How many people are planning on upgrading (to R700 or G200)?

What will you be upgrading to this summer?

• ATi R700 based board (4850, 4870, etc)

Votes: 64 18.2%
  • nVidia G200 based board (260, 280, etc)

Votes: 114 32.5%
  • Undecided, but I'll be upgrading

Votes: 107 30.5%
  • I'll be sticking to my guns and hoping for a brighter future (and I'm not upgrading my GPU, either).

Votes: 66 18.8%

• Total voters
Apparently a lot of people are doing what I'm doing and waiting for some reputable numbers before committing. I can't blame them.

Obviously since none of these parts is available now no one has committed to anything. However there are those like myself who have SLI motherboards and so far it dosen't look like AMD is going to capture the performance crown so the GTX 280/260 is looking good to us.

Most likely going with a 4870 due to platform, power/heat. But I'll have to see the numbers first.

This is a nice feature of CrossFire. I kind of think that we may see this with the GTX 280/260 simply because nVidia said months ago that all that vas needed for multi-monitor SLI support was an undated driver. A new product launch would be a good time to release the new driver.

Unfortunately, this is not likely to happen. nVidia has had drivers to do this for quite some time, for much older chips. They instead have chosen to restrict them to the Quadro family, in order to force purchasing and drive up margins. (PNY, being the only authorized Quadro AIB, loves this too.) Reliable sources tell me that this is likely to remain the case, and best case for GeForce owners might be one monitor per card with no acceleration on the second in SLI.

I will probably go with a 4870 if the performance is up to snuff (e.g. fast enough to give a convincing reason to upgrade). With the GTX 260/280 costing a very prohibititive (for me at least) $449/649 and dissipating over 250W, I think I'll pass on NVIDIA this round. Not to mention I would have to either take a dremel to my current case or have to buy a new one to get it to fit, while ATi's cards will both come in at 9", since my 8800GT just has enough breathing room to begin with.

However if the ATi offering fails to perform (again) I may sit this next generation out.

hey guys, look at the poll. it's almost a 50-50% results. people are kind in the middle of the fence here.

I baught my EVGA GX2 SSC on April first. I only get to step up 1 time, so a GTX 280 is what I will be wanting. I can only hope it is going to shame a GX2. :cool:

I just knew I would be taking advantage of the step up program!! :D

Waiting until the 55nm refresh of the GT280..and Nehalem...then it's time to build a new rig ;)

I bought my EVGA 9800 GX2 on April 24th, so I am in line for a step-up to the GTX280 ;)

Found a family member who doesn't plan to use the evga stepup. Will be upgrading to a gt280 and giving him my current card.

I voted "Undecided, but I'll be upgrading."

I just ordered a new computer so that I can play Age of Conan with good framerates. It'll have the eVGA 750i SLI FTW motherboard, so I'm restricted to SLI and not CrossFire, but I prefer only one card anyway. I got the BFG Tech 8800 GTS OC 512MB video card, so that if the new nVidia cards are worth it, I can use BFG's Step-Up program. If I go with ATI, I'll just have to sell the 8800 GTS card.

The important thing is to wait for reviews, and see how the cards actually perform. I'm not making any choices on pre-release information.

Unless early benchmarks show a big disappointment, I will most likely be upgrading to the GTX 280. SLI 8800GT has served me fairly well (aside from some microstuttering issues), but I would really prefer to have one card rather than two, now that I've actually used SLI for a bit. I plan to trade up my BFG 8800GT to a GTX 280 and sell the other card to a friend who's going to need a PCI-E card soon when he upgrades his computer and can no longer use his AGP card.

Edit: Wanted to add that each 8800GT has a TDP of 110W (220W total), so the reported power consumption of a single GTX 280 isn't going to be that much of an increase for me, and thus isn't a concern in my situation.

I believe I'll be holding out with what I have, and doing a full build once Nehalem hits. I can still play all my games with satisfactory performance. It's rare I do a full build instead of peacemeal, but it's probably best to wait it out.

What I'm looking for is the best balance of performance and power consumption.

Obviously it depends on the reviews, but I'm leaning towards Crossfire 4870s. Why that instead of 280 GTX? Mostly for the sake of being different, and so I can use an x38 (or p45) motherboard.

Undecided/Sticking to my guns
Only game I play on the computer is World of Warcraft, little reason to buy a card for that game, It runs 1900 by 1200 2X AA and full settings and it looks fine to me.

