how long till we see beefed up cooling on 4890?

RM_Bulldog

Gawd
how long till we start to see manufactures like XFX and gigabite slap a diffent cooler on these cards? i think i will be waiting for this to buy :)

I'm guessing not at all, since a refresh card will replace it too quickly, It would be a waste of money for vendors to invest in better cooling.

Here's one from Asus which appears to be coming ....

Asus HD 4890 (non-reference)

http://www.techpowerup.com/?88973

* 100% digital PWM design - something the reference PCB features too, but enhanced by a small design change by ASUS
* The 6+2 phase power circuit is controlled by two independent VRM controller chips, the vGPU can be controlled by software, and can be set up to 1.4 V with the included software
* An 8-pin PCI-E power input replaces one of two 6-pin inputs on the reference model. This is said to add electrical stability and increase overclocking headroom
* ASUS added the industry's highest-quality voltage regulation thanks to the Fujitsu high-density ML capacitor, that facilitates the lowest ESR, and is best suited for digital PWM circuits (the cleanest power makes it to the GPU)
* The GPU is expected to be clocked above 900 MHz, with the GDDR5 memory at 1000 MHz (4.00 GHz effective)
* It will feature a non-reference high-performance cooler, which doesn't want to be pictured yet

1sfmsp.jpg

I think we will see non-referance cooling in a few weeks, they can largely use the same vapor-chill, ICE-Q whatever coolers they had from the 4850/4870's

Sapphire are supposed to be releasing a Vapor X Toxic version, should be in the next week or two...that's what I'm holding out for...also Asus, HIS and MSI are bringing out non-reference coolers.

I would say give it a few more weeks and more non reference's will be introduced, but i think it might take a month or so to get them in stock and ready for purchase. If some nice ones come out I might just have to pull the trigger on this one and get 2 in CF, but my 4870x2 is a champ right now so it might be a waste. What yah think?

If some nice ones come out I might just have to pull the trigger on this one and get 2 in CF, but my 4870x2 is a champ right now so it might be a waste. What yah think?

I think it's a waste.

I think it's best to wait for the next gen card which should be faster and also support DX11. Upgrading within the same generation is not worth it unless:

1. Your current card died.
2. It is a significant upgrade like a HD 4670 to the HD 4890.

Why wouldn't some ASUS DK 4890's start showing up?
ASUS has put the DK on so many cards already...

Back