1 hour 45 mins. I said to several friends that the puzzle would probably be easy and that valves over estimation for game time of 3-4 hours would easily be twice as much for any competant player, low and behold...

In all fairness I am adept at puzzles, especially spatial ones.

HL2 took me about 8-9 hours.
HL Episode 1 took me 3-4 hours
And I never bought Episode 2, because I had the feeling it wouldn't be worth the money, much like Episode 1, which was incredibly short. Based on most people's comments, seems I was right...
I did play Portal, at a friend's and it took me about 3-4 hours aswell. Much more fun that Episode 1 actually, but still very short.

And I never bought Episode 2, because I had the feeling it wouldn't be worth the money, much like Episode 1, which was incredibly short. Based on most people's comments, seems I was right...

If I could go back in time and alter my decision to buy the orange box I would, I feel ripped off, and a bit dirty.

If valve pull the same bullshit with Ep3 packing it with other games and making us buy HL2/Ep1 again then I'm just not buying it.

If I could go back in time and alter my decision to buy the orange box I would, I feel ripped off, and a bit dirty.

If valve pull the same bullshit with Ep3 packing it with other games and making us buy HL2/Ep1 again then I'm just not buying it.

I think orange box was worth it just for TF2 and portal. Hell from a purely hours played point of view, TF2 is worth about $500 to me, lol

Totally with you on this one. I may eventually buy a box that contains all 3 Episodes, for completeness sake, but only when it reaches a very low price. Given Valve's latest "idea", we're going to be stuck with either Steam (which I can't really use, due to my download limits) or huge bundles with games I already own or don't want.

I think orange box was worth it just for TF2 and portal. Hell from a purely hours played point of view, TF2 is worth about $500 to me, lol

So what about those that didn't want TF2, such as me ? Portal and Episode 2 are surely not worth 45 euros IMO. Just FYI, 45 euros is over $65.

And the prices applied in Steam for each game, are insane. At least when they were released. Don't know how they are now. I kind of lost interest.

So was I going to spend 45 euros on a bundle with games I already own (HL2 and Episode 1), plus a game I don't want (TF2) and two "mini-games" (Episode 2 and Portal) ?
Not at all. I didn't and I'm glad I didn't.

So what about those that didn't want TF2, such as me ? Portal and Episode 2 are surely not worth 45 euros IMO. Just FYI, 45 euros is over $65.

And the prices applied in Steam for each game, are insane. At least when they were released. Don't know how they are now. I kind of lost interest.

So was I going to spend 45 euros on a bundle with games I already own (HL2 and Episode 1), plus a game I don't want (TF2) and two "mini-games" (Episode 2 and Portal) ?

Fine. No one can change your mind if you don't like what you are buying.

Well, I don't know why you wouldn't want TF2, since it's brilliant. I owned HL2 and ep1 before I bought orange box and was a little pissed about the packaging, but after buying I don't regret it a bit. I thought ep 2 was better than ep 1 (but I only payed $10 for ep 1, so I wasn't too annoyed about the brevity). Also, I felt a lot better about buying the orange box since steam let me gift my extra liscences for HL2 and ep1 to friends. The combo of ep 2 + portal + TF2 is worth it I think, even if you don't count the other stuff with it. Although, I totally agree that the individual game prices make buying them and not the orange box pointless.

HL2 probably took me 12 hours and I take my time to explore. The problem is that the game is so freaking linear there isn't all that much exploration.

I have no intention for purchasing Orange box for three reasons.
1) My lack of internet access now precludes me from being able to stay online to play a single player game.
2) I can't believe Valve has the nerve to charge us extra just so we don't get stuck with the non-ending of HL2.
3) I have no interest in TF2. From what I have seen its just CTF, deathmatch in cell shading. Big Deal. Just like every other multiplayer oriented game, the worst part of the game is that you are playing with people who will eventually ruin the game somehow. After that server populations drop and eventually you have a game no one is playing.

I never bothered to finish HL2 since I didn't enjoy it all that much, so I can't really say. The episodes each took me about 4 hours, and Portal took about 2 hours.

Before I buy EP1 and EP2 (Or the Orange box)

What are EP1 and EP2? Pre-quils I take it?

Sequels, they pick up after HL2.

I actually just bought Orange Box this weekend over Steam. I played through HL2 back at release and you get that as a free gift for someone if you already have it on your Steam account when you buy the Orange Box. Nice touch.

Played through Portal first since I heard it was quick. No joke, quick but kinda fun and a nice setting and mood. For a longer take on portals, play Prey instead. No portal gun but some actual portal use in a longer game and some crazy situations with portals and gravity.

EP1/EP2 I thought were pretty cool. I enjoy the HL story so they were nice to play once.

TF2, played it for the first time. Joined some random server, it was playing a map I recognized from TF1 and I was off to the races. Seems very fun so far. My one gripe was the inability to change your name, in the game, from any menu. Seriously, WTF? Took me a half hour to figure out how to change my name from the default (your Steam account name, again, WTF) Not a good first impression, that almost made me not want to play it. I eventually discovered you change your name not in the game itself, like every other FPS game ever created. No, you change it from some hidden community menu in the Steam UI.

Im kinda with you, I didnt already have Ep1 though. Sadly, the only game that kept any interest was the free game peggle extreme that I got free because I had an nvidia card. hl2, ep1, ep2, portals were all "meh" at best for me. The hard setting was like a normal on every other game out there. I cant play TF2, to cartoony/stupid/slow for me.

Well, I don't know why you wouldn't want TF2, since it's brilliant.

+1, TF2 has so much variety that anybody can enjoy it. So many classes and gameplay strategies, there is something for everyone. Orange Box was the deal of a century at $45 (it was on sale when I bought it). Even if you did pay the full $50, think of what console players have to deal with. $60 + tax for their games. Even if it's only a 5-6 hour long game. *cough* Call of Duty 4 *cough*

Be happy that we get such deals, especially for such an epic package.

Portal - 2½ hours
HL2 - don't remember, it was on and off for 3 days
EP1 - 3½ hours, would've been much shorter if it wasn't for that stupid elevator/car park level.
EP2 - 4-5 hours, replayed the driving portions a few times.

Well, I don't know why you wouldn't want TF2, since it's brilliant. I owned HL2 and ep1 before I bought orange box and was a little pissed about the packaging, but after buying I don't regret it a bit. I thought ep 2 was better than ep 1 (but I only payed $10 for ep 1, so I wasn't too annoyed about the brevity). Also, I felt a lot better about buying the orange box since steam let me gift my extra liscences for HL2 and ep1 to friends. The combo of ep 2 + portal + TF2 is worth it I think, even if you don't count the other stuff with it. Although, I totally agree that the individual game prices make buying them and not the orange box pointless.

I obviously disagree. TF2 may be "fun" to play, but it has no where near the amount of options, strategies and team gameplay, as Quake Wars for example, which is something I play on a daily basis. Plus TF2 has MUCH less content than Quake Wars. Brilliant ? IMO, not at all, but obviously you're entitled to your opinion as I am.

Also, did you read the part where in Europe (at least my country), the Orange Box didn't drop a single cent ? It was 45 euros a month ago (over $60). I didn't even think the Orange Box was worth $45, much less $60. So it was a simple decision. I was not going to spend that much money on games I already owned (HL2 and Episode 1) and in at least one (TF2) I didn't want.

Back