how many of you guys are buying the new qx9000 series intel cpus? and why?

JVC

[H]ard|Gawd
i am not. i am waiting for what is coming next, and i cannot afford that now.:(:) u?

Not I, Q6600 is plenty, going to wait until Nehalem w/ new socket and IMC. With Intel's tick tock game, I like buying the ticks.

Not I, Q6600 is plenty, going to wait until Nehalem w/ new socket and IMC. With Intel's tick tock game, I like buying the ticks.

Same here,as my oc'd Q6600 is way,way more then any game needs now,or will need in the next 6 to 18 months (bar Alan Wake ......maybe) Only thing I am uprading in the next few months will be my video card.

Whatever Nvidia or AMD has for sale,this coming Spring 08 in the 500$ to 650$+ range.

Until socket 1160 Nehelams are out,then I may look at things again,and reevaluate my current cpu build.

My wife says she wants a cpu/mobo upgade this summer coming though,but thats her system not mine. :D

These processors cost as much as my entire machine.

For your ordinary use, I definitely don't see the payoff in terms of value : price ratio.

I'm going for the Q9450....12MB of L2 @ 2.66ghz by default for $316 shipped....that badboy is gonna scream. Its gonna run cooler, and require less power out the gate, I'm gonna be water cooling as well so I'm hoping to hit at least 3.8ghz.

Other then that I'm just ready to upgrade from my AMD S939 system.

I'm building my first new rig in years and have already placed an order for Q9450 to the New Zealand supplier Ingram Micro since I work at a computer shop. The shipment of 105 chips are still on some container at sea since the status page of the supplier says "overdue".

I just want a good CPU for the next 4 years and can't wait that long for Nehalem. The Q9450 IMO is the best since it has the 12MB cache but isn't insanely priced. IIRC they OC well in early tests.

q9450ds8.png

Since the Q9450 is supposed to run cooler and I'm running a mATX setup, that's what I'm shooting for. I'm also going to get a better mobo that handles OCing better. I knew I should have gotten the Gigabyte instead lol.

I'm building my first new rig in years and have already placed an order for Q9450 to the New Zealand supplier Ingram Micro since I work at a computer shop. The shipment of 105 chips are still on some container at sea since the status page of the supplier says "overdue".

I just want a good CPU for the next 4 years and can't wait that long for Nehalem. The Q9450 IMO is the best since it has the 12MB cache but isn't insanely priced. IIRC they OC well in early tests.

q9450ds8.png

Yes I'm going to buy the Q9450 or the Q9550 it depends on price
The main problem is which motherboard and ram to suit the cpu?

I have a QX9650 on order. It's definitley not worth the price but I have the money. :D

E6600 isn't bottleneck in games, even at stock speed. That's all I use my home pc for. NEEEEEED videocard upgrade asap :(

Yes I'm going to buy the Q9450 or the Q9550 it depends on price
The main problem is which motherboard and ram to suit the cpu?

From the ASUS support page a P5E will do and that's what I'm getting.

I think it'll be tough for most Q6xxx owners to justify an upgrade to the Q9xxx series. Unless they're in it purely for the overclocking.

Dont forget to consider these are already going to be running at a 333 fsb, your going to need some serious FSB clocking to get these to OC past 3.0ghz.

i just put a new system together with the qx9650....running nice right now, i've not pushed it too hard, but I've got it up at 3.6 ghz with just a multiplier increase and a little extra voltage. i'm enjoying it so far. I got it because i had some money, it was a little expensive, but its a tax write off. I'll use this system in the upcoming year for some freelance work...creating 3d graphics, video editing etc...plus playing team fortress at 2560x1600 is wonderful with this proc and video card

Thread starter says QX (As in Extreme, as in $1,000)
Unless he means the Q9xxx, the new quads.

Either way I'm not buying one, I don't see any need to upgrade from my E6600 as it's not bottlenecking my gaming.

It's not that I can't afford, but I just don't feel throwing money down the drain.. For $1K, you can buy many nice things, and for instance I'll get a pair of a nice floorstanding speakers.

My point was the bus speed though...look how high it is. There arent too many boards that can get up to 500 and over.

Too true,but I think 450'ish ~ is a possible goal with more then a few Intel boards out now..My board can go over 500 FSB with great stability.

Anyone have any ideas of when they will begin pre-ordering for the q9450 and q9550? I can then buy the 8800GTX with step up, everything will be perfect.

i picked up a qx6700.

not buying anymore until the 8 core is out.

I bought mine right after the QX6700 was released.
Running @ 3.4GHz will wait until this bitch pays me back:mad:
Then I'll get stupid, and buy another high priced chip that'll only be worth half after a few months.:D

yeah it probably theoretically can but I can't see many manufacturers making alot of them...

I'll buy the Ticks as well. Got a Q6600 so I can hold till Nehalem and new socket before considering a new upgrade. I plunged over 1500$ on my current computer the last few months.

Back