How many 4080/4090 owners plan to upgrade to a respective 50 series when available?

I have friends that geek out over cars, drones, whiskey, etc. In the grand scheme of hobbies (for adults at least) a GPU is pretty affordable. If your budget doesn't allow for it, that's why they have consoles.
I don't want a console.

Reactions: Xar
like this
Being on a 4090, I'm 100% skipping the next gen. I'm already bottlenecked by my 5950X anyway and I want to try to keep this system going for quite a few more generations. What I wish I had done with a (2500K upgraded to a) i7 2700K rig and then upgraded needlessly almost every generation on both the CPU and GPU fronts.

When I do upgrade, I'm not limiting myself to Nvidia either. If AMD or even Intel has a GPU attractive on performance and price I'll consider it. The Nvidia exclusive features aren't deal breakers to me.

Being on a 4090, I'm 100% skipping the next gen. I'm already bottlenecked by my 5950X anyway and I want to try to keep this system going for quite a few more generations. What I wish I had done with a (2500K upgraded to a) i7 2700K rig and then upgraded needlessly almost every generation on both the CPU and GPU fronts.

When I do upgrade, I'm not limiting myself to Nvidia either. If AMD or even Intel has a GPU attractive on performance and price I'll consider it. The Nvidia exclusive features aren't deal breakers to me.
Your 5950X can be configured to NOT limit your 4090 in any meaningful way.... check out what I discovered configuring it differently, you might notice a decent jump in performance, even at 4K!

https://hardforum.com/threads/x3d-or-is-it-amd-single-core-torture.2028234/page-2#post-1045665053

Not upgrading the my 4090 for the foreseeable future. I tend to upgrade when I feel an actual need. For instance, I was happily running things on my old Dell 1600p @ 60hz with my 3080 FE. Then bought a 4k 120hz LG OLED TV as a monitor. GPU needed a bump, hence a 4090. I tend to find that an annual upgrade doesn't really provide a massively different experience, unless the new hardware is just ragingly more powerful. eg 4090.

My next upgrade will most likely be a platform upgrade to an AM5 CPU and Motherboard - and those upgrades tend to last much longer. Swings and roundabouts.

Nice to upgrade all the time, but not really necessary.

And as for overspending/debt, that's a discussion for another thread, but I wouldn't be making generalities and assuming it applies to a majority. I consider this a hobby, not my life.

If im even able to snag a 4090 I'd keep is as long as I can. 5-6 years probably.

my goal is to keep it as long as possible. I play at 1080p now but upgrading this weekend to 1440p but I don't see myself going any higher as monitor sizes just get too big for me after 24"

Being on a 4090, I'm 100% skipping the next gen. I'm already bottlenecked by my 5950X anyway

I think this myth needs to be dispelled right now. If you upgrade to a faster GPU, it will be faster than your current one even if you don't upgrade your CPU. It won't be as fast as it would be with a superior CPU, but that hardly means that such an upgrade wouldn't be worth it.

A faster GPU is always faster than a slower one even in less than ideal circumstances. You'd have to put the GPU in a system with a truly archaic CPU for this not to be the case. At that point, you aren't meeting system requirements for modern games at all, even if the GPU is the fastest on the planet.

Coming from a 4090 and a 4080 I will probably upgrade to a 5000 series card, but it may not be the top dog for me again. Really not needed IMO.

I have a 4090 and skipping 5XXX series. So far my 4090 is running everything good at 2k. Not until I have a 4k 240hz Oled I don't think I would need to upgrade in a while. Unless AAA titles start to get demanding at 1440p.

Entirely depends on the software, doesn't it? If we get more titles like Alan Wake 2 (in respect to taking advantage of the hardware), then I'll upgrade. But if it's just an occasional path-traced title here and there, then perhaps not.

Entirely depends on the software, doesn't it? If we get more titles like Alan Wake 2 (in respect to taking advantage of the hardware), then I'll upgrade. But if it's just an occasional path-traced title here and there, then perhaps not.

I don't think we'll see widespread path tracing until consoles are capable of doing it. Until then yeah it's probably just going to be a few titles per year is what I'm thinking.

I don't think we'll see widespread path tracing until consoles are capable of doing it. Until then yeah it's probably just going to be a few titles per year is what I'm thinking.
Most likely. Now of course that does depends somewhat on engines, if UE and Unity make it easy enough to implement both a raster and an RT path, more games may do it. But the more work it takes for the devs, the less we'll see because consoles are just too big a force to ignore and they can't do full RT.

