How long do you think these builds will last?

RedCt

Weaksauce
I'd like everyone's opinion on how long these two builds would last before a upgrade (meaning new mobo or CPU, not just RAM or graphics) and I'd like to hear any suggestions if you have them. I'm going to be using this computer for gaming (WoW, Oblivion, Battlefield 2, etc), graphics work (I'm a photographer), and just general compiling and work. It's (as usual) going to be AMD v Intel. I'

AMD:
CPU - Athlon X2 4600 (possibly 4200)
MoBo- DFI LP UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP
RAM - CORSAIR XMS2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 800 (PC2 6400
HD - Some 320GB HD
GFX Card - GeForce 7900GS

Intel:
CPU: Core 2 Duo E6400 (or E6600)
Mobo: Asus P5NSLI
RAM, GFX, HD - Same as above

EDIT: Whoops - forgot the PSU :p

PSU - FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX450-PN 450W Power Supply

The intel maybe the best choice for longevity right now but the word on the street is that the quad core AMDs will drop into the AM2 mobos.

But if I had to choose the intel system.

I'm not that interested in quad core for now - dual core will be fine for a while longer :)

I'd go with the cheapest of the two. They're both solid builds and will last you quite a while. Both of those builds can easily handle what you plan to throw at it. I also agree on upgrading the ram to 2 gigs.

a post for a good choice on value, but great psu!

one thing though, while the 450W FSP is a great choice for $50, it won't be able to handle a 7900 SLI setup

For now I'm not that interested in SLI - if I'm going SLI, I'll change my PSU (either when I first build it or at upgrade).

RedCt said:
Any other suggestions?

I might go for a 7900GT; assuming you're paying $200 for your GS you can probably get a superior GT for just $30-$40 more after mail in rebates. On the other hand, you might wait for the Sapphire Radeon X1900GT's to reappear on Newegg for $200.

Otherwise, looks good. ;)

Waht about my system in my sig? Is it tired already? Fuck, it's ony a year old!

Back