How long have you been in to PCs and what was your first Rig, Favorite Games on it?

TheBluePill

2[H]4U
How long have you been in to PCs and what was your first Rig?

I started getting a bit nostalgic today and started going through Wiki looking at some of the old Hardware I used to run, from SB Pro’s and Diamond Stealth Cards on through to my first PC..

So, I thought I would share my first “Rig”, a couple of the games I loved to play on it and what Year I got it, and I hope you will do the same.

Year: 1991

PC: IBM PS/1
Processor: Intel 386 SX-16
Ram: 2mb
Graphics: VGA, 512K
HD: 120mb
Sound: SB Pro (ISA Add-On)
CD: (Later added, Sony External 1x “Laser Library” with Caddy)
Modem: 2,400bps
Input: PS2 KB/Mouse, Thrustmaster FCS

Top 5 Games:
Wing Commander
X-Wing
Wofenstein 3D
Star Trek: 25th Anv
Leisure Suite Larry

1994 Packard Bell
50MHZ 486
I forget the rest. :(

For games, I loved Doom, Blake Stone, Decent, and some alien game.

I had a gateway. very old computer forgot the specs. ran windows 95 had probably 32mb

My first rig was a homebrew comp from my dad's fellow engineer buddy (c1995). It was AMD K5 with 16MB ram (i think?).

My first build (1999):
AMD K7 Athlon 650Mhz Slot A (.25 micron) OC'd later with a Goldfinger device
Gigabyte K7 motherboard
128MB PC133
TNT(1) 16MB AGP 2x video card
12GB Maxtor 7200 hard drive
Pioneer DVD slot drive
Creative 4x2x4 CD-RW
Soundblaster Live!

I stuck with a few video card upgrades before my second real system build:
Creative 16MB TNT --> Guillemot Xentor32 TNT2 Ultra 32MB --> Creative GF2 GTS 32MB DDR

GAMES: UT all the way and then some HL

The good ol' days

1980 - Atari 400 16KB RAM and tape drive. WOOT Zaxxon and some PacMan clone.
First PC was some kinda 286 but I dont remember what I played on it. Original Doom and Civilization maybe?

Early 90's packard bell with a 486 in it. first generation CD-ROM by creative featuring caddy loading (..yeah)

First games? Aces Of the Pacific and WOLFENSTEIN 3D. Wolf3d > Doom

A 386 machine my dad had put together. I was four. :)
My older brother had Doom, a bunch of the gold box rpgs, and the Kings Quest games.

My first computer was back in 1995 or 1996 I believe. It was a Gateway P5-90.. For my hard earned money, here is what I remember about it..

Windows 3.1
90mhz Pentium 1
850 MEGABYTE hard drive
32 megs of ram

My favorite game back in the day: The Original "Doom"
(Doom had to be run in DOS. You had to exit Windows and go to the command prompt).

My first computer was a Zenith Z-150 (back in 1986)

4.77Mhz 8088 (later upgraded to a 8 Mhz NEC V20 chip)
Dual 5.25" floppy drives
64K of memory
Windows 1.02

Favorite Game: Balance of Power

Apricot PC, circa 1992:

Intel 80386SX 25MHz
2MB RAM
ATI Mach32
80MB HDD
PC Speaker (ie, no soundcard)
Windows 3.1 with MS-DOS 5 (later 6.22)

Strangely, the only games I can remember playing on it are SimCity, SimEarth, "Reasoning with Trolls", and possibly DOOM (shareware only). I'm sure there are plenty more, but my memory escapes me. Edit: And Monkey Island!

I first started with PC's in 1997 on a 300 MHz e-Machine playing Diablo. I played pretty much only Diablo until Diablo 2 came out. After the massive let down that game was, I branched out into other games, and discovered the marvel that was the RTS in C&C : Aftermath. After that I discovered the FPS, and never really was crazy about them.