Anyone with a 4090 that say they are 100% not upgrading to a 5090, not that I do not believe you (at least that you do right now believe that).

But there is a non 0% chance world in which there is no GPU significantly more powerful than a 5090 launched before January 2028 and in that possible world PS6 games are now common and not just 4k or 1200p 120fps mode port of the PS5 anymore and the PC games start to reflect that.

If you are the kind of person that bought a 4090, the my CPU is too slow anyway or it feel like it will be fast enough and I do not need to put setting at ultra when I game at 1440p to be happy or have more than 70fps, could all stop to be stuff you say to yourself by 2026 or 2027, when 10900x3d-128 gb CL-34 9000mhz DDR5 kit are not too expensive and you see people getting more than twice your fps or running game at setting you can't.

And when the 5090 launch you will tell yourself, will I really keep the 4090 for the next 2-3 years, if I am to upgrade may as well do it now, 4090 will never sell back for more and those cards never reduce price really until the next one launch anyway, so why wait, your brain will find a way.

A would believe those who went 1080TI system to a new 4090 one sure, maybe the 2080Ti to 4090, the 3090/6900xt crowd, I am doubtful, will see when Nvidia heavy partnership The Witcher 4 that use AI only the fly reconstructed textures that fit in 23 GB of VRAM what would have needed 100GB before with DLSS 4, reconstructed pathtracing 2, framereconstruction 3 with Reflex+ launch and NVG_Ai_generated_dialog launch.

Last edited:
Anyone with a 4090 that say they are 100% not upgrading to a 5090, not that I do not believe you (specially the part where you believe that).

Exactly. Let's be honest, [H] people are going to have different attitudes by early 2025. Assuming a worldwide military or economic catastrophe does not occur between now and then, lots of folks on this forum will be day one buyers. We're a collection of hobbyists, gamers, bleeding edge tech enthusiasts, and industry professionals. Many of us will simply be bored with our 4090's by 2025. But we'll also have tangible benefits to realize, trying to push our new 4k 240Hz screens. That's the only excuse many will need to justify clicking the buy button on that 5090.

Exactly. Let's be honest, [H] people are going to have different attitudes by early 2025. Assuming a worldwide military or economic catastrophe does not occur between now and then, lots of folks on this forum will be day one buyers. We're a collection of hobbyists, gamers, bleeding edge tech enthusiasts, and industry professionals. Many of us will simply be bored with our 4090's by 2025. But we'll also have tangible benefits to realize, trying to push our new 4k 240Hz screens. That's the only excuse many will need to justify clicking the buy button on that 5090.

Bored is certainly a factor. For me, if I can secure one at launch, I’m upgrading. Part of the fun for me is being among the first to post my experiences with the card. Performance across various games I play, temps, power consumption, all that jazz when the hype and interest are strong.

On that same note, if it’s sold out for months on end I’m less likely to upgrade as that initial excitement would have waned and everything I was looking forward to show and tell about has already been documented and published many times over. That’s when the rational part of my brain takes over.

Bored is certainly a factor. For me, if I can secure one at launch, I’m upgrading. Part of the fun for me is being among the first to post my experiences with the card. Performance across various games I play, temps, power consumption, all that jazz when the hype and interest are strong.

On that same note, if it’s sold out for months on end I’m less likely to upgrade as that initial excitement would have waned and everything I was looking forward to show and tell about has already been documented and published many times over. That’s when the rational part of my brain takes over.
Oh it won't be "sold out" it will be available on ebay for a "modest" markup!

Skipped 40 series so if the 5090 offers a compelling performance upgrade - say around a 50% boost I might buy my first 90 series Nvidia GPU. Well if the Bots don't shut me out of buying one! Haha.

This would should give me the performance to drive 4k in the 100-150+ FPS. Who wants only 60 FPS at 4k with the speed of today's monitors? My main driver is running at 175hz.

Skipped 40 series so if the 5090 offers a compelling performance upgrade - say around a 50% boost I might buy my first 90 series Nvidia GPU. Well if the Bots don't shut me out of buying one! Haha.

This would should give me the performance to drive 4k in the 100-150+ FPS. Who wants only 60 FPS at 4k with the speed of today's monitors? My main driver is running at 175hz.

Uh 50% boost? You do realize that the 4090 already offers more than a 50% boost over the 30 series right? A 5090 would probably be a 100% boost.

1701593871659.png

Uh 50% boost? You do realize that the 4090 already offers more than a 50% boost over the 30 series right? A 5090 would probably be a 100% boost.