Like others, I'm waiting to see what the reviews say. If it's a significant increase over my 8800 GTX, then I'll be stepping-up to the GTX280.

Upgrading for sure but waiting until the performance/power consumption/price comparisons are worked out. No multi-GPU or cut down chips for me though (learned my lesson with the GTS-640). It's either the 4870 1GB or GT280.

GTX 280 from eithier Evga,BFG,or maybe XFX.Likely in that order.I dont think we'll see any oc'd models at launch,but you never know.Unless the 200 series turns into a flop,
and everything we have heard is pr/lies.. Then ATI may get some money out of me,but
I highly doubt it !

I am very much hoping for a black PCB :eek:

I'm sticking with my overclocked GTS640 for now. I don't see a point in upgrading now, when only Crysis can push it to the limits.

think i'm just gonna stick to what i have (2 8800 gt's in sli). no point in me upgrading now all i play is cod4. i actually could do away with one of the 8800's but, everyone loves overkill :)

Just bought an X38 and q9450, so it will probably be 2x 4780 Crossfire. Will probably sell them for 2x 4780 X2 CrossfireX once released.

I am considering, however, sticking with 750i to run SLI if G200 proves a much better choice. So, undecided I reckon...

Being a very happy owner of HD3850 (AGP) card, Im hoping for ATI to put out at least one more gem, this time around. Power consumption is extremely important for my decision, since electricity is absurdly expensive here in Denmark (note: inflated prices coming to a country near you in the future, if they aren´t already with you guys who pick up the power bill yourself).

After studying the reviews, that we are so eagerly anticipating, my decision is going to fall on the candidate showing the best power/performance ratio. I don´t care about those last 20% fps in crysis, if it means an additional 50W. And of course, I am not interested in the potential massive amounts of heat the 280 version of the NVIDIA mega GPU might produce.

Other than the HD3850, I am looking to upgrade EVERYTHING this summer. Going Intel Quadcore 45nm on P45. This Athlon X2 4400, 2GB RAM slave is "dying" and killing my mood in the process, doing heavy 2D and some 3D work.

I'm getting the new top GT280 or what ever it is. My 8800gtx's last me for over a yea now, and starts to feel the stress of the new games. I only game at 1920X1200 most and most games AA is at max. I'm not going to wait. Silly people just wait and wait while others enjoy their great fast electronics gear. There is always something new round the corner. Two options, wait and wait with nothing great to play, or get todays stuff and enjoy it

option 4- stay away from most new games and stay on top of the video game market for half the price. i haven't really played anything new in over a year besides cod4, which ran ok on my 7800gt. now that i got a g92 card for $177 shipped, i can play the same games as everyone else who spent $400 on their gear a year ago.

i suppose age is a factor too... i remember being a kid, there was no waiting for anything...

∞Velocitymaster∞;1032565704 said:
I'm getting the new top GT280 or what ever it is. My 8800gtx's last me for over a yea now, and starts to feel the stress of the new games. I only game at 1920X1200 most and most games AA is at max. I'm not going to wait. Silly people just wait and wait while others enjoy their great fast electronics gear. There is always something new round the corner. Two options, wait and wait with nothing great to play, or get todays stuff and enjoy it

^ True ^ I bought my 8800 GTXs in Nov. 06 and haven't had to worry about playing 1920x1080 full throttle for 1 1/2+ now, and probably wouldn't for some time. The $500 I payed for the pair (eVGA StepUp) has paid off in spades.

Obviously it depends on the reviews, but I'm leaning towards Crossfire 4870s. Why that instead of 280 GTX? Mostly for the sake of being different, and so I can use an x38 (or p45) motherboard.
i feel the same way. it's almost like having a mac instead of a pc imo.

I don't really care for my current setup (2x 8800GTX) due to SLI issues, specifically the no multi-monitor support, but like others have said, there is literally no reason to upgrade other than Crysis, which I finished long ago and haven't played in months with no intentions of that changing any time soon. Right now, according to IGN's release date calender, there is nothing coming out until the end of August when Stalker: Clear Skies comes out, and from there its another long wait until Far Cry 2 and Fallout 3...