Mine was back in about 95,

it was a machine running windows 3.1
Pentium Overdrive
16mb ram
4.3gb hard drive
5.25 floppy

iirc

i think it 93-94 we got an Acer Aspire from Incredible Universe. It had a 100mhz Pentium Processor, 8MB RAM. I dont remember the rest of the specs because I was like 8. I remember playing Tyrian and Decent on it all day :D.

My first computer was really an Epson (yes, they once made computers) running Windows v3.1. Don't recall any specs besides something like 640kb of RAM. We still have that PC too, in storage.

Besides that, I first got into PC's about 10 years ago as I didn't start exploring the insides of hardware and software until I took over the family Gateway PC back around 1998. We still have it, though not hooked up. It's a P3 that ran Windows '98, though I believe we upgraded the memory, processor and hard drive.

But anyway, I've been in it awhile and I've used or owned just about everything there is. My father still has several Commodore 64's and even the ancient Radio Shack TRS-80 (yes, Radio Shack also made computers)...

Computers, like a drug, are addicting and expensive, and once hooked, the rest of your life means nothing or very little. I just about eat, sleep and breathe computers. It's all I've ever known and all I've ever been good with. I merely need to get my ass around to getting some certs so I can prove it, and get myself a comfy IT job.

- Joey

My first computer was in 1993. It was a 486 66mhz DX/2. I played any game I could get my hands on back then...loved most of them. Doom, X-Wing, Tie Fighter...the original B-17 Flying Fortress. Had that computer for nearly 6 years.

I first started with PC's in 1997 on a 300 MHz e-Machine playing Diablo. I played pretty much only Diablo until Diablo 2 came out. After the massive let down that game was, I branched out into other games, and discovered the marvel that was the RTS in C&C : Aftermath. After that I discovered the FPS, and never really was crazy about them.

If you thought Diablo II was a "let down" from Diablo I... you are... fucking high.

I played both, religiously. Diablo I was groundbreaking, but online play was terrible at best, and it was short.

Diablo II did everything Diablo I did but better, and more expansive... but to each his own I guess.

As for first computer, I started pretty late, 1997 with a Pentium II 266mhz CPU, 64 megs of ram and a 4 gig HDD. Used an 8 meg video card as well ( I think, may have been 4 megs )

Used it to play small games and that's where I delved into website development and programming.

Besides that, I first got into PC's about 10 years ago as I didn't start exploring the insides of hardware and software until I took over the family Gateway PC back around 1998. We still have it, though not hooked up. It's a P3 that ran Windows '98, though I believe we upgraded the memory, processor and hard drive.

- Joey

I thought P3s came out in like 1999? Or maybe really late 1998?

I may be wrong though.

Year: 1989

Processor: Intel 386 33 mhz
Ram: 2mb
Graphics: VGA
HD: 60mb
Sound: Soundblaster
CD: No CD!
3.5" Disk drive
Modem: 2,400bps
Input: PS2 KB/Mouse

Top 5 Games:
Wing Commander
Monkey Island
X-Wing
Maniac Mansion
Pirates!

Some custom 386 in a desktop form factor beige color with some weird teal green stripe cutting across it.
5.25" & 3.5" floppies. 20MB hard drive.
Cant even remember the graphics card, but it was enough to run Doom, and run Doom it did.

I can remember it wouldn't always turn on, I would have to flip the power switch like 10 times sometimes to get it to power up. And the monitor would have to warm up for like 30 seconds before you could get a clear picture. And it was connected to a dot matrix printer that you could hear outside while it was printing, so freakin loud.

Started on an ol Dell Optiplex. 266mhz CPU and 256mb of RAM.

Game of the day was Doom and Mechwarrior.
w00t

Hmm this is going to show my age.

can't remember details.
The game was a text based adventure game.

Amstrad CPC464
Harrier + Racing game.

First PC Build
1993 ( I Think)
486DX50 (a whopping 50mhz bus speed)
4MB Ram Later upgraded to 8mb.
80MB harddisk (I Think)
Diamond viper graphics card

Games Day of the tentacle..... it ruled.

Back