I meant a 50% boost over the 4090. I don't think we're ever going to see a performance doubling in a new generation any more.

And it looks like AMD has completely given up on even trying to keep up. They only aim to compete with the second tier of Nvidia which is the 4080 this gen and will be the 5080 next gen.

I don't know if Intel can do anything good with their next gen of Arc GPUs but they are so new to the discrete graphics card arena, I don't think they'll have some kind of crazy product ready by 2025.

I meant a 50% boost over the 4090. I don't think we're ever going to see a performance doubling in a new generation any more.

And it looks like AMD has completely given up on even trying to keep up. They only aim to compete with the second tier of Nvidia which is the 4080 this gen and will be the 5080 next gen.

I don't know if Intel can do anything good with their next gen of Arc GPUs but they are so new to the discrete graphics card arena, I don't think they'll have some kind of crazy product ready by 2025.
The 4090 is 75 percent faster at raster and double at raytracing versus the 3090. That's not quite a flat doubling but not bad at all. Guess we'll see when rtx 5000 arrives!

If the 5090 is 75% faster: yes

If it’s 25% faster: no

In the middle: depends on 5090 availability and used 4090 prices.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of games come out around the 5090 and if things continued to progress toward "requiring" DLSS for acceptable performance. I guess something else that might affect my decision is DLSS 3 frame generation. I've honestly grown to really like it in many/most titles. Even twitchy ones where I never suspected I would. If my 4090 can push 120fps with DLSS 3 on, I know it's not as good as native...but it could be close enough for my own personal preferences. I think my own eagerness will probably come down to what games are on the horizon around the time of launch and if anything between now and then warrants something bigger.

I know this thread is about upgrading to a 5090 but my question is... where the hell are the 4090s? There's zero stock out there unless you're willing to pay scalper prices. :banghead:

I know this thread is about upgrading to a 5090 but my question is... where the hell are the 4090s? There's zero stock out there unless you're willing to pay scalper prices. :banghead:
There were reports a couple months ago that nvidia was slashing/stopping production. I guess they were true. Don’t really know the reason behind it.

We're getting pretty close to Christmas, so that's probably also a factor. Christmas can take a rare item to "sold out everywhere" pretty quickly.

Another problem, and what spurred me to FOMO buy mine, is the "AI" rush. If you wanna run an LLM on your local machine it's nVidia cards all the way, AMD just isn't as fast. Also VRAM is key because the more parameters you want for the model, the more VRAM you need to hold it. That makes the 4090 very attractive for enthusiasts or researchers who don't wanna shell out the massive amounts of the pro cards.

Edit: I should add that I didn't get mine to do LLMs but to play games. I didn't buy one at launch because since the crypto craze had abated I figured "I can get it later if I feel like." When the AI shit started making mainstream news I decided to pull the trigger because I didn't want to want one later and not be able to have it.

Silly FOMO yes, but then it looks like I was right, and now I'm starting to see games like Alan Wake 2 that I want to play, that can use the grunt a 4090 provides.

Last edited:
IMHO, this thread has proven that Nvidia could take the price to "infinity" and people here would have a "perfect justification" for buying it. Indeed, what a world we live in.

(I think I'll sit back and watch)

IMHO, this thread has proven that Nvidia could take the price to "infinity" and people here would have a "perfect justification" for buying it. Indeed, what a world we live in.

(I think I'll sit back and watch)
Sad but that's how a mega liberal capitalist corporate operates. You name your price and get what you paid for. nVIDIA ain't a goddamn charity, money above all else.

What a world we live in huh? I remember when you could buy a beater car for less than that lol. And it would last you longer.

If you wanna talk about cars you'd know that the prices of new cars has surged as well. They didn't just go up by a few hundred either but thousands and some now have starting prices that are $10k higher than what they used to be either because the base models have been eliminated or literally no reason other than just because. A 2017 CTR had an MSRP of $34,790 while a 2023 now has an MSRP of $43,795 and there isn't even a real generational leap between the two.

Median household income was $57K in 2016 in the USA. Using new Nvidia math (2x the cost), today's median income must be $144K, but alas, no it's only about $78K.

I remember when the cost of technology became less over time. I mean, even for "advances". That is, the cost of a top tier computer was less than what it used to be, etc. I really miss those days.

Looking forward to "Nvidia days". But sadly, my salary is likely to follow roughly cost of living, inflation. Sometimes it might go up more for merit, but probably not 2x.

Back