Hopefully the 55nm refresh cards will be out by then...maybe a GT/S 280 or something like that for $299-349. Otherwise, the 4870X2 might be a card worth considering...especially if it performs better than the 3870X2 did with the 3800 series.

option 4- stay away from most new games and stay on top of the video game market for half the price. i haven't really played anything new in over a year besides cod4, which ran ok on my 7800gt. now that i got a g92 card for $177 shipped, i can play the same games as everyone else who spent $400 on their gear a year ago.

Heh, yeah I'm in the same boat. As you get older and actually have a real life you don't have time to crunch through games like you did back in high school or college. I'm still slugging my way through F.E.A.R XP and have Bioshock and COD4 on my todo list. Doesn't help that most of the gaming I find time for is PS3 centric these days.

Still, it's nice to play with new toys so I'm still in the market for an upgrade even if I'm not going to throw anything too demanding at it anytime soon.

thats the thing though- for me the "new toys" are last years models. sure, ive been reading about them for a year, and seeing the pretty screenshots that make me jealous- but this isnt fashion, its not like im not cool for having a one year old video card... eh.. never mind i take that back. im sure in some groups that does mean i'm not cool heh....

but either way- bioshock, crysis, gears of war, assasins creed and other are all BRAND new games to me. and with the g92 card maxing them out it will be like a whole new pc for me. my last step up in the video game world was a 7800gt maxing out toca race driver 3 (barely) so this should be fairly dramatic to me.

I've never understood the whole "maxing" thing. In most games I've ever played competitively (BF2, CSS, TF2, COD2+4), the best players tend to keep their settings on low or medium just to have less chance of FPS drops and to make sure that there aren't any fancy shadowing or lighting effects obscuring their targets. It doesn't matter if they have a good or bad system, since they largely all do the same thing (even though there is no rule saying they have to run on any given settings).

I just buy whatever is the best price/power mix, and ATi usually does as good (if not better) than nVidia in most of those situations. Take, for example, the 8800 GT and the HD 3870. The 3870 launched at $230 while the 8800 was $250. With a $30 difference, it made sense for just about anybody to go for the extra 15 - 20% power. Now, however, the prices are about $150 for a HD 3870 and the 8800 GT still hovers at around $200. The $50 difference is large enough to have really increased ATi's ability to compete in mid-range (although it was already exellent, with the HD 3850 starting at $180).

I've never understood the whole "maxing" thing. In most games I've ever played competitively (BF2, CSS, TF2, COD2+4), the best players tend to keep their settings on low or medium just to have less chance of FPS drops and to make sure that there aren't any fancy shadowing or lighting effects obscuring their targets. It doesn't matter if they have a good or bad system, since they largely all do the same thing (even though there is no rule saying they have to run on any given settings).

You answered your own question. The people you described just want to point a cursor at something moving on the screen and click a button faster than everybody else and see their names on top of a list.

However, for a lot of other people playing offline games or casual online fragfests, the knowledge that you're getting the full graphical experience holds a lot of value. I only play single player games once and I want that one time to be "maxed out" since I'm never going back.

but either way- bioshock, crysis, gears of war, assasins creed and other are all BRAND new games to me.
Same here, I'm just building a new PC now and will be picking up a new card this month, then I have a long list of games to catch up on. The nice thing is, I can pick them up cheap now for $19 or $29.

Same here, I'm just building a new PC now and will be picking up a new card this month, then I have a long list of games to catch up on. The nice thing is, I can pick them up cheap now for $19 or $29.

hell yeah. i should admit though, some of the reason i havent upgraded sooner has been lack of money... but for the most part ive just been waiting for GRID. its here!

I just buy whatever is the best price/power mix, and ATi usually does as good (if not better) than nVidia in most of those situations. Take, for example, the 8800 GT and the HD 3870. The 3870 launched at $230 while the 8800 was $250. With a $30 difference, it made sense for just about anybody to go for the extra 15 - 20% power. Now, however, the prices are about $150 for a HD 3870 and the 8800 GT still hovers at around $200. The $50 difference is large enough to have really increased ATi's ability to compete in mid-range (although it was already exellent, with the HD 3850 starting at $180).

8800gt 512mb- $135 ar
shipped
hd3870- $136 ar shipped

I play at 2560x1600 so I'm going to need the newest and fastest but I'll also see what offers the best performance to price ratio. Im not going to be stupid with my money, especially if a refresh is imminent on a card thats newly released.

Also, I'm going to do a whole revamp of the system anyways (probably go watercooling) so this'll be interesting to see.

Back