How many right handed people are left handed gamers?

When i was first introduced to PC gaming, as opposed to console gaming it was about 6 or 7 years ago. Somewhere around the time the first unreal tournament came out and serious sam, and all those classics. My buddy who got me into it was also right handed, and as hard as it was for me to get used to mouse and keyboard from console, he told me that you game with your left. So on all FPS games and i guess all games, i use my left hand on the mouse, and the right hand to move back and forth on the keyboard.

Now some of my other buddies that are just getting into it are right handed and just automatically use there right hand on the mouse and left for keyboard. I guess i was under the impression because i was naive back then that you really do use your left hand on the mouse regardless of whether your right handed or left handed. Am i weird, or do alot of other righty's game with there left?

I know the point is basically do whichever feels most comfortable, and of course after doing lefty for like 5 years, left is much more comfortable to me than the right is. But perhaps i have limited myself, because i will never be as good with the left as i could eventually be with the right at aiming and such, hmmmm......

you know, I sense this thread will have some interesting responses.

But, if mouses then were made for left handers, I think we'd be in a different situation now. Now, most of us are conditioned right handers.

Im a leftie and I use the mouse with m left hand. the odd part is my index finger stays on the left button until I need to use theright one... it does slow me down in games but its how im comfy...
and there ARE lefty mosues out there. I prefer my logitech optical black oem mouse...its ps/2 of all things as well. its an either/or mouse.

I am a leftie and play with my right hand. Probably because the mouses at school all was on the right side so it kind of became natural to play with the right hand though I am an extreme lefty. Both left footed and left handed to extreme extents.

That said I think I would quite easily adopt using the mouse with my left hand however I can´t for my life use a joystick in my right hand. I have tried because I wanted some HOTAS setup but it´s absolutely impossible to learn for me.

I'm right handed and I use to game with my left hand, like back in the Doom 2 days for some reason. I forced myself to change to my right because I got tired of moving the mouse everytime I played and it became a pita when a friend and I would take turns playing.

I'm left handed, and I use my right hand for mouse , left hand for keyboard.

theres alot of lefties out there! Most lefties are using right hand on mouse, hmm.... I'd like to hear from some more righty's :)

TheCreator said:
I'm right handed and I use to game with my left hand, like back in the Doom 2 days for some reason. I forced myself to change to my right because I got tired of moving the mouse everytime I played and it became a pita when a friend and I would take turns playing.

Maybe you ported over from a console and you're used to having the primary directional controls on your left and your action buttons on your right.

Keyboard has the directional buttons on the right hand side too.

Lefty gaming lefty. Waiting for a lefthanded (or uni) wireless mouse with a recharge stand. Damn Logitech, damn them!

i can game with left or right...

when I first bought a computer back in mid 90's, i got the setup and games and DIDNT know anything of this crazy thing called W A S D

So i moused with my left, and keyboard with the right, then i got ahold of a game that did WASD and i started keyboarding with my left and mouse with the right..... Im weird?

the other year i was bunched up at a lan party so close to someone i had to switch over to using my left for mousing no biggy :)

and in the real world i Use BOTH hands, when i write I use my right hand but when I open up a locker I use my left to do the combination.

I'm also leftie, and I've always used the mouse with my left hand.....But I'll switch to right temporarily after a marathon gaming session if my wrist gets sore (like back when leveling up in Ultima Online).

im left handed and use right hand for the mouse. i also shoot a rifle with right hand and a pistol with my left hand.<in real life>. kick with my right foot. so im pretty messed up. :D

eggrock said:
Lefty gaming lefty. Waiting for a lefthanded (or uni) wireless mouse with a recharge stand. Damn Logitech, damn them!
QFT!!1 I am a lefty using a regular 2 button + wheel mouse (left handed, of course) just waiting for the day that Logitech or MS makes a GAMING mouse for the left handed people. Even though there are not many of us (more than you think!), you will corner the market by just mirroring your already successful right handed gaming mouse for lefties since mo one else is.

Journier said:
i can game with left or right...

when I first bought a computer back in mid 90's, i got the setup and games and DIDNT know anything of this crazy thing called W A S D

So i moused with my left, and keyboard with the right, then i got ahold of a game that did WASD and i started keyboarding with my left and mouse with the right..... Im weird?

the other year i was bunched up at a lan party so close to someone i had to switch over to using my left for mousing no biggy :)

and in the real world i Use BOTH hands, when i write I use my right hand but when I open up a locker I use my left to do the combination.

Use right hand to write and game (mouse)
Left hand for everyhting form opening jars, to keyboard

I'm an equal oppourtunist...

badasspenguin said:
Leftie that games righty here.
Ditto. Unfortunately, the only reason this is true, today, is because my computer desk was designed for the monitor to be on the left of the desk, leaving no room for a mouse. :(

Back